Skoda's new Chinese flagship mixes SUV practicality with coupe style, and will be offered with choice of two engines
Mark Tisshaw
16 November 2018

Skoda has revealed the new Kodiaq GT, the brand’s first SUV-coupé that will serve as its flagship model in China.

The GT is based on the existing five-door Kodiaq, which is already built in China for the domestic market alongside the Kamiq and Karoq SUVs. Although it shares its front end with the regular Kodiaq, the GT loses the third-row seating option and has a sloping roofline that leads to a squat rear end.

The Kodiaq GT, which was revealed at this week's Guangzhou motor show, will be built and – for now – exclusively sold in China. It will be in dealerships there before the end of the year, manufactured as part of a joint venture between local car maker SAIC and Skoda.

Matching a design trend that will be seen on the upcoming Scala family hatchback, the Kodiaq GT features the Skoda name in letters on the bootlid, rather than the firm’s logo.

The Kodiaq GT will be offered with a choice of 184bhp and 217bhp 2.0-litre turbo petrol engines, with front-wheel drive and four-wheel drive respectively. The more powerful engine also features a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox.

While the Kodiaq GT is currently only intended for the Chinese market, the firm is understood to be keen to offer it elsewhere following a positive reception. However, Skoda is currently running at production capacity in Europe and has nowhere to build it, delaying a potential introduction. 

Previously released shots of the interior can be seen to share much with the regular Kodiaq, but with a sportier seat design to reflect a more athletic identity.

Our Verdict

Skoda Kodiaq

Skoda jumps into the SUV market with both feet — and seven seats, but can the Kodiaq win the people's hearts in an already congested SUV market?

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

The Kodiaq GT will look to replicate the success premium brands such as BMW and Mercedes-Benz have had with SUV-coupés, with the BMW X4 and X6, as well as the Mercedes-Benz GLC Coupé and GLE Coupé.

Skoda will look to achieve that at a lower price point, and is the latest car maker to offer an SUV-coupé in emerging markets soon after Renault revealed the Arkana for sale in Russia.

Skoda has said the new model will be 4.6 metres long. Previous information revealed to Chinese media confirmed it to be 4634mm long, 1883mm wide and 1649mm high, making it 63mm shorter, 1mm wider and 27mm lower than the regular model. Prices are set to start at around CNY220,000 (around £24,500).

Read more

Skoda Karoq review

Facelifted Skoda Fabia priced at £12,840

Skoda Scala prototype drive 

Join the debate

Comments
30

31 July 2018

The design is surprisingly convincing, certainly better than most SUV coupes, though perhaps thats because it isn't as rakish. But it doesn't seem to fit in with Skoda's ethos of putting function ahead of form. Surely SEAT should be launching this not Skoda.

31 July 2018
Will86 wrote:

The design is surprisingly convincing, certainly better than most SUV coupes, though perhaps thats because it isn't as rakish. But it doesn't seem to fit in with Skoda's ethos of putting function ahead of form. Surely SEAT should be launching this not Skoda.

Be patient. No doubt a Skoda version is just around the corner. And a VW. And an Audi. And a Porsche. And a...

31 July 2018
Will86 wrote:

The design is surprisingly convincing, certainly better than most SUV coupes, though perhaps thats because it isn't as rakish. But it doesn't seem to fit in with Skoda's ethos of putting function ahead of form. Surely SEAT should be launching this not Skoda.

Its surprisingly convincing because it’s not a coupe. It has too many doors to start with, but if we accept  that a large SUV can be mated with a coupe body to form an SUV coupe, then this isn’t it. It is an SUV with a roofline than suddenly slopes at the rear and a redesigned bumper than gives the impression the rear is tapered. Coupe like. The Frankenstein’s creation that started this anomaly, the BMW X6, is terrible ugly but at least tries with its swooping looks and low roofline. I’m sorry if I offend anyone, but it’s a dam fool who buys this type of thing. 

1 August 2018
Viscount Biscuit wrote:

Will86 wrote:

The design is surprisingly convincing, certainly better than most SUV coupes, though perhaps thats because it isn't as rakish. But it doesn't seem to fit in with Skoda's ethos of putting function ahead of form. Surely SEAT should be launching this not Skoda.

Its surprisingly convincing because it’s not a coupe. It has too many doors to start with, but if we accept  that a large SUV can be mated with a coupe body to form an SUV coupe, then this isn’t it. It is an SUV with a roofline than suddenly slopes at the rear and a redesigned bumper than gives the impression the rear is tapered. Coupe like. The Frankenstein’s creation that started this anomaly, the BMW X6, is terrible ugly but at least tries with its swooping looks and low roofline. I’m sorry if I offend anyone, but it’s a dam fool who buys this type of thing. 

It is a damn fool who buys this thinking and telling others it is a coupe. As you say it isn't, but it is a nicer version of the Kodiak. The X4 and X6 look disgusting and stupid. The coupe version of the GLC and GLE equally so. The Q8 at least is not a direct bastardisation of the Q7 so at the very least has some individuality going for it.

What a world.

17 October 2018
Viscount Biscuit wrote:

Its surprisingly convincing because it’s not a coupe. It has too many doors to start with, but if we accept  that a large SUV can be mated with a coupe body to form an SUV coupe, then this isn’t it. It is an SUV with a roofline than suddenly slopes at the rear and a redesigned bumper than gives the impression the rear is tapered. Coupe like. The Frankenstein’s creation that started this anomaly, the BMW X6, is terrible ugly but at least tries with its swooping looks and low roofline. I’m sorry if I offend anyone, but it’s a dam fool who buys this type of thing. 

The term "coupe" doesn't determine the number of doors. Instead it refers to the raked roofline. Only convention has resulted in coupes being primarily two-door models, with a number of notable exceptions.

17 October 2018

@aatbloke,

Nope you are plain wrong on that. Coupe has always denoted two doors and a smaller passenger compartment.

17 October 2018
scrap wrote:

@aatbloke,

Nope you are plain wrong on that. Coupe has always denoted two doors and a smaller passenger compartment.

Look it up,for crying out loud.

Don't just assume.

Coupe is French for cut. The car could be shorter, lower, or even narrower than the vehicle on which it's based; the number of doors is immaterial. Look at the Rover P5B coupe from the '60s.

18 October 2018
scrap wrote:

@aatbloke,

Nope you are plain wrong on that. Coupe has always denoted two doors and a smaller passenger compartment.

The ignorance is astonishing. The word pertains to the roofline, from the French verb coupe, "to cut." It has nothing to do with the number of doors. Remember the famous Rover P5 four-door coupe? Of course you don't.

 

29 April 2019
CBD has proved to be a healing compound with a wide medicinal utility from the rejuvenation of injured bone tissue through bone marrow cells development, treating an overactive immune mechanism, and also acts as a powerful antibiotic to heal pain resulting from infection. Besides the anticonvulsant, anti-inflammatory, insomnia regulating, pain alleviating and analgesic characteristic of CBD has made researchers clamour for more investigation on this curative hemp plant cannabinoid. buy cbn isolate

FMS

16 November 2018
Will86 wrote:

The design is surprisingly convincing, certainly better than most SUV coupes, though perhaps thats because it isn't as rakish. But it doesn't seem to fit in with Skoda's ethos of putting function ahead of form. Surely SEAT should be launching this not Skoda.

 

Skoda offers style and function these days and so it should...why must it remain bogged down in the 90's mentality of cheap cars, when the buying public clearly like what new direction they are taking and do note the piece where it confirms that they are unable to find production space, due to working at full capacity. Ethos?, wake up rip van winkle.

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week