New spy shots of Volvo’s upcoming small SUV suggest that its design will stay true to that of Volvo's striking 2016 concept

The 2018 Volvo XC40 has been spotted testing on UK roads ahead of its anticipated 2018 market launch.

Despite the heavy camouflaging, we know the car, which has also been seen in continental Europe, will use a design influenced by the 2016 Concept 40.1 and introduce a new 1.5-litre three-cylinder petrol engine when it's launched in 2018.

Volvo XC40 review 

As shown by the spotted development vehicles, the upcoming rival to the Audi Q3BMW X1 and Mercedes-Benz GLA has an angled tailgate and butch nose design like Volvo's 2016 concept, suggesting the production model will also inherit the new light designs of that car.

Volvo's engineers have fitted a large section of camouflage in front of the recently spotted XC40's C-pillars, hinting at an unconventional window line, likely resembling the angled one that was seen on the concept.

Speaking to Autocar earlier this spring at the launch of the London Taxi Company's (LTC) new electric taxi - which Volvo has helped develop - Volvo CEO Håkan Samuelsson hinted that a new three-pot engine would be introduced to the range via the XC40 by stating that it's destined for an upcoming CMA-based model (which the XC40 is).

The engine is derived from Volvo’s existing four-cylinder 2.0-litre unit, and will be joined by both diesel and petrol engines, with and without turbocharging, in the XC40 line-up.

The new three-cylinder engine will also be available in hybrid guise, producing 180bhp and mated to a 74bhp electric motor. This setup is similar to the one used in the LTC electric taxi, but Samuelsson explained that the Volvo's main power source would be the three-cylinder, whereas that car uses the engine purely to charge its batteries.

The front-wheel-drive XC40 hybrid, called the T5 Twin Engine, will have a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox which will also receive direct input from the electric motor. The hybrid will be capable of driving up to 30 miles under electric power alone.

The new XC40 will be the first Volvo to use the brand’s Compact Modular Architecture (CMA) which will underpin several more of Volvo's models, as well as by its parent company Geely, for its Chinese-market models.

If the XC40 follows the trend set by the larger XC60, which will launch this year as a Jaguar F-Pace rival, it could feature a sportier set-up than previously on regular Volvos in order to cater to European demand for sharper-handling cars.

Given its place in the small SUV segment, the XC40 will likely be priced competitively against its rivals which all cost from slightly more than £25,000. Higher-specification XC40s could also be considered as rivals to the Range Rover Evoque, which is priced from £30,600.

The XC40 is expected to be revealed later this year as the first of three 40 series range models. It'll be followed by a S40 saloon and V40 Estate in 2019. The latter car will be available in both regular and the more rugged Cross Country guises.

Our Verdict

Volvo V40

Volvo tilts at the hatchback elite and aims to woo business drivers

Join the debate

Comments
12

6 February 2017
By 2019 at the earliest the V40 will be hopelessly outclassed. Volvo, to keep in touch in this segment you need to think ahead.

 

Hydrogen cars just went POP

6 February 2017
In your guide to Geneva 2017 motor show, you say it will be the XC60 that will get revealed. But here you say XC40. Which one is it? Or is it both?

6 February 2017
The hybrid powertrain sounds interesting, but as this car I presume will be smaller than the current XC60, by the time they stuff the hybrid bits in you will end up with another compromised 'no boot' car. For all its faults no one has learnt from the Mitsubishi PHEV, its one big point (for all its plenty other faults) is 'no compromises needed' so big boot, plenty of cabin space. Not that its cleverly packaged, there are plenty of wasted spaces onboard but they took as a base a vehicle big enough in the first place to stash all the stuff on and still leave a usable family vehicle. Its sad because the market is crying out for family friendly low company car tax vehicles and that cry is going to get much louder next few years.

6 February 2017
The Apprentice wrote:

The hybrid powertrain sounds interesting, but as this car I presume will be smaller than the current XC60, by the time they stuff the hybrid bits in you will end up with another compromised 'no boot' car.

I take it you havent heard of the XC90 T8 Hybrid, 7 seater with a decent boot. Volvo designed it from scratch to be a hybrid, and it is therefore not compromised, unlike the similar sized Q7, which has its two rearmost seats removed in hybrid form making it strictly a 5 seater.

7 February 2017
Citytiger wrote:
The Apprentice wrote:

The hybrid powertrain sounds interesting, but as this car I presume will be smaller than the current XC60, by the time they stuff the hybrid bits in you will end up with another compromised 'no boot' car.

I take it you havent heard of the XC90 T8 Hybrid, 7 seater with a decent boot. Volvo designed it from scratch to be a hybrid, and it is therefore not compromised, unlike the similar sized Q7, which has its two rearmost seats removed in hybrid form making it strictly a 5 seater.

Of course I know of that, but its beyond reach for most people as it costs £60,000+ £25,000 more than the Mitsubishi.

