Currently reading: Mercedes to follow EQC with nine EVs in next four years
Firm has kicked off electric brand with SUV - but says saloons will be vital part of future plans
Rachel Burgess
News
2 mins read
4 September 2018

Mercedes has begun its electric vehicle assault with the EQC, which will be closely followed by nine more zero-emissions cars in the next four years.

Between now and 2022, the car maker will launch the EQC SUV, the EQA hatchback (already seen in concept form), the EQB small SUV and an EQS flagship saloon.

Three Smart electric vehicles – Fortwo, Fortwo Cabriolet and Forfour – will bring the count to seven.

All-electric Mercedes-Benz EQC revealed

An electric V-Class, a passenger version of the Vito van, already confirmed to go electric, will also arrive by 2022.

The final two cars are not yet certain. Most likely is an EQA-based saloon, vital for the burgeoning electric market in China.

Mercedes R&D boss Ola Kallenius said: “The EQ family will have several saloons in its portfolio, but the EQC was the right place to start strategically. It’s right at the heart of premium SUV volume.” Electric configurations are also easier to package into high-riding vehicles such as SUVs, because of the battery placement along the floor.

Mercedes CEO Dieter Zetsche added: “With those 10 vehicles, we cover 60% of our relevant segments.” He said that any future vehicles could address the remaining 40%, depending on demand.

More broadly, Zetsche said that in the future, as electric car sales ramp up, it might be that Mercedes drops the EQ brand and instead there would just be EQ versions of its other key lines: Mercedes-AMG, Mercedes-Maybach and standard Mercedes cars.

Zetsche added that an electric AMG performance car was inevitable, but first we would see more hybrid AMGs.

“At some point in time there will be an electric AMG,” he said, hinting that it would be launched in the next five years.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

  • Mini JCW GP 2020 UK first drive review - hero front
    6 July 2020
    First Drive
    The fastest production Mini yet has 302bhp, a 0-62mph time of just 5.2sec and...
  • Ford Kuga 2020 road test review - hero front
    3 July 2020
    Car review
    SUV practicality, Focus underpinnings, plug-in hybrid tech: is this another...
  • Alpina B3 2020 first drive review - hero front
    3 July 2020
    First Drive
    Bavaria's alternative M3 gets an added injection of performance and...

Read our review

Car review
Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric Drive
Mercedes-Benz has based its all-electric vehicle on the existing B-class

Exceptionally refined with punchy overtaking abilities and impressive ride and handling. Premium driving experience at expense of ultimate usability

Back to top

Alongside the 10 electric vehicles being launched by 2022, Mercedes has also confirmed 50 electrified vehicles in that timeframe, including mild hybrids and plug-in hybrids. It has invested 10 billion euros into the programme.

Read more

Mercedes EQA electric hatchback previewed ahead of Frankfurt

738bhp Mercedes EQ Silver Arrow electric concept revealed

Mercedes EQ concept - first ride

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

  • Mini JCW GP 2020 UK first drive review - hero front
    6 July 2020
    First Drive
    The fastest production Mini yet has 302bhp, a 0-62mph time of just 5.2sec and...
  • Ford Kuga 2020 road test review - hero front
    3 July 2020
    Car review
    SUV practicality, Focus underpinnings, plug-in hybrid tech: is this another...
  • Alpina B3 2020 first drive review - hero front
    3 July 2020
    First Drive
    Bavaria's alternative M3 gets an added injection of performance and...