Defender-inspired baby due in 2021, two years before £100k-plus Defender Sport EV
9 December 2019

Land Rover is preparing to extend its model line-up in two bold directions over the next five years. The first will bring back the long-discussed entry-level Land Rover into the company’s cycle plan and the second is a new, more sporting, luxury version of the new Defender.

With an expected target price of around £25,000, the new entry-level five-door model will be cheaper in real terms than any previous Land Rover model. Believed to be codenamed L860, it is expected to arrive in 2021.

Meanwhile, the luxurious, fourth model in the Defender line-up is said to be a full four years away from being unveiled. It is expected to make its debut as a pure-electric model with sharper and leaner styling as well as a highly luxurious interior and a price well into six figures.

The £25,000 Land Rover’s styling is said to draw heavily on the new Defender as well as referencing the original iconic Land Rover. But it won’t be as square-edged and mechanical as the controversial 2011 DC100 concepts.

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

The interior is also expected to reference the lean and functional look used in the new Defender, although given the price difference, a reduction in equipment and space is likely.

It’s not yet known how the L860 will be branded. A junior Defender badge is unlikely because that new family is pitched at a more upmarket price point and a Discovery family badge could draw sales from the Discovery Sport.

That means it may get its own branding, possibly something as simple as the Land Rover 80, which would reference the wheelbase of the original Series 1 machines as well as sitting neatly below the badging of the new Defender.

It’s thought that the L860 is the third time in the past few years that Land Rover has attempted to secure a business case for a model that could tempt away buyers of mainstream compact SUVs, such as the Jeep Compass, Mini Countryman and Volkswagen Tiguan, while also competing with premium models like the BMW X1 and Volvo XC40.

Another solid business reason for the entry-level Land Rover is that the market for mid-sized SUVs across Europe is healthy and growing, with a current annual market of over 500,000 units. However, some reports suggest the car will also be sold in markets outside of Europe. The US and China are starting to embrace smaller SUV-style models, for instance.

The company’s need for such a car has also been hastened by incoming EU CO2 regulations and the requirement for the firm to hit an average of 130g/km of CO2 by 2021, ahead of another big cut in 2025.

Jaguar Land Rover is also mindful that it has a higher 2021 average CO2 target than most other car makers because it sells fewer than 300,000 vehicles across the EU. Such a target is still difficult to achieve, given the significant mix of large, heavy cars in the brand’s line-up.

The main hurdle for Land Rover in bringing the L860 to the showroom will be reducing development and construction costs by as much as possible in order to hit the ambitious showroom target price.

Today’s Discovery Sport is priced from £31,000 as, in real terms, was the Freelander 2 when it was released in 2006. With a mooted £25,000 entry price for the new car, it means Land Rover must engineer in significant cost savings.

The biggest part of the price calculation will be the type of platform underpinning the L860. It’s expected to use a new platform that Land Rover calls the D10 and parent firm Tata dubs the Omega-Arc (for Optimal Modular Efficient Global Advanced Architecture).

Omega-Arc underpins the new Tata Harrier, which was launched at the start of 2019. This is a cost-reduced but modernised version of Land Rover’s D8 steel platform used by the original Range Rover Evoque and Discovery Sport.

Reports from India say the engineering of the Omega-Arc benefited from input from Tata Steel, which helped reduce costs without affecting vehicle safety. The architecture will also accommodate a small battery pack, allowing the use of plug-in hybrid drivetrains.

The previous attempt to bring the L860 to market was also said to use this platform and the model would have been built alongside the Tata Harrier in India, although in a much more sophisticated form.

However, in January 2017, the Indian business press reported that the project had been cancelled by Land Rover in the wake of the Brexit vote and fears of a greater trade protectionism by then-new US president Donald Trump.

But reports from India say the Omega architecture was designed to be used by both Tata and Land Rover. For example, while it has one set of rear suspension mounting points, the Harrier is able to employ a basic beam axle whereas the new Land Rover will use a proper multi-link rear axle for both front and all-wheel-drive versions.

The L860 will also get a Land Rover-specific front suspension system and the front subframe will be significantly more refined than in the Harrier, which retails from around £18,000 in India.

The upshot is that the production L860 will have a substantially new platform, and plug-in capability and, in pursuit of maximum fuel economy, it’s expected to be launched with the upcoming 1.5-litre three-cylinder Ingenium engines in both turbocharged and mild-hybrid forms and most likely as front-wheel drive.

More powerful four-cylinder engines and all-wheel drive are entirely possible for the L860, but Land Rover will want to be careful not to undermine sales of the Discovery Sport.

A plug-in three-cylinder version is an option because of its potential to deliver low CO2 figures under the WLTP testing regime, something that would help offset the high CO2 figures of the larger Range Rover and Defender models.

With costs at the forefront of the project, it’s thought that the L860 will be built at Land Rover’s new plant in Slovakia, which benefits from much lower employee costs than in the UK and is located close to east European component suppliers. If all goes to plan, mules of the new vehicle should appear in early 2020 before the model is unveiled in the third quarter of 2021.