7 February 2017
Citytiger wrote:
The Apprentice wrote:

The hybrid powertrain sounds interesting, but as this car I presume will be smaller than the current XC60, by the time they stuff the hybrid bits in you will end up with another compromised 'no boot' car.

I take it you havent heard of the XC90 T8 Hybrid, 7 seater with a decent boot. Volvo designed it from scratch to be a hybrid, and it is therefore not compromised,.....

Does that mean the normal volume seller Diesel engined version is a compromise then?

 

Hydrogen cars just went POP

7 February 2017
xxxx wrote:
Citytiger wrote:
The Apprentice wrote:

The hybrid powertrain sounds interesting, but as this car I presume will be smaller than the current XC60, by the time they stuff the hybrid bits in you will end up with another compromised 'no boot' car.

I take it you havent heard of the XC90 T8 Hybrid, 7 seater with a decent boot. Volvo designed it from scratch to be a hybrid, and it is therefore not compromised,.....

Does that mean the normal volume seller Diesel engined version is a compromise then?

No version is compromised, the platform was designed from scratch to accept petrol, diesel or plug in hybrid power. Hence the reason that irrespective of what powers it, it retains 7 seats. Not all markets are dominated by diesel sales, and the plug in Hybrid T8 is actually selling better than expected.. Its currently a petrol hybrid, but because of a bit of forward planning, Volvo can also without much effort turn it into a diesel hybrid, but at the moment they are not planning to.

Heated Steering Wheel, Heated Front Windscreen, Heated Washer Nozzles, Headlamp Cleaners
£525. Family

Integrated Sun Curtains - Rear Doors, Power Child Locks (Rear Doors), Integrated 2-Stage Booster Cushion for Centre Seat, 2nd Row, Load Protection Net
£450. and the sat nav map appears in the instrument binnacle between the speedo and rev counter.
Any other questions xxxxCap?

23 March 2017
Citytiger wrote:
xxxx wrote:
Citytiger wrote:
The Apprentice wrote:

The hybrid powertrain sounds interesting, but as this car I presume will be smaller than the current XC60, by the time they stuff the hybrid bits in you will end up with another compromised 'no boot' car.

I take it you havent heard of the XC90 T8 Hybrid, 7 seater with a decent boot. Volvo designed it from scratch to be a hybrid, and it is therefore not compromised,.....

Does that mean the normal volume seller Diesel engined version is a compromise then?

No version is compromised, the platform was designed from scratch to accept petrol, diesel or plug in hybrid power. Hence the reason that irrespective of what powers it, it retains 7 seats. Not all markets are dominated by diesel sales, and the plug in Hybrid T8 is actually selling better than expected.. Its currently a petrol hybrid, but because of a bit of forward planning, Volvo can also without much effort turn it into a diesel hybrid, but at the moment they are not planning to.

Heated Steering Wheel, Heated Front Windscreen, Heated Washer Nozzles, Headlamp Cleaners
£525. Family

Integrated Sun Curtains - Rear Doors, Power Child Locks (Rear Doors), Integrated 2-Stage Booster Cushion for Centre Seat, 2nd Row, Load Protection Net
£450. and the sat nav map appears in the instrument binnacle between the speedo and rev counter.
Any other questions xxxxCap?

Qu: If you want heated nozzles and powered child locks for safety reasons why do Volvo charge £1,000 on their cars including ones costing £40,000 + when other manufactures give it away or charge £35 (nozzles) like Skoda? Also, if you design a car to accept either petrol and petrol/Hybrid then of course there's compromises!

 

Hydrogen cars just went POP

7 February 2017
The hybrid bits will not be in the boot. Think floor.

6 February 2017
Lets hope the window line doesn't follow that of the 40.1 concept.
Peugeot have shown with the 3008 that is possible to design a stylish and modern SUV without the silly angled rear pillar and reduced glass area so many of these models have slavishly copied in recent years. Its time to move on.

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

  • Seat Arona 1.5 TSI EVO FR
    First Drive
    17 January 2018
    Seat is on a roll with the Ateca and Ibiza; can they score a hat trick with the new Arona?
  • Jaguar E-Pace D240
    First Drive
    17 January 2018
    With much riding on the success of the Jaguar E-Pace, we have been impressed with the mid-level diesel version, but now its time for the most powerful oilburner to go under the spotlight
  • Vauxhall VXR8 GTS-R
    Car review
    12 January 2018
    Vauxhall bids farewell to its line of Aussie performance legends in some style with the limited edition VXR8 GTS-R
  • Alfa Romeo Stelvio
    Car review
    12 January 2018
    Alfa Romeo’s first SUV aims to hoist the handling panache of the Giulia saloon
  • Volkswagen Polo 1.0 TSI
    First Drive
    11 January 2018
    Sixth-generation Volkswagen Polo arrives in the UK with a emphasis on safety and refinement. Could that be enough to see it become supermini king?