Currently reading: New Maserati Grecale SUV spotted ahead of 2021 unveiling
Clearest shots yet of Modena's second SUV show off styling of hot Porsche Macan rival
James Attwood, digital editor
2 mins read
15 June 2021

Maserati is gearing up to launch the Grecale as its second SUV, and our spy photographers have snapped the clearest prototype shots yet, outside a manufacturer facility in Italy.

The Grecale is clearly a similar size to the Alfa Romeo Stelvio, with which it will share the bulk of its underpinnings, and despite heavy camouflaging and a fence obscuring most of the car's final design, the influence of the larger Levante is evident.

The brand's important second SUV is named Grecale after the "fierce north-east wind of the Mediterranean Sea". The model forms a key part of Maserati's bold revival plan that it launched last year with the reveal of the MC20 supercar. 

Destined to play "a key role in the brand's development", the Porsche Macan rival will be built on the same production line as the Alfa Romeo Stelvio in the FCA plant in Cassino, Italy. Maserati is planning an investment of around €800 million (£790m) in the plant.

It will also share much of its underpinnings with the Stelvio, and a fully electric version is also due to arrive by 2022. However, the combustion-engined models will use Maserati rather than Alfa-sourced engines, likely to include the mild-hybridised 2.0-litre turbo offered in the Ghibli and Levante, and a downtuned version of the MC20's new Nettuno V6 for the most potent variant. 

Maserati global planning boss Francesco Tonon told Autocar the Grecale will be "the most practical in its class, but it will also be luxurious", adding: "It will feature the best-in-class design and features. Of course, it's still a Maserati but it will also offer best-in-class performance and handling."

SUVs are expected to account for 70% of Maserati's sales by 2025, with saloons reduced to 15% and sports cars, such as the newly launched MC20, making up 5%. 

Back to top

The new SUV was first confirmed back in 2018 by former FCA boss Sergio Marchionne as part of a total overhaul of its product line-up. Also included are the MC20 in three variants: coupé, Spider convertible and fully electric, plus a new Granturismo and Grancabrio, due in both combustion and electric forms. 

By 2023/2024, the brand will also have a new-generation Levante and Quattroporte, also both available with an electric powertrain. In top-spec form, this will use an 800V electrical system and three motors. 


New Maserati MC20 supercar leads Italian brand's revival

Maserati Quattroporte to gain plug-in hybrid option for 2021

New Maserati Levante Hybrid brings improved agility and efficiency​

Join the debate

Add a comment…
BRUCECH 15 June 2021

70 + 15 + 5 = 90% - what is the other 10% going to be?

Andrew1 15 June 2021
To those complaining about yet another SUV remember it is us, the customers, who are driving manufacturers to produce these terrible, utterly useless monstrosities. Even sporty brands like Lambo, Maserati, Jaguar, Aston or Porsche have to do it, to survive. They would gladly produce sports cars if people would buy them.
jonboy4969 15 June 2021

@wmb - umm, Maserati has invested Billions over the last few years to get an entire new range of saloons and sports cars, along with the Hypercar, and this new SUV, things take time, and money was not as forthcoming before, but now, with Ferrari assisting, and cash to spend, they are doing everything they can, Maserati is a sports brand, and to take it to a bigger model would defeat the object of the brand, IMHO, keep it simple, and reasonably sized, too big and you seriously limit your sales, but who knows what else IS on the designers table at present, I know there is more than currently ready for Launch, and Maserati is in for a brilliant coming decade.