Spy pictures suggest most potent ‘Stang is being developed; sources think it’ll be sold in limited numbers and with more power than the Dodge Challenger Hellcat

The Ford Shelby GT500 Mustang is under development and will be sold in limited numbers with 740bhp, according to new reports and inside information.

Photographed testing outside Ford’s Dearborn Development Grounds in Michigan, USA, the high-performance coupé will get aggressive, aerodynamically-tuned bodywork, including a fixed rear wing and prominent front splitter.

The parts dwarf those fitted to the current most powerful Mustang model, the 526bhp GT350R, and back up suggestions that the V8 engine under the bonnet will produce more than 700bhp.

Some sources suggest the engine will be a twin-turbocharged unit capable of outputting as much as 800bhp. They cite a sticker with the letters TT displayed on the Mustang mule’s windscreen as evidence, because the same stickers were spotted on recent Ford SVT Raptor mules and those cars use twin-turbocharged engines.

However, a new report on Horsepower Kings claims with confidence that the hot Mustang will produce 740bhp. While this falls short of previous expectation, it's still a substantial 214bhp more than the next most potent 'Stang, the GT350R.

The current GT350R uses a naturally aspirated, flat-plane crank 5.2-litre V8 that’s good for 526bhp and 429lb ft of torque, but sources say forced induction is the only viable route for Ford to take if it wants to produce a more potent unit for the GT500 to rival those found in the 650bhp Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 and the 707bhp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat.

The photographed GT500 test mule was spotted earlier this month. It sits on Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres and features Brembo brake calipers and drilled and vented disks, like the GT350R, suggesting it'll be just as track focused in its set-up, making it a rival for the motorsport-inspired Porsche 911 GT3 RS.

Ford hasn’t confirmed the arrival of the GT500 and insiders have told Autocar it won't make it to Europe. But some sources think it could come to the UK as an import in very limited numbers. The model’s less powerful sibling, the GT350R, is also expected to be offered in Britain in the near future, although currently its arrival here is unconfirmed.

Our Verdict

Ford Mustang V8 Fastback

The Ford Mustang is available in the UK in right-hand drive for the first time, but does the rest of this American muscle car fit the UK car scene?

Join the debate

Comments
11

TS7

8 August 2016
...expect it to be ludicrously overpriced.

8 August 2016
I think that all the UK registered Mustangs must all be in London or something,because i haven't seen one since it came here!,this powerhouse?,won't get here because an absurd amount of power doesn't matter if you haven't got the room to use it,a Tesla would still beat it over the quarter mile!,plus i haven't read many articles by emminent car scribes who like it.

Peter Cavellini.

TS7

8 August 2016
... in Oxfordshire and Lincolnshire. Plenty being about one a day.

8 August 2016
Peter Cavellini wrote:

a Tesla would still beat it over the quarter mile!

And a Hotpoint washine machine is better than a buxom wench sat next to a river smashing your clothes on a stone, but one is well just white goods, and the other is the complete opposite, but I know who would be getting my load..

9 August 2016
Citytiger wrote:
Peter Cavellini wrote:

a Tesla would still beat it over the quarter mile!

And a Hotpoint washine machine is better than a buxom wench sat next to a river smashing your clothes on a stone, but one is well just white goods, and the other is the complete opposite, but I know who would be getting my load..

Then close up you realise the wench is actually based on 60 year old architecture that cricks, drinks like a fish, smokes and drops fluids everywhere.

 

Hydrogen cars just went POP

9 August 2016
xxxx wrote:
Citytiger wrote:
Peter Cavellini wrote:

a Tesla would still beat it over the quarter mile!

And a Hotpoint washine machine is better than a buxom wench sat next to a river smashing your clothes on a stone, but one is well just white goods, and the other is the complete opposite, but I know who would be getting my load..

Then close up you realise the wench is actually based on 60 year old architecture that cricks, drinks like a fish, smokes and drops fluids everywhere.

Which one would that be then, because the latest Mustang isnt any of those..

23 August 2016
Citytiger wrote:
xxxx wrote:
Citytiger wrote:
Peter Cavellini wrote:

a Tesla would still beat it over the quarter mile!

And a Hotpoint washine machine is better than a buxom wench sat next to a river smashing your clothes on a stone, but one is well just white goods, and the other is the complete opposite, but I know who would be getting my load..

Then close up you realise the wench is actually based on 60 year old architecture that cricks, drinks like a fish, smokes and drops fluids everywhere.

Which one would that be then, because the latest Mustang isnt any of those..

Can't you read, it's the buxom wench sat next to a river, not the poorly finished high consumption Mustang of course.

 

Hydrogen cars just went POP

9 August 2016
Peter Cavellini wrote:

a Tesla would still beat it over the quarter mile!

Th 'one trick pony' in it's right, and only, environment where it shines.

Dan

23 August 2016
Peter Cavellini wrote:

I think that all the UK registered Mustangs must all be in London or something,because i haven't seen one since it came here!,this powerhouse?,won't get here because an absurd amount of power doesn't matter if you haven't got the room to use it,a Tesla would still beat it over the quarter mile!,plus i haven't read many articles by emminent car scribes who like it.

Illiterate drivel


23 August 2016
I wonder if all buyers of this car will get a personal letter of thanks from the tyre manufacturers, whose products they will be buying every few weeks. How on earth are you supposed to get 740HP plus a whole bunch of torques from a front heavy car to the lightly loaded rear wheels. I had a 2WD F Type V8 on a morning's test on a pouring wet day and the traction control light was on most of the time and that is only 500HP. The only time I ever see the traction control light on my 997 Turbo S is on ice or snow. For cars over 500HP, for every day drive-ability, 4WD is the way to go. The Mustang GT500 is a silly car for show offs who like making tyre smoke. I had a Mustang on hire in the USA last summer and I was not impressed. Ridiculously high geared and very old fashioned feeling.
Wilson Laidlaw

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

  • Kia Stonic
    First Drive
    18 October 2017
    Handsome entrant into the bulging small crossover market has a strong engine and agile handling, but isn’t as comfortable or complete as rivals
  • Hyundai Kona
    First Drive
    18 October 2017
    Hyundai's funky-looking Kona crossover with a peppy three-cylinder engine makes all the right noises for the car to be a success in a crowded segment
  • Citroën C3 Aircross
    First Drive
    17 October 2017
    The Citroen C3 Aircross has got funky looks and a charming interior, but it's another small SUV, and another dynamic miss. Numb steering is just one thing keeping it from class best
  • Skoda-Karoq 2.0 TDI 4x4
    First Drive
    16 October 2017
    Diesel version of Skoda’s junior SUV is unobtrusive and undemanding, but we’d still go for the silkier petrol version of the Karoq
  • Audi Q7 e-tron
    First Drive
    16 October 2017
    Expensive and flawed but this understated diesel-electric Audi Q7 has a lot to offer