Meanwhile, the planned range-topping Defender Sport is in the early stages of its development, according to insiders. It’s expected to be the first pure-electric Defender family spin-off and is based on the new MLA architecture.

It will be a much more luxurious interpretation of the new model, with the kind of fixtures and fittings to rival the new Aston Martin DBX and the entry-level versions of the Bentley Bentayga, as well as being pure electric.

The aim is not only to help further reduce Land Rover’s fleet CO2 in time for even tougher 2025 regulations but also to produce a much more authentic and distinctive eco-friendly vehicle for the most upmarket car buyers.

One bonus is that it’s thought, thanks to the ultra-fine controllability of electric motors, the Defender Sport will still be as exceptionally capable off road as Land Rover’s current crop of models. However, it’ll be significantly more road-focused than the standard Defender.

READ MORE

Land Rover design chief Gerry McGovern on the Defender and future projects

New Land Rover Defender to star in 25th James Bond film

Range Rover Velar 2019 long-term review

Join the debate

Comments
32

9 December 2019

Both sound good to me, but they really need to give up on the Discovery line. Just focus on function ( LR/Defender ) and luxury ( RR ). Neither of the Discos sell that well, and for all of their talk of three different pillars ( Defender, Discovery and RR ), the Discovery  " brand " still has no USP imo. 

 

They should also consider consolidating the RR Velar and Sport into one single car, and making a 7 seat variant of the Vogue.

9 December 2019

god you talk rubbish, the DS is the second biggest seller in the entire JLR portfolio, after the Evoque, so please get your facts right, the D5 is also holding its own and has sold slightly less that D4 but more than D3, so again, please get ya facts right, The Discovery has no USP -LOL, funniest thing i have read for weeks, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.And as for Velar and Sport becoming one car, again, you have no idea the sport is a fast, uncompromising, hooligan, and the Velar is a more refined luxury cruising barge, softer sprung, better comfort and so on, yes i do know, we have one, and a D5, and why do they need to make a 7 seat version of the Vogue, its never been asked for, in vast numbers, and most are luxury barges for a business or small family, the XL version is the business version, if you want 7 seats get a D5 or DS.

9 December 2019
jonboy4969 wrote:

god you talk rubbish, the DS is the second biggest seller in the entire JLR portfolio, after the Evoque, so please get your facts right, the D5 is also holding its own and has sold slightly less that D4 but more than D3, so again, please get ya facts right, The Discovery has no USP -LOL, funniest thing i have read for weeks, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.And as for Velar and Sport becoming one car, again, you have no idea the sport is a fast, uncompromising, hooligan, and the Velar is a more refined luxury cruising barge, softer sprung, better comfort and so on, yes i do know, we have one, and a D5, and why do they need to make a 7 seat version of the Vogue, its never been asked for, in vast numbers, and most are luxury barges for a business or small family, the XL version is the business version, if you want 7 seats get a D5 or DS.

I can't work out whether you're a piss take or deluded. Either way, you talk complete bollocks.

9 December 2019
jonboy4969 wrote:

god you talk rubbish, the DS is the second biggest seller in the entire JLR portfolio, after the Evoque, so please get your facts right, the D5 is also holding its own and has sold slightly less that D4 but more than D3, so again, please get ya facts right, The Discovery has no USP -LOL, funniest thing i have read for weeks, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.And as for Velar and Sport becoming one car, again, you have no idea the sport is a fast, uncompromising, hooligan, and the Velar is a more refined luxury cruising barge, softer sprung, better comfort and so on, yes i do know, we have one, and a D5, and why do they need to make a 7 seat version of the Vogue, its never been asked for, in vast numbers, and most are luxury barges for a business or small family, the XL version is the business version, if you want 7 seats get a D5 or DS.

 

You share the same head-in-the-sand attitude as JLR management.

The SUV market is the largest market  in the world right now, but JLR sales figures are just ok - not great. They NEED to lead the market, but clearly aren't.

SUVs are literally Land Rover's bread and butter, yet they are not achieving best-ever sales levels. Clearly their products are not good enough - be that in terms of USPs, or chasing away customers with terrible quality.

9 December 2019

Popular car but just that bit to big from my point of view, X1/XC40 size is perfect,  I'd be first in the queue. along with plenty of others at a guess. 

9 December 2019
xxxx wrote:

Popular car but just that bit to big from my point of view, X1/XC40 size is perfect,  I'd be first in the queue. along with plenty of others at a guess. 

 

There it goes again, complete tosh, followed by the INEVITABLE (non) reason for not buying the car in question. Education was free for all children, seems you took a decade plus sickie. Pathetic grammar (to? big)...TOO, fool. Then full or in your case FOOL STOP following queue, followed by another word, lacking a capital letter, denoting start of a new sentence. FOOL.

 

You should be sentenced and the key chucked away. FOOL.

FM8

9 December 2019
Takeitslowly wrote:

xxxx wrote:

Popular car but just that bit to big from my point of view, X1/XC40 size is perfect,  I'd be first in the queue. along with plenty of others at a guess. 

