Chinese brand Nio unveils third production model after the seven-seat ES8; has ambitions to come to Europe
17 December 2018

Chinese newcomer Nio has released details of its third production model: the electric, Audi Q5-rivalling ES6.

Order books in the firm's home market have opened immediately for the four-wheel-drive SUV, with prices starting at the equivalent of £41,075. 

The five-seat ES6 uses the same platform as the larger, seven-seat ES8, which went on sale in July 2018. That means it has an electric motor on each axle powered by a liquid-cooled lithium ion battery pack.

There are two versions of the ES6: Performance and Standard. Both are available with Nio's existing 70kWh battery pack or a new 84kWh pack.

The Performance model features a 322bhp motor at the front and 215bhp motor at the rear, giving it a total of 544bhp, plus 535lb ft of torque. Resultant performance is a 0-62mph time of 4.7sec and a top speed of 125mph.

Range is 319 miles on the old NEDC cycle with the 84kWh pack.

Our Verdict

BMW X2 M35i 2019 road test review - hero front

BMW’s first four-cylinder M Performance model takes the fight to the Audi SQ2 over class honours in the premium compact crossover market.

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

The Standard version has two 215bhp motors, resulting in a 0-62mph time of 5.6sec. Its NEDC range is 256 miles with the 70kWh pack or 300 miles with the 84kWh pack.

Nio will launch its fourth model, a saloon called the ET7, in 2019. 

Speaking at the unveiling of the ES6, Nio founder William Li said: “We think the future of motoring is beyond the products and technology: it’s about how people use the products and the ownership experience. We want to redefine what premium service means for a car company.”

Nio was founded in 2014. It currently only sells cars in China but is planning to extend sales to Europe and the US in a few years time. Li, whose background is in digital marketing, is known as China’s Elon Musk. Nio became listed on the New York Stock Exchange in September 2018 and is currently valued at £6.1 billion.

James Foxall

Read more:

Nio ES8 2018 review

Nio EP9 electric supercar demonstrated at Goodwood

How Chinese car makers can succeed in Europe

Join the debate

Comments
15

289

17 December 2018

.....a rival to the Audi Q5.....just because they have priced it at a premium price?

Membership of the premium club has to be earnt, and it takes years (Audi will attest to that having been nowhere in the 70's), and the Chinese have no concept of quality control much less Premium!

With a stupid name like 'NIO' its even worse than the 'Borgward'....personally I wouldnt value any Chinese built car in 5 figures.

Its time Europe started putting China in its place....oh wait Huawei?

17 December 2018
289 wrote:

.....a rival to the Audi Q5.....just because they have priced it at a premium price?

Membership of the premium club has to be earnt, and it takes years (Audi will attest to that having been nowhere in the 70's), and the Chinese have no concept of quality control much less Premium!

With a stupid name like 'NIO' its even worse than the 'Borgward'....personally I wouldnt value any Chinese built car in 5 figures.

Its time Europe started putting China in its place....oh wait Huawei?

What a racist comment. And whats premium about Audis apart from the price and the plastics ? The answer is nothing, their cars are over priced "piles of dog poo" for snobs who dont like driving.

Your suggest that "the Chinese have no concept of quality control much less Premium!" is also complete rubbish - I ve bought many Chinese premium products that offer amazing build quality for far less than Western premium products. Fact is that any country that manufactures is capable of making both premium and low end products and you have zero expereince of this car to be able to comment on the quality.

Pretty much ANY electronic product you buy is made in China or from Chinese components, even ones that you think are "premium" (the iphone is made in China), half your house is full of Chinese products, even if they have a Western brand name on the front.

Borgward was the surname of the German guy who set the company up in the 1930s, so again more racism from you, Jesus the guy couldnt help his name FFS. Unless you can back up your comments with facts, I suggest you keep your unfounded and racist comments to yourself.                                                            

17 December 2018
typos1 wrote:

289 wrote:

.....a rival to the Audi Q5.....just because they have priced it at a premium price?

Membership of the premium club has to be earnt, and it takes years (Audi will attest to that having been nowhere in the 70's), and the Chinese have no concept of quality control much less Premium!

With a stupid name like 'NIO' its even worse than the 'Borgward'....personally I wouldnt value any Chinese built car in 5 figures.

Its time Europe started putting China in its place....oh wait Huawei?

What a racist comment. And whats premium about Audis apart from the price and the plastics ? The answer is nothing, their cars are over priced "piles of dog poo" for snobs who dont like driving.

Your suggest that "the Chinese have no concept of quality control much less Premium!" is also complete rubbish - I ve bought many Chinese premium products that offer amazing build quality for far less than Western premium products. Fact is that any country that manufactures is capable of making both premium and low end products and you have zero expereince of this car to be able to comment on the quality.

