Currently reading: Rapid EV take-up could cause blackouts on national grid
Just six EVs on charge in one sensitive local area could cause grid overload and disrupt power supply with today’s grid, Green Alliance thinktank says

Six electric vehicles (EVs) plugged in to charge at one time is enough to cause a local electricity grid overload in some areas, according to an environmental thinktank.

Fears of grid overload as the take-up of plug-in hybrid (PHEV) and fully electric vehicles accelerates have amplified, and Green Alliance now alleges that action must be taken to prepare the national grid before the UK reaches the 'EV tipping point'.

The thinktank advises that decentralisation of energy supply is necessary and that the energy supply needs to be controlled to cope with an evening spike in demand – when most drivers will arrive home from work and plug in their cars.

Electric and other alternatively fuelled vehicles (AFVs) is the fastest-growing segment of the UK car industry; last month’s SMMT market analysis revealed that it grew by 31% compared with March 2016, and that such cars now make up 4.1% of the total market.

These are, of course, eclipsed by the 52.5% petrol and 43.4% diesel market shares, but the growth is predicted to only accelerate as consumers turn towards the benefits and financial advantages of AFVs, while diesel drivers face ever-stiffer charges for their cars’ emissions.

Green Alliance said that the public could contribute back into the grid from solar panels; according to the Green Alliance only 20% of local grids can accept this energy, but would quell the supply problem if the remaining 80% was able to take energy.

EV batteries used as energy storage may also quell the problem, says the Green Alliance, and “could store enough power to keep the UK’s lights on for 7 hours at a time by 2025”, given the right government intervention, the thinktank said. The storage would help to even out the peaks and troughs of demand, and could be recharged at off-peak times. 

Green Alliance’s acting policy director, Dustin Benton, said: “Small-scale energy is growing rapidly because consumers are choosing it, regardless of government subsidy. With the right policy, EVs and solar could help keep the lights on and cut consumer bills. Political parties need to outline how the large-scale energy the UK needs and the small scale energy people want can work better together.”

James O'Neill, UK director for Ensto EV solutions, explained that the need to upgrade to smart chargers was paramount to solving the problem, and storing the energy required to charge a car at off-peak times for usage when required would alleviate the potentially strained grid points.


Read our review

Car review

The most affordable Tesla yet is tempting on the face of it, so should you yield or resist?

Back to top

"As people increase EV sales they want to charge, if they can’t charge they won’t buy an EV. We need to think about smart charging now, and hope the push to truly smart charging happens quickly." O'Neill also explained the need, given the credibility of the overload threat, for home energy storage solutions and smart home energy solutions to create micro-grids within the local grids, to better manage the energy supply and volatile demand fluctuations, as opposed to increasing it.

Read more: 

How to buy a used EV

UK car market hits record high in March

MG E-Motion EV sports car for production in 2020

Pininfarina and Hybrid Kinetic Group reveal two EV SUVs

National grid will need upgrading to cope with EV demand, finds trial

Join the debate

Add a comment…
RobChalmers 21 April 2017

Speak to the National Grid

Please , have a chat with them, the Load on on the grid is falling on an almost daily basis as personal/domestic solar and wind take up the load. March 25th was a historic day, a saturday afternoon is a peak demand time, everyones home, washer's on, TV's on Phone charging etc.... but the load on the NG was LOWER that during the previous night's off-peak period.
We are now at the point that we are voluntarily not running coal power stations for days on end because there just isn't the grid demand.
I love Autocar, but please consult the powers that be (pun kind of intended)
The Apprentice 20 April 2017

Haha.. solar panels will

Haha.. solar panels will really help in the evening when most EV's are on charge... A domestic supply isn't anywhere close to being able to provide a rapid charger so as mentioned above the slow charge load will be similar to normal domestic appliances.
SmokingCoal 20 April 2017

Scrap the subsidies!

Judging by the comments, it looks like there are some seriously triggered EV owners. I'll stick with my fifteen-year-old diesel. Taxpayers should not be subsidising EVs and the autonomous vehicle industries.