 

There it goes again, complete tosh, followed by the INEVITABLE (non) reason for not buying the car in question. Education was free for all children, seems you took a decade plus sickie. Pathetic grammar (to? big)...TOO, fool. Then full or in your case FOOL STOP following queue, followed by another word, lacking a capital letter, denoting start of a new sentence. FOOL.

 

You should be sentenced and the key chucked away. FOOL.

Howdie NONCE. 

What's your opinion on the subject?  Do you think it's a good idea for JLR to enter this market sector?  Or, do you think they'll just end up producing yet another copy of their exisiting models, calling it premium and loading the list price to suit their delusional high opinion of themselves?Come on, lets hear something worthwhile from you.  Prove to us all you're not just a twat.

10 December 2019
FM8 wrote:

Takeitslowly wrote:

xxxx wrote:

Popular car but just that bit to big from my point of view, X1/XC40 size is perfect,  I'd be first in the queue. along with plenty of others at a guess. 

 

There it goes again, complete tosh, followed by the INEVITABLE (non) reason for not buying the car in question. Education was free for all children, seems you took a decade plus sickie. Pathetic grammar (to? big)...TOO, fool. Then full or in your case FOOL STOP following queue, followed by another word, lacking a capital letter, denoting start of a new sentence. FOOL.

 

You should be sentenced and the key chucked away. FOOL.

Howdie NONCE. 

What's your opinion on the subject?  Do you think it's a good idea for JLR to enter this market sector?  Or, do you think they'll just end up producing yet another copy of their exisiting models, calling it premium and loading the list price to suit their delusional high opinion of themselves?Come on, lets hear something worthwhile from you.  Prove to us all you're not just a twat.

 

So gratifying to find that YOU, the fool's alter ego, pays my posts such close attention, then responds. Oh and you missed out a FOOL stop, among other grammatical schoolchild errors...can you see where?. Fool. :)

FM8

10 December 2019
Takeitslowly wrote:

FM8 wrote:

Takeitslowly wrote:

xxxx wrote:

Popular car but just that bit to big from my point of view, X1/XC40 size is perfect,  I'd be first in the queue. along with plenty of others at a guess. 

 

There it goes again, complete tosh, followed by the INEVITABLE (non) reason for not buying the car in question. Education was free for all children, seems you took a decade plus sickie. Pathetic grammar (to? big)...TOO, fool. Then full or in your case FOOL STOP following queue, followed by another word, lacking a capital letter, denoting start of a new sentence. FOOL.

 

You should be sentenced and the key chucked away. FOOL.

Howdie NONCE. 

What's your opinion on the subject?  Do you think it's a good idea for JLR to enter this market sector?  Or, do you think they'll just end up producing yet another copy of their exisiting models, calling it premium and loading the list price to suit their delusional high opinion of themselves?Come on, lets hear something worthwhile from you.  Prove to us all you're not just a twat.

 

So gratifying to find that YOU, the fool's alter ego, pays my posts such close attention, then responds. Oh and you missed out a FOOL stop, among other grammatical schoolchild errors...can you see where?. Fool. :)

Yes! I thought you were ignoring me. I've told you before, back in your FMS days, I only exist because of you. I'll always be here. You haven't been around much, spending time on Porn Hub? How's the Micra running? Oh and you're not one to criticise other grammar, read back through many of your own posts.

18 December 2019
FM8 wrote:
Takeitslowly wrote:

FM8 wrote:

Takeitslowly wrote:

xxxx wrote:

Popular car but just that bit to big from my point of view, X1/XC40 size is perfect,  I'd be first in the queue. along with plenty of others at a guess. 

 

There it goes again, complete tosh, followed by the INEVITABLE (non) reason for not buying the car in question. Education was free for all children, seems you took a decade plus sickie. Pathetic grammar (to? big)...TOO, fool. Then full or in your case FOOL STOP following queue, followed by another word, lacking a capital letter, denoting start of a new sentence. FOOL.

 

You should be sentenced and the key chucked away. FOOL.

Howdie NONCE. 

What's your opinion on the subject?  Do you think it's a good idea for JLR to enter this market sector?  Or, do you think they'll just end up producing yet another copy of their exisiting models, calling it premium and loading the list price to suit their delusional high opinion of themselves?Come on, lets hear something worthwhile from you.  Prove to us all you're not just a twat.

 

So gratifying to find that YOU, the fool's alter ego, pays my posts such close attention, then responds. Oh and you missed out a FOOL stop, among other grammatical schoolchild errors...can you see where?. Fool. :)

Yes! I thought you were ignoring me. I've told you before, back in your FMS days, I only exist because of you. I'll always be here. You haven't been around much, spending time on Porn Hub? How's the Micra running? Oh and you're not one to criticise other grammar, read back through many of your own posts.

 

Why would anyone ignore the Autocar FOOL of the year?, two years in a row, no-one is going to bet against you retaining your title in 2020. When I rebuke YOU for YOUR grammatical errors, or for some of the many, they are highlighted for you and all to see...if you have examples to prove your point, then show them, or be rebuked for bringing your usual lazy postings to this forum. :)

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week