Pretty much ANY electronic product you buy is made in China or from Chinese components, even ones that you think are "premium" (the iphone is made in China), half your house is full of Chinese products, even if they have a Western brand name on the front.

Borgward was the surname of the German guy who set the company up in the 1930s, so again more racism from you, Jesus the guy couldnt help his name FFS. Unless you can back up your comments with facts, I suggest you keep your unfounded and racist comments to yourself.                                                            

He actually makes a vaild point regarding being successfully premium needing to be earnt. It has taken Lexus quite a while and infinity is still floundering in europe, DS is meant to be premium but is so far unsuccessful in that regard. So I get what is meant by the lack of premium, comments. 

I think some of the other stuff was tongue in cheek hence the huawei comment.

Of course regarding this, it appears as premium as anything else going by the pics and the comments on the 7seater appear to back this up so it could be a success at being premium. Whether the european badge snobs would .uy one over the standard german fare is another thing altogether.

Personally I don't care who makes my car as long as I like it.

17 December 2018
si73 wrote:

typos1 wrote:

289 wrote:

.....a rival to the Audi Q5.....just because they have priced it at a premium price?

Membership of the premium club has to be earnt, and it takes years (Audi will attest to that having been nowhere in the 70's), and the Chinese have no concept of quality control much less Premium!

With a stupid name like 'NIO' its even worse than the 'Borgward'....personally I wouldnt value any Chinese built car in 5 figures.

Its time Europe started putting China in its place....oh wait Huawei?

What a racist comment. And whats premium about Audis apart from the price and the plastics ? The answer is nothing, their cars are over priced "piles of dog poo" for snobs who dont like driving.

Your suggest that "the Chinese have no concept of quality control much less Premium!" is also complete rubbish - I ve bought many Chinese premium products that offer amazing build quality for far less than Western premium products. Fact is that any country that manufactures is capable of making both premium and low end products and you have zero expereince of this car to be able to comment on the quality.

Pretty much ANY electronic product you buy is made in China or from Chinese components, even ones that you think are "premium" (the iphone is made in China), half your house is full of Chinese products, even if they have a Western brand name on the front.

Borgward was the surname of the German guy who set the company up in the 1930s, so again more racism from you, Jesus the guy couldnt help his name FFS. Unless you can back up your comments with facts, I suggest you keep your unfounded and racist comments to yourself.                                                            

He actually makes a vaild point regarding being successfully premium needing to be earnt. It has taken Lexus quite a while and infinity is still floundering in europe, DS is meant to be premium but is so far unsuccessful in that regard. So I get what is meant by the lack of premium, comments. 

I think some of the other stuff was tongue in cheek hence the huawei comment.

Of course regarding this, it appears as premium as anything else going by the pics and the comments on the 7seater appear to back this up so it could be a success at being premium. Whether the european badge snobs would .uy one over the standard german fare is another thing altogether.

Personally I don't care who makes my car as long as I like it.

.   So,premium, is Tesla premium ?, is Koenigsigg?, Rimca?, earning it like getting your Badges at the Scouts?, don’t be redicuous!, this might be a great product, why shouldn’t it succeed?, your coming over as a Kid with a wooden spoon and Mums Jam Cooking Pot.....all noise!

17 December 2018

Sorry, I dont follow your meaning, What I was trying to say was that 289 has a point that pricing something as premium doesnt make it premium and I was using the fact that DS and infinity get criticised for not being of premium quality but charge premium. So it isn't easy. I never said this wasn't premium and actually defended its quality based on the test of the 7 seat version. So what exactly are you ranting at me about? And how have I offended you to warrant insults?

289

18 December 2018

No, I dont believe Tesla is premium Peter. Its hard to imagine any American product reaching that level. Its just a battery powered milk float with flashy underwear.

Koenigsegg isnt premium....its a Jonny come lately supercar like all its peers. But that doesnt seem to matter in the world of the obscenely rich and tasteless, as long as it has a ridiculous top speed, outlandish looks and plenty of magpie like trinkets scattered around the cabin they will queue up to buy it (Spyker/Pagani incl) price makes these vehicles what they are because they are toys for the superich, they have aspirations far above 'premium' ....Rimac!....I have no idea what that is? Some sort of product from Ann Summers?!

289

17 December 2018

Not racist....just fact.

Have you ever toured engineering companies (particularly Automotive) tier 1/2 suppliers ?

No?

Thought not. so dont judge unless you have been there at the hub of it all.

