Currently reading: European car industry defends emissions standards amid TRUE Initiative media storm
Study findings fail to mention that data does not include the most up-to-date cars; Euro 6d cars do not fall under the TRUE Initiative's data collection
Jimi Beckwith
News
2 mins read
6 June 2018

The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) has panned The Real Urban Emissions (TRUE) Initiative, describing its claims as ‘misleading’. 

The TRUE Initiative, involving the International Council on Clean Transportation, FIA Foundation, Global NCAP, Transport & Environment and C40 Cities, claimed that even new diesel cars were failing to meet emissions standards set by the European Union, based on real-world emissions readings.

Data was collected between 2011 and 2017, so Euro 6d-compliant vehicles were missed from the collection. Euro 6d came into effect in September 2017, but many media outlets reporting the study's findings have failed to mention this fact. 

A total of 4850 car models were tested under the scheme, using a remote sensor that detects emissions by shining a beam of light through exhaust gases.

A green rating given by the TRUE Initiative signifies less than 90mg/km of NOx, yellow represents between 90 and 190mg/km and red is given to cars emitting more than 180mg/km. 

The TRUE Initiative claims that around 750,000 records were kept, and of this 750,000, just 9% of Euro 6 diesel cars were not given a red rating, while none were given a green rating.

Not one Euro 5, 4 or 3-standard car was given a yellow or green rating.

For petrol cars, 63% of Euro 6 cars achieved a green rating, with the remaining 37% gaining yellow ratings. For Euro 5 petrol models, 55% were rated green, 41% yellow and 4% red. Euro 4 petrols got 28% green, 64% yellow and 8% red, while just 3% of Euro 3 petrols were given green ratings, with 53% rated yellow and 44% red. 

ACEA secretary general Erik Jonnaert said: “EU policy-makers will be equally disappointed that there is no acknowledgement that the latest Euro 6 diesel cars complying with the new RDE [Real Driving Emissions] legislation are very clean.”

“As all cars tested as part of this TRUE Initiative were pre-Euro 6d vehicles, the fact that they do not meet emissions requirements that only became mandatory after they were put on the market is not surprising.”

Autocar has approached the TRUE Initiative for comment. 

Read more:

Leading EU automotive bodies warn of potential Brexit damage

New UK diesel car tax hike now in force

New UK real-world emissions tests begin

Advertisement
Advertisement

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

Back to top

Join the debate

Comments
4

6 June 2018
The car makers are fortunate that the TRUE study does not include figures from the Euro 6 diesels otherwise there would have been no place for them to hide. Still the study covers models that have been on sale until now which gives the proponents of banning these mobile emission factories from the city centres a very sooty strong evidence for their pro-ban argument.

27 May 2019
fadyady wrote:

The car makers are fortunate that the TRUE study does not include figures from the Euro 6 diesels otherwise there would have been no place for them to hide. Still the study covers models that have been on sale until now which gives the proponents of banning these mobile emission factories from the city centres a very sooty strong evidence for their pro-ban argument.

Yes, you have written the right thought, it should be considered while revealing the details.  I will try to mention while doing 

college essay writing.

7 June 2018

So basically any diesel on the road 1 year ago fails the test, whereas no recent petrol cars are truely evil. Yet for years, as each emission standard has been introduced we have been told, its OK, diesel is clean now. Its the same today, 'buy our latest EU6d and its clean'. Why should we believe them? And even if they are clean today, why should we believe thay will stay that way?

 

24 March 2020

I think all cars should be eco friendly so that they can perfom well in this era.

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week