Currently reading: Volkswagen Group's profits climb during 2012
Operating profit rises to £9.95 billion, vehicle deliveries increase to 9.3 million
Lewis Kingston
News
1 min read
22 February 2013

The Volkswagen Group has released its financial data for 2012, revealing an increase in profit from £9.78 billion to £9.95 billion.

Total sales revenue for 2012 totalled £166.8 billion, 21 per cent up on 2011's £137.9 billion.

Professor Dr Martin Winterkorn, chairman of the board of management of the Volkswagen Group, said: “The economic environment for our business became noticeably more difficult as the year progressed. Nevertheless, we succeeded in meeting the targets we set ourselves for 2012."

The Group delivered a total of 9.3 million vehicles during last year, representing a 12.2 per cent increase on the previous year's nine million. 

It is not only profit and vehicle deliveries that have climbed. The number of employees rose from 501,956, in 2011, to 549,763 in 2012.

With the recent acquisition of Porsche, and a myriad of new models due in 2013, it's likely that the Volkswagen Group's growth will continue.

Winterkorn was quietly confident about 2013: “We, too, are not completely immune to the intense competition and the far-reaching crisis in key European markets."

"Nevertheless, we see good opportunities for the Volkswagen Group to once again outperform competitors this year thanks to our sound financial strength and earning power.”

The Volkswagen Group expects its 2013 sales revenue to exceed the 2012 figures, thanks to a wider and more attractive model range. 

Given the ongoing economic uncertainty and increasing competition, however, it is aiming for its 2013 profit to match 2012's.

The group currently consists of 12 brands, including Volkswagen, Audi, Seat, Skoda, Bugatti, Lamborghini, and Porsche.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Find an Autocar review

Join the debate

Comments
9
Add a comment…
pauld101 25 February 2013

Broken down

I see more broken down VW by the side of the M6, as I travel it each working day, than any other make.  Once people realise that VW have a very 'inventive' publicity machine that is able to make use of 'exceptionals' to massage their profit figures, I fear that we may see VW's profit figures are as empty as their claim to vehicle reliabilty and value.  And then the fall.  But first, we must allow them their pride.

dannynic 24 February 2013

I think this must be proof

I think this must be proof that VW do a very good job of selling cheap cars at an expensive price to people who belive they are worth it! 60k for a diesel van what a bargain!

opelvaux 23 February 2013

VW problem

the thing is they also make some of the most dull boring cars! plus look at SEAT they have struggled to do much with the brand.

fadyady 23 February 2013

The stupendous range

opelvaux wrote:

the thing is they also make some of the most dull boring cars! plus look at SEAT they have struggled to do much with the brand.

No other car maker offers such a wide range of cars as the VW Group right down from Seat and Skoda to Audi and Porsche, Bentely, Lamborghini and Bugatti.

Toyota, GM, Renault/Nissan, Kia/Hyundai, Ford, Honda, etc, I can't think of any other car maker that gives you the blandest of the cars but the most exciting too.

Audi_A5 23 February 2013

fadyady, can we do a deal?

fadyady wrote:

 

No other car maker offers such a wide range of cars as the VW Group right down from Seat and Skoda to Audi and Porsche, Bentely, Lamborghini and Bugatti.

Toyota, GM, Renault/Nissan, Kia/Hyundai, Ford, Honda, etc, I can't think of any other car maker that gives you the blandest of the cars but the most exciting too.

If I grant you your point about VW having the widest range of cars, will you also grant mine?

Namely, that precious few of this class-leading range are in contention for best in any of their respective classes, and that includes the vastly overrated VW Golf!  Wink

fadyady 23 February 2013

Its a deal

Audi_A5 wrote:

If I grant you your point about VW having the widest range of cars, will you also grant mine?

Namely, that precious few of this class-leading range are in contention for best in any of their respective classes, and that includes the vastly overrated VW Golf!  Wink

By the way just for the record I never said VW makes the best cars.

Find an Autocar car review