I dont need to see/drive one to judge its quality....I know how Chinese manufacturing works...thanks Typo's

And yes, of course I do know that most electrical goods I buy today are made in China - whatever the household name. And christ dont I know it.....reliability gone to pot, often completely fails within the first month of use....sure they replace it free of charge, but this is the Chinese way (no problem we change it). This is not what I expect when purchasing from a (in theory) good name. I dont need the hassle.

By the way I wouldnt be seen dead with an iphone! (or a Huawei!). I would gladly go back to the good old days of early Nokia's - good at being phones with no gimmicks.

I dont need a history lesson from you re Borgward ( you probably werent born when they were in production).

Si73 makes a fair comment about 'badge snobs'. This is a sad fact of our lives today....the buying public are very brand sensitive, thats why the volume players in the car industry are suffering.....why would domeone drive a volume badge when he can have a percieved 'designer badge' - The Germans and JLR essentially!

Lexus still havent cracked it in Europe (despite building very reliable cars) after all these years.....Infinniti has absolute Zero chance! Why they didnt come in as a cut price volume player....they simply tried to buy their way in by pricing their product at the same price as the  established brands....and it cant be done, )in America the suceeded partly due to agressive pricing).

 The buying public vote with their feet, and they (like me) dont care a damn if you dont like German product.

Even GM have given up trying to peddle their Cadillac crap in Europe after many attempts.

We in the west would do well to be more careful than to trust the Chinese with all manner of  important goods, (even power generation), we still dont actially know if their motives are totally honourable.

19 December 2018

Name Nio may sound stupid now, but so would pretty much anything. This is a problem every new company must face. At first, any name is meaningless untill our brains start to associate it with something. This is where branding comes in. With proper branding (and good products) any name can become "cool" (as long as that the product sold in Spain is not named Pajero :-).

Nio is off  to a good start with their branding. At least most Autocar readers have heard of Nio EP9 and its Nurburgring lap record, and therefore associate the name Nio with fast supercars. It probably cost a fortune to build the EP9, but stunts like that are neccesary when entering a highly competitive market as a new company.

17 December 2018

Folk playing the racist card again eh?  The Chinese have no history of building cars (they do have a long history of building Junk tho) Name a single design element they've introduced to the motoring world? What they do have tho is a long tradition of copying other people's designs on the cheap using basic technology. Just look at their take on the Land Rover Evoque etc for evidence.

As for the word 'premium', it means different things to different people - if reliability is top of the agenda then no Audi isn't premium. Then again does that make a Toyota Corolla a premium product? Not even Toyota would say their Corolla is a premium product. ( that's why they invented Lexus ). In general terms 'premium' is attributed to price AND the materials used / how well they're screwed together all of which means anyone who doesn't think Audi doesn't belong to the 'premium' badge are simply showing their bias. Of course Audi is premium.

As for this Chinese car - well the only way to predict the future is to take account of the past and on that basis, this car may have a premium price, but it will not be premium quality. (see Autocar's report of Chinese top 10 cars if anyone is in doubt).

Anyway whether it's premium or not, it won't sell in Europe as we don't buy Chinese cars - for a very good reason I might add. No doubt someone will cite Skoda - a product that started off as junk and look at it now. But before you do, just remember it was the VW group who turned around Skoda - their original product was a joke - literally!

17 December 2018

Made in...  Says it all.  It will be a poor quality product simply because it's made in China.  As I've said before (and yes, I run a small engineering company) there isn't a single Chinese product made by a Chinese company that is considered 'premium quality'.  All the Chinese know is how to churn out inferior products, some of which are just plain dangerous.  As ever, if you have an opinion, that's fine.  But it's only really valid if (like me) you're an engineer with 43 years experience of truly terrible Chinese products - some of which are baffingly-awful.  A few years ago, we contracted to a British manufacturer and gave them explicit instructions not to use a Chinese company for the prototype of the product.  They ignored us, and stupidly forgot that the company they used (in China) would send us the prototype direct from China (cutting them out).  When we got it we were just dumbfounded (apart from really annoyed).  We couldn't even carry out tests on the product, it was that poor.  I go through life choosing NOT to buy Chinese products.  And no, I do NOT have a Chinese phone.  It may or may not interest you to know that all bread machines are made in China.

To bring in "racist" is childishly absurd and does the contributor no credit.  It's pathetic, and the person should apologise (which he won't).  I don't dislike the Chinese...I dislike all their products (based on considerable expertise and experience).  '289' is correct, people should stop buying Chinese products.  On December 5th, BT removed all Huawei equipment from its 4G system on security grounds, and in May the US banned Huawei and ZTE products from its government systems due to 'unacceptable risk'.  So there's even reasons other than quality to withold from purchasing Chinese stuff.

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week