A new study by the SMMT has found that almost half of people with mobility disabilities will benefit from autonomous cars

Half of mobility-limited people and six in ten overall would have a higher quality of life with an autonomous and connected vehicle, a new study conducted by the SMMT has shown.

71% of respondents aged between 17 and 24 saw autonomous cars bringing improvement to their lives – the most positive demographic – although the general population was 56% positive overall. This still leaves 44% not feeling positive. However, trust of the public is often cited as a barrier-to-entry for autonomous cars.

The two largest stress-relieving attractions for those surveyed were autonomous braking and self-diagnosis of faults, although the main benefit of those surveyed was the comparative ease of going out; 49% of those with mobility-related disabilities said that an autonomous car would allow them to leave the house more often.

More widely, the advent of mobility schemes promises money savings for young people, with 29% agreeing that the cost of owning and running a car was restrictive, while 33% dubbed public transport as too expensive and infrequent.

Mike Hawes, the SMMT’s chief executive said: “The benefits of connected and autonomous vehicles are life-changing, offering more people greater independence, freedom to socialise, work and earn more, and access services more easily. While fully autonomous cars will be a step change for society, this report shows people are already seeing their benefits. The challenge now is to create the conditions that will allow this technology to thrive, given how it will deliver wider societal advantages.”

Professor Will Stewart, vice president of the Institution of Engineering and Technology, added: “Driverless vehicles have huge potential to transform the UK’s transport network and acceptance is growing, but there is work to be done before everyone is won over. There is a great opportunity to educate these groups about the benefits and potential offered by this new technology.

“The benefits of driverless cars are improved road safety, reduced congestion, roads free of parked cars and lower emissions. Wider public acceptance and trust are crucial, particularly for the older generation, who stand to benefit hugely with increased mobility, so the trials currently taking place must get to grips with the best ways to win over everyone – from car manufacturers to consumers – to the benefits of driverless cars.”

Read more: 

Mercedes-AMG S 63 to get more power and advanced autonomous systems

BMW iNext to benefit from £12bn autonomous car tech deal

Toyota i-TRIL previews autonomous electric city car

Goodyear Eagle 360 Urban tyre revealed with artificial intelligence

Our Verdict

Tesla Model S 95D

In theory, this all-electric luxury car looks a hit. So is it in practice?

Join the debate

Comments
4

30 March 2017
Trust is a major barrier but, with the horrendous development costs purchase price will, I suspect, be the greatest barrier to all except very well-healed early adopters.

Citroëniste.

30 March 2017
... the luddite cave dewellers stop progress! "If I asked people what they wanted they would have said faster horses"

 

 

 

30 March 2017
I would have thought the main benefit would be that you could use the autonomous mobile phone and perhaps make mad love behind darkened windows(blackened totally?) while going to work or to the shops, it could while away the tedium of travelling alone and if you get lonely you could always get the bus...or the train.

30 March 2017
That's nice but don't try and push the autonomous technology on to people that don't want it. Let us hope it remains an expensive optional extra on cars in the years to come.

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

  • Lexus LC500
    Car review
    20 October 2017
    Futuristic Lexus LC coupé mixes the latest technology with an old-school atmospheric V8
  • Maserati Levante S GranSport
    First Drive
    20 October 2017
    Get ready to trade in your diesels: Maserati’s luxury SUV finally gets the engine it’s always needed
  • Jaguar XF Sportbrake TDV6
    First Drive
    19 October 2017
    The handsome Jaguar XF Sportbrake exhibits all the hallmarks that makes the saloon great, and with the silky smooth diesel V6 makes it a compelling choice
  • Volkswagen T-Roc TDI
    First Drive
    19 October 2017
    Volkswagen's new compact crossover has the looks, the engineering and the build quality to be a resounding success, but not with this diesel engine
  • BMW M550i
    First Drive
    19 October 2017
    The all-paw M550i is a fast, effortless mile-muncher, but there's a reason why it won't be sold in the UK