There will be 999 units of the two-door coupé, which has only two carryovers from a standard Range Rover

The new Range Rover SV Coupé means Land Rover can compete more directly than ever before with a plethora of luxury SUVs, including the Bentley Bentayga, Lamborghini Urus and forthcoming Rolls-Royce Cullinan.

The two-door SV Coupé will start from £240,000. Land Rover’s most expensive model to date has been the SVAutobiography LWB, priced from £177,030.

JLR SVO boss: Range Rover SV Coupé can take on Bentayga

Although Range Rover models have an SUV heritage that its new rivals lack, this is the first time that Land Rover has been able to offer a car at the same exclusive, high-end level.

Like the SVAutobiography, the SV Coupé falls under Jaguar Land Rover’s Special Vehicle Operations division, which has been ramping up its activities over the past couple of years.

As well as creating the Range Rover SVAutobiography, SVO is responsible for the Range Rover Sport SVR and for the Discovery SVX that will arrive later this year. These cars focus on the three core areas of luxury (SV), high performance (SVR) and off-road (SVX), with more models planned for each. The Range Rover Sport SVR is currently the division’s most successful product and sells 2500 units a year.

Opinion: Why the Range Rover SV Coupé can justify its stratospheric price

The SV Coupé differs in that it is a so-called Collector’s Edition, in a similar vein to the 2017 Jaguar XE SV Project 8 and 2014 F-Type Project 7. The SV Coupé is limited to a production run of 999 units and the first deliveries are due this autumn.

Our Verdict

Range Rover SVAutobiography

We drive - and fittingly, are driven in - JLR's latest Special Vehicle Operations creation: the ultra-luxurious Range Rover SVAutobiography

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

It is the first model to be built from the ground up at SVO’s Technical Centre in Coventry. While the Project 8 starts with a standard XE body and is then modified, SVO has created a unique body the SV Coupé. It uses the platform of a standard Range Rover with minor modifications and builds its own bodyshell on to that.

How Autocar personalised a fantasy Range Rover SV Coupé

The only remaining parts from a standard Range Rover are the bonnet and the lower half of the tailgate.

The two-door SV Coupé has very similar dimensions to a standard four-door Range Rover. The car is 8mm lower and 13mm longer. It is also offered with 23in wheels, a first for Land Rover.

Land Rover design director Gerry McGovern described the model as a “lady or gentleman’s chariot”. He said: “It has compelling proportions and real presence. This isn’t a vehicle for the shy. It is a very sophisticated design.”

He said he had tried to create a balance of “performance prowess” and formality.

Although the SV Coupé is a nod to the first Range Rover, the two-door Series 1, it wasn’t the reason for the car’s creation. “It pays homage but we weren’t trying to replicate that vehicle,” said McGovern.

The optional two-tone seats – the rear seats are a darker leather and the front ones are lighter – are intended to highlight the model’s driver focus. “Chauffeurs who drive the Queen have the seat colours the other way round [dark in the front, light in the rear],” said McGovern. “This way makes it far more road-oriented.”

He also said the model “talks to exclusivity” and will have “a very good halo effect on Range Rover in terms of building its equity”.

When asked whether a standard Range Rover coupé could ever make production, he said: “It depends on what volume potential is there. Coupés generally don’t have a high uptake. For the same price, you can get a car with four doors, so it’s a practicality issue. So as a mainstream vehicle, I don’t know. You could argue a Velar coupé would look great. But we know the volume doesn’t normally justify it.”

Although the SV Coupé is a design-focused model, it is also the fastest full-sized Range Rover yet, achieving 0-62mph in 5.3sec and a top speed of 165mph. The Range Rover Sport SVR remains the quickest in the line-up, covering the 0-62mph sprint in 4.5sec.

The SV Coupé uses the same powertrain as the Range Rover SVAutobiography LWB: a 5.0-litre supercharged V8 petrol engine producing 557bhp and 516lb ft mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission with a rotary drive selector and paddle shifters.

It has permanent four-wheel drive with a two-speed transfer box and active locking rear differential assisted by Land Rover’s Terrain Response 2 system, which has six settings that alter the car’s responses to suit different terrain.

The 8mm-lower ride height over a standard Range Rover delivers “enhanced dynamic performance and aesthetics”, claims Land Rover. The car can lower itself by 15mm above 65mph to improve stability and fuel economy.

The suspension has five height settings, including the most extreme Off Road 2, which raises the car 75mm above its normal ride height at up to 31mph. On top of that, it increases by 30-40mm if an obstacle is detected and a further manually selectable 30-40mm rise above that is available. The SV Coupé has a 3500kg towing capability, the same as a standard Range Rover and Bentley Bentayga, and a 900mm maximum wading depth.

Inside, the two-tone leather interior is available in a choice of four dual colours as well as four single-tone colours. There are heated and cooled 20-way- adjustable front and 10-way- adjustable rear seats with a unique diamond quilt design.

