Currently reading: Report: soaring SUV sales causing car emissions to rise
UK Energy Research Centre calls for 'immediate action' to slow growth in high-riding vehicles
James Attwood, digital editor
News
2 mins read
9 December 2019

A government-funded energy research body has called for “immediate action” to halt rising sales of SUVs and other large vehicles because of their negative impact on vehicle carbon emissions.

According to the UK Energy Research Centre (UKERC), which is comprised of researchers base in several UK institutions and funded by UK Research and Innovation, the rapid growth in SUV sales in the past decade has led to a rise in total CO2 emissions from the global car fleet, despite the growth in battery-electric vehicles.

SUVs accounted for 21.2% of total vehicles sold in the UK last year, up from 6.6% in 2009 and 13.5% in 2015. In total, 1.8 million SUVs have been sold in the past four years – which the UKERC suggested was likely down to car financing schemes and the freeze in fuel duty.

The UKERC says that SUVs produce around a quarter more CO2 than a medium-size car due to their extra size and weight. It calculated that, assuming vehicles stay on the road for a decade, the 1.8 million SUVs sold in the past four years will produce around 8.2 million tonnes of CO2.

While sales of full electric vehicles are rising, they are outsold 37 to 1 by SUVs. The UKERC also noted that the bulk of plug-in hybrid models sold in recent years have been SUVs, which it says means that “even the relatively small number of electric vehicles that have been sold in the UK are consuming more energy than they need to”.

Professor Jillian Anable, the UKERC’s co-director, said that “the rapid uptake of unnecessarily large and energy consuming vehicles just in the past few years makes a mockery of UK policy efforts towards the ‘Road to Zero’”.

She added: “The decarbonisation of the passenger car market can no longer rely on a distant target to stop the sales of conventional engines. We must start to phase out the most polluting vehicles immediately.

“It is time to enact a strong set of regulations to transform the entire car market towards ultra-low carbon rather than focusing solely on the uptake of electric vehicles.”

The UKERC’s finding are contained in its annual Review of Energy Policy report, in which it makes 10 recommendations on how the UK can achieve net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.

In order to reach that target, the UKERC says that sales of combustion-engined vehicles – including hybrids – should be brought forward until 2030.

READ MORE

Government advisors call for 2030 petrol and diesel ban

UK government plans green number plates for EVs

Focus on EVs could harm environment, say industry leaders

Analysis: how car production will become carbon neutral

Advertisement
Advertisement

Find an Autocar review

Join the debate

Comments
26

9 December 2019

Must be fake news story because car sales are plummeting due to Brexit - just ask Mike Hawes or any of the remainers.

If however the story is correct then you only have government to blame. Last labour government incentified reduced Co2 thru VED and they were successful. This lot... well they got it completely wrong - we seem to have forgot about patching up that hole in the ozone.

PS - hybrids? Well it depends on how you use them. They're complaining about the extra weight of SUV's but what about carrying the extra weight of batteries if you don't use them?

9 December 2019
scotty5 wrote:

Must be fake news story because car sales are plummeting due to Brexit - just ask Mike Hawes or any of the remainers.

If however the story is correct then you only have government to blame. Last labour government incentified reduced Co2 thru VED and they were successful. This lot... well they got it completely wrong - we seem to have forgot about patching up that hole in the ozone.

PS - hybrids? Well it depends on how you use them. They're complaining about the extra weight of SUV's but what about carrying the extra weight of batteries if you don't use them?

You do know that Labour/EU (with their VED) pushed drivers into diesels which may be better for the environment but really bad for Human health, with much higher carbon monoxide from tail pipes. It’s also the same reason why Volkswagen was caught cheating hiding how much CM was being given off which was up to 10x more then they stated. Why do you think kids are dying so young when living so close to the A205/A405 in London.

The only way to solve this is by cracking down on cheap credit for cars meaning people start downsizing to what they can actually afford. Cheap credit means people can stretch to SUV rather then car equivilant. Plus put a 2k surcharge on SUV creating a wider gap between the car and SUV equivilant.

 

9 December 2019
GODFATHER wrote:

scotty5 wrote:

Must be fake news story because car sales are plummeting due to Brexit - just ask Mike Hawes or any of the remainers.

If however the story is correct then you only have government to blame. Last labour government incentified reduced Co2 thru VED and they were successful. This lot... well they got it completely wrong - we seem to have forgot about patching up that hole in the ozone.

PS - hybrids? Well it depends on how you use them. They're complaining about the extra weight of SUV's but what about carrying the extra weight of batteries if you don't use them?

You do know that Labour/EU (with their VED) pushed drivers into diesels which may be better for the environment but really bad for Human health, with much higher carbon monoxide from tail pipes. It’s also the same reason why Volkswagen was caught cheating hiding how much CM was being given off which was up to 10x more then they stated. Why do you think kids are dying so young when living so close to the A205/A405 in London.

The only way to solve this is by cracking down on cheap credit for cars meaning people start downsizing to what they can actually afford. Cheap credit means people can stretch to SUV rather then car equivilant. Plus put a 2k surcharge on SUV creating a wider gap between the car and SUV equivilant.

 

What are you on about ?! Its particulates and oxides of Nitrogen that are the problem with diesel exhausts, NTO carbon monoxide. And both these coudl easily have easily been sorted by mandating DPFs (diesel particulate filters) and SCR (selective catalytic reduction), muhc, much earlier around 2005 instead of 10 years + later. Encouraging diesel use was the right thing to do, it was failing to enforce much stricter emissions regulations for them that was where things went wrong.

9 December 2019

There was an article a week or so ago about how small city cars are dying because it's impossible to maintain their price point while keeping up with emissions regulations. 

Unfortunately the way the current EU emission regs work is that heavier cars are allowed more emissions. This means that small, cheap, efficient cars acutally struggle to meet regulations the most... 

 

Who would have thought the consequences would be that more heavy SUV's would sell, especially since they're more profitable for manufacturers. 

9 December 2019

In the current world, any policy that discriminates in any way against small petrol cars in favour of enormous hybrids is derranged.

9 December 2019
eseaton wrote:

In the current world, any policy that discriminates in any way against small petrol cars in favour of enormous hybrids is derranged.

I agree. If our cities are full of cars, then surely its far better that those vehicles are small, lightweight, efficient ones, not just for emissions, but also to reduce congestion.

9 December 2019

The government's anti-diesel policy coming back to bite it.

These vehicles would be slightly worst than your standard saloon or hatchback, but because users are misinformed on diesel - they are opting for petrol or hybrid petrol SUVs, which have worse fuel economy than diesels.

Hybrid petrols get close to diesels when driven like driving ms daisy, however if driven hard can get cataclysmic economy figures (single digits) - which you can't get a diesel to however hard you try.

Now, if we all bought diesel hybrids we might just see emissions start to fall....

10 December 2019
While I agree with your sentiment, that modern diesels are more economical and emit less than a petrol equivalent SUV, the issue for diesel and town use will still persist, clogged up particulate filters etc. Smaller petrol or hybrid cars for town use is what's needed, diesels for towing and long journeys, high mileage users.

9 December 2019

"Anthropogenic Climate Change" = Total Control of the Human from cradle to grave

9 December 2019
Real_sluggo wrote:

"Anthropogenic Climate Change" = Total Control of the Human from cradle to grave

 

Whats your point caller? 

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review