Vauxhall's new generation of Vivaro van joins Life passenger model in securing the future of the firm's Luton production facility
James Attwood, digital editor
8 January 2019

Vauxhall has revealed its new Vivaro van, joining the Vivaro Life MPV as the two models credited with saving the brand's Luton factory.

Going on sale next month ahead of summer deliveries, the Vivaro and Vivaro Life will be joined by an electric version of both models in 2021.

Both versions will be built alongside each other at Vauxhall’s Luton plant, and share their platforms and much of their underpinnings with the Citroen Dispatch and Peugeot Expert. The decision to keep building the Vivaro, of which over one million have left the factory since 2001, effectively safeguards the future of the plant and workers within it for a decade.

The investment in the new model also sees Luton's production capacity increase to 100,000 units annually. PSA has given Vauxhall/Opel the responsibility of developing commerical vehicles for global use. 

The van and passenger Vivaros will be offered in two lengths (4.95 metres for the Medium model and 5.30 metres for the Large), but both variants have a wheelbase of 3.28 metres. The Life can seat up to nine people, while the van is capable of storing loads up to 4.02m long and offers a payload of up to 1400kg.  

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

The Vivaro Life features a two-piece panoramic roof, an opening tailgate window, movable leather seats and electrically powered sliding doors (which the van version also carries over). Up front is a 7.0in touchscreen infotainment system that features a rear-view camera and Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone mirroring.

The seats are installed on an aluminium rail system for versatility, with four, seven and eight leather seat and five, six, eight and nine cloth seat configurations offered.

Vauxhall says the MPV will have a payload of more than one tonne and a larger tailgate than rivals for easier loading. With its rear seats removed, the Vivaro Life has a luggage capacity of 3397 litres.

A range of driver assistance features is offered, including pedestrian cross alert, adaptive cruise control, lane-keeping assistance and, later this year, the Vauxhall Connect telematics service. 

The electric Vivaro Life, due in 2021, will join an electric version of the Vivaro commercial van. It will represent another step in a massive electrification campaign by Vauxhall's parent firm, the PSA Group, and its programme to revitalise the British brand.

Read more

PSA Group's ambitious revival plan for Vauxhall

Vauxhall to offer electric Vivaro van and Mokka X

PSA Group 'ready for massive EV expansion'

Join the debate

Comments
32

8 January 2019
I'm all for PSA trying to save Vauxhall/Opel, and understand that their hand was forced to some degree by having to pay royalties to GM on the legacy designs (as I understand it). But two vans converted into cars in quick succession with "Life" tagged on the end seems to be scraping the barrel a bit for me.

There's no shortage of design ability in the PSA group, so I only hope this is a stop gap before a more rounded replacement for the Zafira et al is released. Otherwise, I can't say I hold much hope for the revival plan.

9 January 2019
Dave Ryan wrote:

I'm all for PSA trying to save Vauxhall/Opel, and understand that their hand was forced to some degree by having to pay royalties to GM on the legacy designs (as I understand it). But two vans converted into cars in quick succession with "Life" tagged on the end seems to be scraping the barrel a bit for me. There's no shortage of design ability in the PSA group, so I only hope this is a stop gap before a more rounded replacement for the Zafira et al is released. Otherwise, I can't say I hold much hope for the revival plan.

I dont see how its sraping the bottom of the barrel - the previous Vivaro was available with seats, so was Combo.

A34

23 January 2019

Quel supris!

9 January 2019
Vauxhall said, please refer to the Peugeot press release of some months ago. Oh, and we stuck a Vauxhall badge on it. Fin.

9 January 2019

Vauxhall said about the previous Vivar,o to refer to the Renault press release, as that was just a rebadged Renault, did you find that hilarious ? You expect PSA to design an entirely new van just for Vauxhall/Opel ?

9 January 2019

That dash has been lifted straight out of a Expert van

9 January 2019
Wellsi wrote:

That dash has been lifted straight out of a Expert van

The new Vivaro IS an Expert van ! Not just the dash ! The previous one was a Renault Traffic.

23 January 2019
typos1 wrote:

Wellsi wrote:

That dash has been lifted straight out of a Expert van

The new Vivaro IS an Expert van ! Not just the dash ! The previous one was a Renault Traffic.

You don't have to be an Expert to know that, but thank you, anyway

9 January 2019

In fact the entire van is an expert with a Vauxhall bumper and badge.

23 January 2019
Wellsi wrote:

In fact the entire van is an expert with a Vauxhall bumper and badge.

Exactly and the previous Vivaro was a Renault Traffic with a Vauxhall or Opel badge.

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week