SVO has also created a new veneer inspired by boat design and called Nautica veneer, which will eventually be rolled out to other special models. It uses a patented new form-following process to fuse walnut and sycamore together. Two other veneer options are also available.

The car features power- close doors for the first time on a Range Rover. “The doors are so large [1.4m long] you can’t reach,” said SVO director Mark Stanton. “It’s an essential.”

The SV Coupé’s infotainment system echoes that of recent Range Rovers such as the Velar. Its InControl Touch Pro Duo system includes a 10.0in display, 10.0in control panel and 12.0in interactive driver display. There is also a 10.0in head-up display and a 1700W 23-speaker Meridian 3D Signature sound system.

Read more

Range Rover Velar review 

Range Rover SVAutobiography review

Range Rover Sport SVR

Join the debate

Comments
51

6 March 2018

Is this a Type 'O? If not then surely the Fraud squad should be informed!

typos1 - Just can’t respect opinion

6 March 2018

Answer: it isn't, any more than a bus is a taxi.

6 March 2018
Byzantine wrote:

Answer: it isn't, any more than a bus is a taxi.

 

I agree. Maybe I could get away with marketing a screwdriver as an angle-grinder, would be just as convincing.

Citroëniste.

6 March 2018
xxxx wrote:

Is this a Type 'O? If not then surely the Fraud squad should be informed!

Really? But putting a Maybach badge on a S-class is ok. At least there is something different done to this compared to the standard model. The Maybach is lipstick on a pig compared to this.

7 March 2018
GODFATHER wrote:

 

But putting a Maybach badge on a S-class is ok...The Maybach is lipstick on a pig compared to this.

The Maybach sells. Around 25k over 3 years (compared to about 33k XJs over the same period - and dropping rapidly). You, and I, might not like the car, but it makes money in China and elsewhere. JLR is pissing about with easy but unsustainable sideshows - reborn E-Types & XKSSs, XE Project 8, XF roadster thing, the V8 Defender, this and even the I-Pace (its a bespoke vehicle). Where is their line up of hybrids? Where is the compact estate? Where is their entry level 1-series/A-class/etc. fighter to grab young customers? Where are their fixes for unreliable electrics and infotaintment (see Autoexpress, Telegraph's and other magazines long term test reviews)?

7 March 2018
k12479 wrote:

GODFATHER wrote:

 

But putting a Maybach badge on a S-class is ok...The Maybach is lipstick on a pig compared to this.

The Maybach sells. Around 25k over 3 years (compared to about 33k XJs over the same period - and dropping rapidly). You, and I, might not like the car, but it makes money in China and elsewhere. JLR is pissing about with easy but unsustainable sideshows - reborn E-Types & XKSSs, XE Project 8, XF roadster thing, the V8 Defender, this and even the I-Pace (its a bespoke vehicle). Where is their line up of hybrids? Where is the compact estate? Where is their entry level 1-series/A-class/etc. fighter to grab young customers? Where are their fixes for unreliable electrics and infotaintment (see Autoexpress, Telegraph's and other magazines long term test reviews)?

How many of those 25k would take this over a Maybach? There are your 999 customers, the units will be gone faster then they will be made. This will sell easily whether people like it or not.

As for JLR reliability, is may be questionable but what the unintelligent public have yet to realise is the Mercedes or any German brand (bar porsche with the same old 911) are just as bad. Just take a look at any survey done by car magazines in America which always shows the JAPANESE as by and far the best. The German are sub standard reliability - good old German engineering hey. 

Don’t forget the bespoke I-pace has beaten all rival premium brands to the market which is a accomplishment in itself, considering the funding difference. That I-pace will promote jaguar as a Tesla rival and promote jaguar as the most enviroment friendly premium brand hence the reason why the Germans are trying to get in on the action by running camo cars in Geneva and do their own camo spy shots. Plus That same platform is also the basis for the next XJ and the new Road Rover. 

The sub compact will come later but right now is the time to move in electric and my god has Jaguar shown what it’s made of. This is one of them moments that the British people can be really proud.

7 March 2018
GODFATHER wrote:

How many of those 25k would take this over a Maybach?

DIfferent market. It's how many would take a Maybach over an S500/S600 and the additional fat margin that ensues. That's easy money. What you can't do is build a sustainable business model off 'reborn' vehicles and sideshow projects.

GODFATHER wrote:

As for JLR reliability, is may be questionable...

As I said, take a look at Auto Express's long term review - a load of issues, back to dealer, still issues. The Telegraph couldn't even finish their long term test because the car was still being fixed. Manufacturers are often accused of giving the press specially prepared examples, not specially selected duds. Other media, e.g. in the US, reported similar issues,

GODFATHER wrote:

Don’t forget the bespoke I-pace has beaten all rival premium brands to the market which is a accomplishment in itself, considering the funding difference....Plus That same platform is also the basis for the next XJ and the new Road Rover.

