Currently reading: Updated: 7400 UK Volkswagen Golfs to get software update
Examples built until July 2020 are offered a fix for infotainment glitches, although “voluntary service measure” isn't mandatory
News
1 min read
13 January 2021

Volkswagen has issued a voluntary update of 56,000 examples of the Mk8 Golf to fix software problems that have plagued the new model. 

Autocar has received confirmation that of the cars affected worldwide, 7,400 UK customers will be notified of the “voluntary service measure”, which is different from a recall as it not mandatory and can be completed during a regular service. It's focused on examples built before July 2020, and fixes software issues affecting the infotainment system and reversing camera.

The launch of this Golf - which is more reliant on technology and digital interfaces than any previous variant - had to be delayed in 2019 while engineers worked to fix software development problems.

Deliveries were then halted in May 2020 due to issues with its emergency call system, which resulted in customer cars being stored for up to a month until a fix was found. Software problems also plagued the rollout of Volkswagen's new ID 3 electric hatchback.

Despite numerous issues and the latest software problems, customer demand for the Golf hasn’t waned. Some 312,000 examples were registered in Europe last year, making it 2020’s best-selling car there, and it was the number-one seller in its home market of Germany.

READ MORE:

Analysis: How Volkswagen is tackling new software challenges

Volkswagen Golf 2021 review

Volkswagen Polo 2022 facelift to get Golf styling inspiration

Advertisement
Advertisement

Find an Autocar review

Read our review

Car review
Volkswagen Golf 2020 road test review - hero front

Europe’s biggest-selling new car, in eighth-generation form, joins the tech revolution

Join the debate

Comments
19
Add a comment…
xxxx 13 January 2021

Slightly better than self combusting kugas or polestar 2s not going anywhere.

Citytiger 13 January 2021
xxxx wrote:

Slightly better than self combusting kugas or polestar 2s not going anywhere.

Would that be the Kuga that has been fixed and owners compensated, or the Polestar 2 that was recalled and fixed aomost immediately and affected less than 5000 cars golbally, and has since gon on to win Numerous awards, include Norwegian car of the year. Perhaps you need to go back into hiding in your mother basement.. 

xxxx 14 January 2021
Citytiger wrote:

xxxx wrote:

Slightly better than self combusting kugas or polestar 2s not going anywhere.

Would that be the Kuga that has been fixed and owners compensated, or the Polestar 2 that was recalled and fixed aomost immediately and affected less than 5000 cars golbally, and has since gon on to win Numerous awards, include Norwegian car of the year. Perhaps you need to go back into hiding in your mother basement.. 

And there you go, pretty sure the total recal of all kugas is not complete and the compensation was tiny compared to the loss of charging and danger over the months. Polestar have add several recalls by the way, including a dangerous loss of power one. Now bin your keyboard Geely fanboy as your defence is getting embarrassing.

Citytiger 14 January 2021
xxxx wrote:

Citytiger wrote:

xxxx wrote:

Slightly better than self combusting kugas or polestar 2s not going anywhere.

Would that be the Kuga that has been fixed and owners compensated, or the Polestar 2 that was recalled and fixed aomost immediately and affected less than 5000 cars golbally, and has since gon on to win Numerous awards, include Norwegian car of the year. Perhaps you need to go back into hiding in your mother basement.. 

And there you go, pretty sure the total recal of all kugas is not complete and the compensation was tiny compared to the loss of charging and danger over the months. Polestar have add several recalls by the way, including a dangerous loss of power one. Now bin your keyboard Geely fanboy as your defence is getting embarrassing.

 

Perhaps you need to get out more, and look at actual facts.. 

Perhaps you missed this, autocar.co.uk/slideshow/revealed-most-recalled-cars-europe-2020#32    the Golf8 is the tip of the iceberg, and the amount of recalls over the VAG portfollio is frankly embarassing, with some being extremly dangerous, including ones that could lead to fires. 

More than 500,000 A4,A5,A6, and Q5s (yes half a million)  all recalled for a starter fault that could lead to a fire, Q7 for a camera fault that could lead to a fire. 

Citytiger 13 January 2021

To be honest, its not as if VW dont have form in releasing products that are not ready, and basically using the customers as guinea pigs.. 

Deputy 13 January 2021

Crikey, an awful lot of late adopters here!  I'll just head back into my Tesla - oh, hang on. I'm doing this on the Tesla screen!!!!!  My dad has a 1954 Morris for sale if you are interested guys....

Find an Autocar car review