JLR's UK Managing Director says settling Brexit in any way should have financial advantages for the firm

Settling Brexit could be positive for UK sales for Jaguar and Land Rover in Britain, according to Rawdon Glover, the firm’s UK managing director.

Despite a difficult sales year for the brands, both have shown upswings - driven in part by new model launches - in the UK despite economic uncertainty prompted by the ongoing Brexit negotiations.

That prompted Glover to say: “There is so much uncertainty and all the indicators suggest consumer confidence is down, so there is reasonable cause to look to those concerns as a reason for depressing the car market.

“So, thinking positively, you could say that any resolution to the Brexit impasse could help us emerge into a more favourable mindset, possibly even with pricing advantages for anyone building their cars in Britain.

“It’s a one-sided view, but my job is to sell Jaguars and Land Rovers in the UK, and I can look therefore at potential upsides to us emerging from Brexit, hopefully with a clear vision for the future that gives people confidence.”

Jaguar Land Rover’s overall CEO, Ralf Speth, has repeatedly warned of the damage a No-Deal Brexit could cause if cars made in the UK but exported to Europe carry a tariff, or if parts required to build cars in the UK are required to undergo border checks. He has estimated the potential cost to the firm to be up to £60m per day.

READ MORE

Jaguar Land Rover boss: hard Brexit will cost jobs

Will Brexit kill the British car industry?

Autocar's guide to what will happen in 2019

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

Join the debate

Comments
33

28 June 2019

So now Brexit is a good thing and will boost sales according to the UK boss at JLR but then Ralf Speth makes some silly comment about a no deal Brexit costing them up to £60M a day - you couldn’t make it up!

28 June 2019

Mr Glover manages sales and sales in the UK are down. Mr Glover says that an important factor is lack of consumer confidence caused by uncertainty. Brexit provides the biggest uncertainty for decades. Once the uncertainty is removed, ONE WAY OR THE OTHER, then sales could improve.

Mr Speth runs the whole show, including factories reliant on just-in-time delivery. No deal Brexit will certainly damage that system.

As a service manager, I have sat in many meetings with an MD, a sales director and a product director. The last two seldom agree on anything, and the MD has to look at the whole picture.

Any car CEO in the UK who is not speaking up against Brexit is refraining for doing so because he thinks it's a waste of breath.

Happy motoring

28 June 2019
CharlieBrown wrote:

So now Brexit is a good thing and will boost sales according to the UK boss at JLR but then Ralf Speth makes some silly comment about a no deal Brexit costing them up to £60M a day - you couldn’t make it up!

Wow, an article that short and it still manages to confuse you. Its not hard to understand why those comments are as they are. Look at the roles each individual has in the organisation....and then think about where else the cars are sold...and then apply a little thought to why it isn't a universally bad thing

28 June 2019

 

Paul73 wrote:

CharlieBrown wrote:

So now Brexit is a good thing and will boost sales according to the UK boss at JLR but then Ralf Speth makes some silly comment about a no deal Brexit costing them up to £60M a day - you couldn’t make it up!

Wow, an article that short and it still manages to confuse you. Its not hard to understand why those comments are as they are. Look at the roles each individual has in the organisation....and then think about where else the cars are sold...and then apply a little thought to why it isn't a universally bad thing

Wow, an article that short and you couldn’t see the ridiculous Speth proclamation of losing £60M per day, which is their total sales turnover, unbelievable!

 

28 June 2019
CharlieBrown wrote:

So now Brexit is a good thing and will boost sales according to the UK boss at JLR but then Ralf Speth makes some silly comment about a no deal Brexit costing them up to £60M a day - you couldn’t make it up!

All the current economic damage attributed to Brexit is not directly caused by Brexit - we haven't left. Prolonged uncertainty has done the damage we've currently seen.

Pain is always worst when prolonged. We needed to chop off the limb in one, not pommel it with a blunt blade for several years taking longer than anyone expected.

Mr Speth is quite correct in that, if JLR sourced all their components as they currently do - the costs would be massive. They will obviously have to change what they can to a different trade partner outside europe - should the EU decide to cut their nose off to spite their face and not give the UK a trade deal.

People seem to forget, Brexit is also incredibly bad for the automotive sector in the EU - both suppliers and OEMs. Sure, the actual costs aren't as large in the grand scheme of things for the EU - but both France and Germany will be hurt worst, to of the main EU pillars. Would not be allowed to continue for long.

Brexit is a quantum shift in the supplier base, how companies can adapt to that will sort the men from the boys.

28 June 2019

More proof that Brexit is hurting Britain.   Why won't the Brexiters listen?

 

How do you think a no-deal Brexit will affect Britain when exports to the EU, our biggest market, become costlier?   Would you pay more or use your right to choose another brand if you were the EU customer?

 

And before someone chips in with global trade deals, we already enjoy them via the EU and that is what you're giving up.

 

28 June 2019
Symanski wrote:

How do you think a no-deal Brexit will affect Britain when exports to the EU, our biggest market, become costlier?  

Says who?  What part of being able to negotiate our own trade deals don't you understand?

And you say that without any reference whatsoever to the vast amounts of money we pay to the EU to be part of their club.

One of these days somebody might explain to me how the rest of the world manages to trade with each other outside the EU. I'm not holding my breath tho because they haven't even attempted to explain that phenomenon for the past 2.5 years. 

28 June 2019
scotty5 wrote:

And you say that without any reference whatsoever to the vast amounts of money we pay to the EU to be part of their club.

 

Tiny membership fee that is well worthwhile for the active participation in EU science and research projects.   Well worth it for the harmonisation of standards and laws that keep our and our buiness costs down.

 

Those trade deals you mention.   You're going from a vast collection of deals to none, and those deals take years or decaded to agree.   And you won't get the frictionless trade with the EU that you currently enjoy.   You'd be mad to give that up!

 

As someone who regularly buys from outside the EU for business I can assure you it's not as easy as buying within the EU.   In the EU it's just like buying from antoher part of the UK.   Outside and I'm stuck with paying duties, VAT, and a charge by the carrier to handle those charges.   It adds up, and delays the good's entry.   Plus, and it happens a lot, you then have to deal with incorrect charges being made by the carrier.   Much more work.

 

Which is why SMEs in particular will be badly harmed by Brexit when our EU customers decide it's not worth the extra cost or hassle in buying from the UK.   Who will you blame for that?

 

28 June 2019
Symanski wrote:

scotty5 wrote:

And you say that without any reference whatsoever to the vast amounts of money we pay to the EU to be part of their club.

 

Tiny membership fee that is well worthwhile for the active participation in EU science and research projects.   Well worth it for the harmonisation of standards and laws that keep our and our buiness costs down.

 

 

£350m a week is tiny is it? I know, lets get the remoanersw to pay it then, Seems fair to me.

29 June 2019
Luap wrote:

 

£350m a week is tiny is it? I know, lets get the remoanersw to pay it then, Seems fair to me.

 

No, we don't pay that as we firstly have a rebait and secondly much of it comes back in subsidies for farmers.

 

Sorry you were duped by that figure.

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week