Dual clutch auto arrives alongside new LED lighting that features a Union Flag design at the rear

Mini has revamped its hatchback, five-door and convertible models for 2018 by giving the trio of B-segment cars extra standard-fit technology, enhanced customisation options and, a first for the siblings, a new dual-clutch gearbox.

Due in UK showrooms from 17 March, Mini’s core models now come as standard with front and rear LED lights and optional matrix LED high beams. The LED tail-lights feature a Union flag design that takes influence from the units featured on the Mini Electric concept of 2017.

Inside, there is a new three-spoke steering wheel with multifunction buttons and an updated 6.5in standard-fit infotainment system, which is now offered with a Navigation Plus Pack and wireless phone charging. The infotainment can be upgraded with an optional touchscreen, sat-nav and Apple CarPlay functionality. A Mini Connected option enables closer smartphone integration for reminders to include calendar entries and recommended departure times.

Our Verdict

Peugeot 5008

MPV turns SUV. Does the new Peugeot 5008 offer the best of both worlds or flawed compromises?

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

Using the new Mini Yours Customised service, buyers can create bespoke designs for 3D printed trim, illuminated door sills and LED projectors. Additionally, the passenger side of the dashboard can also be fitted with a backlit Union flag pattern that matches the ambient lighting. Mini has also added three new colours, Emerald Grey, Starlight Blue and Solaris Orange, to the car’s exterior paint palette.

Mini buyers can now specify a new DCT dualclutch automatic gearbox. The seven-speed Steptronic system comes with an electric gear selector, with Cooper S automatics getting steeringwheel-mounted shift paddles as well. Mini claims faster gearshifts than the outgoing six-speed automatic, as well as modestly improved fuel efficiency, thanks in part to the additional ratio.

The engine range retains five turbocharged options, three petrols and two diesels. At the base is a 1.5-litre three-cylinder petrol that produces 101bhp in the Mini One and the most efficient is a diesel of the same capacity that enables a claimed 74.3mpg in the Cooper D auto. The line-up culminates in the 2.0-litre petrol engine of the Mini John Cooper Works, which has 228bhp.

When the new Mini models arrive in showrooms, a small increase over the outgoing car’s £14,640 starting price is expected. The models will also be the first to wear a new, simpler Mini logo, which is set to be rolled out across the company's full line-up through the year.

More content:

Join the debate

Comments
17

10 January 2018

How many Union Jacks can you squeeze into one car? Those rear lights look very contrived...

10 January 2018

This is terrible.  MINI had already become some sad parody of what BMW thinks it is, but this is just an embarrassment.  Please, can JLR buy it off BMW as I think they will get it more (I know, I am speaking relatively).

The car-buying public gets what it deserves, unfortunately ...

10 January 2018
Bishop wrote:

This is terrible.  MINI had already become some sad parody of what BMW thinks it is, but this is just an embarrassment.  Please, can JLR buy it off BMW as I think they will get it more (I know, I am speaking relatively).

Really?  JLR are all about bling these days so I'm not sure their interpretation would be any less subtle...  The rear lights are a bit over the top for me, but not surprising as they've appeared on a couple of concepts in recent years. And are they really any worse than some of the over complicated offerings from other manufacturers at present? The Up, for example has acquired various unrelated rectangles at the rear, and the front lighting arrangements on some Transporters are all over the place. I like the new orange body colour though.

10 January 2018

Yeah, youre right - the new Minis are horrid, but if JLR took over they would be even worse.

XXXX just went POP.

10 January 2018
catnip wrote:

Bishop wrote:

This is terrible.  MINI had already become some sad parody of what BMW thinks it is, but this is just an embarrassment.  Please, can JLR buy it off BMW as I think they will get it more (I know, I am speaking relatively).

Really?  JLR are all about bling these days so I'm not sure their interpretation would be any less subtle...  The rear lights are a bit over the top for me, but not surprising as they've appeared on a couple of concepts in recent years. And are they really any worse than some of the over complicated offerings from other manufacturers at present? The Up, for example has acquired various unrelated rectangles at the rear, and the front lighting arrangements on some Transporters are all over the place. I like the new orange body colour though.

There's a difference - I don't see VW pasting the German flag, or Prussian Eagles on the Up, or even Ford putting the stars and stripes on the rear lamps of the Mustang.  Furthermore, all that 'Alec' crap on the side repreater surround .... Issigonis would absolutely hate this MINI, as would Alex Moulton for that matter. I can't believe Gerry McGovern or Ian Callum would be this crass! 

The car-buying public gets what it deserves, unfortunately ...

10 January 2018

Still 4 star NCAP. Think I'd have invested some money improving that over Union flag tat everywhere.

10 January 2018

One of the reasons that we bought a Mini was that it still used a torque converter gearbox.

Given the many apparent issues with DCT gearboxes (some worse than others) these still don't seem to be preferable to me, particularly if you intend to own the car beyond the warranty period.

Views?

David W

10 January 2018

Any auto is horrid, DCT, CVT and especially torque converter autos, buy an electric car, theyre the only autos that are ok.

XXXX just went POP.

10 January 2018

Any auto is horrid......

And that is where we disagree.  

David W

10 January 2018
typos1 wrote:

Any auto is horrid, DCT, CVT and especially torque converter autos, buy an electric car, theyre the only autos that are ok.

Really? I’ve only ever owned manual cars, my current is my first auto chosen because I’m fed up in the snarled up traffic we have these days of using the clutch/gear box, I do a lot of motorway driving, and the chance these days to properly enjoy a manual is long gone. I’m actually really pleased with it, and shock horror it’s also a dual clutch auto 

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week