Different platform. What JLR have done is invest in a bespoke vehicle with the associated high costs and then invest again in a new platform, but too close together to glean much experience from the first to feed into the second. No one outsources production of vehicles that are critical to your line-up going forward. Ignoring the hype and PR, this is a miss-step. It should have either been earlier to provide useful learning or it should have been the first off a common platform.

7 March 2018
k12479 wrote:

GODFATHER wrote:

How many of those 25k would take this over a Maybach?

DIfferent market. It's how many would take a Maybach over an S500/S600 and the additional fat margin that ensues. That's easy money. What you can't do is build a sustainable business model off 'reborn' vehicles and sideshow projects.

GODFATHER wrote:

As for JLR reliability, is may be questionable...

As I said, take a look at Auto Express's long term review - a load of issues, back to dealer, still issues. The Telegraph couldn't even finish their long term test because the car was still being fixed. Manufacturers are often accused of giving the press specially prepared examples, not specially selected duds. Other media, e.g. in the US, reported similar issues,

GODFATHER wrote:

Don’t forget the bespoke I-pace has beaten all rival premium brands to the market which is a accomplishment in itself, considering the funding difference....Plus That same platform is also the basis for the next XJ and the new Road Rover.

Different platform. What JLR have done is invest in a bespoke vehicle with the associated high costs and then invest again in a new platform, but too close together to glean much experience from the first to feed into the second. No one outsources production of vehicles that are critical to your line-up going forward. Ignoring the hype and PR, this is a miss-step. It should have either been earlier to provide useful learning or it should have been the first off a common platform.

 

Firstly they ARE direct rivals even if they exist in different categories. Rival are two products which purchaser cross-shop between. They are both luxury vehicles with the same price which can be driven or chauffeured in. They are also both the top models in the brands range and both seen as a status symbol. The GLS is a more direct rival but isn’t seen as top of the range product like the Sclass hence why you see people driven in s classes, 7series, XJs, A8 and Range Rovers. Even all British tabloids compare the Range Rover with the Sclass for it Ultimate luxury vechicle test.

Secondly, you are comparing a handful of tabloids with thousands of owners from the JD power test and going with the minority. Your tabloids have the car for a year and the owners give their verdict after 3 years. Who would have the better experience and more informed judgment? JD power for me all day.

 

Thirdly this car is built on what is called a electric Skateboard which will be used on the XJ and Road Rover. You really think they will redesign the electric motors and battery just for the XJ? They didn’t use the old platform as it has limitation from the engine etc, where as the new skateboard is based on a clean sheet design and so will take full advantage of the space the electrical architecture saves over the combustion equivalent model. It’s the same thing VW is doing with the E-torn and mission E which again are based on the same platform just with different bodies.

7 March 2018
GODFATHER wrote:

Thirdly this car is built on what is called a electric Skateboard which will be used on the XJ and Road Rover....You really think they will redesign...

I don't think you're getting it. This for example is how Autocar put it back in Jan: "The versatile architecture used for the XJ and its Land Rover sibling will be a new aluminium one...".

Yes, I think they will, I think they've designed a unique, bespoke low volume vehicle in the I-Pace and are then doing it all again for the XJ and sibling. VW, however, are doing it once as you mention. One of those ways is the smart way, the other is the stupid way.

8 March 2018
k12479 wrote:

GODFATHER wrote:

Thirdly this car is built on what is called a electric Skateboard which will be used on the XJ and Road Rover....You really think they will redesign...

I don't think you're getting it. This for example is how Autocar put it back in Jan: "The versatile architecture used for the XJ and its Land Rover sibling will be a new aluminium one...".

Yes, I think they will, I think they've designed a unique, bespoke low volume vehicle in the I-Pace and are then doing it all again for the XJ and sibling. VW, however, are doing it once as you mention. One of those ways is the smart way, the other is the stupid way.

Your really not getting it. JLR will have 3 platforms when the XJ goes out of production. That will be the modular Aluminium used by the XE and so on, the FWD drive platform used by the Evoque and E pace and then the RWD sports car platform. 

This will now be the fourth platform used by JLR and will in the long run replace all the other platforms, albeit in different specifications. As I read from a Ian Cullam article, this skateboard can adapted to be suited to any vechicle from XE to XJ and car to SUV, Same as VWs.plus what do you think the platform will be made from -Aluminium.

Autocar until recently thought this would be a hybrid and only since the I-Pace was launch have been told it a fully electric car. Remember these magazines report rumour until a company official confirms what they are doing. Plus JLR unlike VW are not flush with cash so can’t spend hundreds of million wasting money like VW does with Bugatti. This Is RR coupe is 250k for a reason and that is to get the money put into it back with a profit not sell at a loss like the veyron and VWs phaeton.

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week