Currently reading: £1.64m Lamborghini Centenario already sold out
Limited-run supercar to celebrate the 100th birthday of company founder, Ferruccio Lamborghini, costs £1.64m but all 40 examples are already sold

The limited-edition Lamborghini Centenario to be built to honour the 100th birthday of Ferruccio Lamborghini has already sold out, two months ahead of its official reveal at the Geneva motor show in March.

The car, based upon the Lamborghini Aventador, the car has an all-carbonfibre tub and more power from its V12 engine. It carries a price tag of 2.2m euros (about £1.64m). A total of 40 will be built - 20 coupés and 20 convertibles - and all of them are already sold to avid marque enthusiasts.

2016 Geneva Motorshow update: Lamborghini pull the covers off the 759bhp V12-powered Centenario

Lamborghini's founder was born on 28 April 1916 and Stephan Winkelmann, the current president and chief executive, has promised to “do something special and show it in Geneva".

He explained that the vehicle would be, “a mix of technology demonstrator and street-legal car, which is important for the people who will buy it.”

Although Lamborghini’s top brass are tight-lipped about precise technical details, the model is understood to be fitted with a significantly uprated 759bhp version of the 690bhp 6.5-litre V12 found in the Lamborghini Aventador. It will have extreme styling to match its mighty power output.

Autocar also understands the name ‘Centenario LP770-4’ could be used, but Winkelmann has previously confirmed to Autocar that a model name had been decided upon, and will be revealed in due course.

The model is in the mould of previous special editions such as the Sesto Elemento, Aventador J and Reventon.

It is expected to be the most technologically advanced Lamborghini yet, bringing together the company’s latest developments in terms of engine technology, light weighting, aerodynamics and chassis control.

Winkelmann said: “These are the elements that are very much related to the super sports cars and then there are two others that are very important for the automotive business in general, and they are sustainability and connectivity.

“For us, connectivity is going to become more and more important, particularly on the Urus because it will be a car owners could use every day, so they want to have in the car what they have in the office or on their smartphones."

Lamborghin’s R&D boss Maurizio Reggiani added: “This will be the first time we have put so much content into one special car”.

The Italian company will use the car to both celebrate its past and point towards some future technology that will be used on its other production models.

“On one hand it is for collectors and lovers of the brand, it is also a celebration in this sense, but on the other hand it is also for Maurizio Reggiani and his team to demonstrate what they able to do with technical innovations,” said Winkelmann.

Back to top

He added that the car would be a “good combination of ambition and knowledge”, showing off Lamborghini’s skills: “When you are a two-model company, you show something that is radically new for production every four or five years, that’s it.

“Our designers and engineers still have the lust to show what they can do and we are not able to have four or five production models. [So cars like this] are an opportunity to show that constant innovation is taking place within Lamborghini.”

This year also marks 50 years of the Lamborghini Miura, which was first produced in 1966. The company produced a special concept to mark the iconic car's 40th anniversary in 2006.

Get the latest car news, reviews and galleries from Autocar direct to your inbox every week. Enter your email address below:

Join the debate

Add a comment…
5wheels 18 January 2016

Read it today

that the 1% of the worlds richest add up financially to be MORE than the other 99% of us poor suckers no matter how hard we try. So selling 40 of these at a price which would buy 4 to 6 decent homes seems a pointless waste of Autocar paper !!!
lambo1 17 January 2016

ah I see the goatherders have

ah I see the goatherders have already put their hands in their pockets- youve got to laugh
Him 3 December 2015


"...bringing together the company’s latest developments in terms of engine technology, light weighting, aerodynamics and chassis control". Light weighting? I light weighted my car... she light weighted her car... they light weighted their cars... nope, definitely not a verb.