Currently reading: Alfa Romeo Giulietta to be axed this year
Upcoming Tonale SUV is indirect replacement for hatchback, says Italian maker
Rachel Burgess
News
2 mins read
2 April 2020

The Alfa Romeo Giulietta will be axed later this year as the Italian maker focuses on expanding its more profitable SUV line-up.

The hatchback was not included in plans for the brand detailed late last year, but its off-sale date had not been confirmed until now.

Fabio Migliavacca said: “Giulietta is expected to finish its life at the end of this year. The trend is to have SUVs in the C-segment, so the Tonale SUV will be the replacement for Giulietta.”

He added that Alfa Romeo was focused on ensuring the upcoming Tonale would have the same driving dynamics as the Giulietta despite being an SUV. “We don’t expect driving dynamics to be a weak point for the Tonale,” he said.

The Giulietta, launched in 2010, has struggled to find sales in recent years. Last year, it sold 15,690 units in Europe, compared with 78,911 in 2011, its best-selling year.

Meanwhile, the Tonale (above), which has already been seen in concept form and through leaked images, is expected to be revealed officially this year, although the coronavirus pandemic may well delay its launch.

The Tonale will sit below the Stelvio in Alfa Romeo’s SUV range and will be the brand’s first plug-in hybrid, employing a similar set-up to the upcoming Jeep Compass PHEV, which is promising an electric-only range of 30 miles.

Migliavacca said that although the plug-in hybrid Tonale will have commonalities with its Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) stablemate at Jeep, it will still be an Alfa Romeo: “For the performance side of things, it will be an Alfa Romeo. Every single brand in FCA keeps its identity even with shared elements.”

READ MORE 

New Alfa Romeo Tonale: 2020 production car leaks online 

Alfa Romeo scraps plans for new GTV and 8C models 

New Alfa Romeo Giulia GTA is firm's most powerful model yet

Advertisement
Advertisement

Find an Autocar review

Read our review

Car review
Alfa Romeo Giulietta

The Alfa Romeo Giulietta has its flaws, but its dynamic capabilities and stylish looks are enough to keep it in contention

Join the debate

Comments
14

2 April 2020

I understand the manufacturers decision based on consumer preference, but why do consumers want 'so called' SUV's? What advantage do they provide?

2 April 2020

... pretty certain that's what people focus on. Probably much to do about increasing average age of people - higher seating is easier for entry and exit for elderly limbs and knees.

2 April 2020

Looks very elegant though in that shade of nail varnish

2 April 2020

Now if only it had slighly smaller wheels and lower ride height... it might just be a fitting replacement for the Giulietta. 

2 April 2020

I'm all for choice which is why have no problems with SUV's, I understand their advantages.  As for Alfa, it's not like this couldn't be foreseen and soon there'll be 2 models in their range and one of those is struggling.   Maybe people were to concerned with slating JLR!

2 April 2020
xxxx wrote:

I'm all for choice which is why have no problems with SUV's, I understand their advantages.  As for Alfa, it's not like this couldn't be foreseen and soon there'll be 2 models in their range and one of those is struggling.   Maybe people were to concerned with slating JLR!

If youre "all for choice" you should have a problem with SUVs because nowadays the choice is SUV or nothing, so as usual your post makes no sense.

2 April 2020
typos1 wrote:

xxxx wrote:

I'm all for choice which is why have no problems with SUV's, I understand their advantages.  As for Alfa, it's not like this couldn't be foreseen and soon there'll be 2 models in their range and one of those is struggling.   Maybe people were to concerned with slating JLR!

If youre "all for choice" you should have a problem with SUVs because nowadays the choice is SUV or nothing, so as usual your post makes no sense.

Yes I am for choice. So you think all that's sold these days are SUV's or nothing, really, open your eyes muppet head there's plenty of choice still. 

3 April 2020
xxxx wrote:

typos1 wrote:

xxxx wrote:

I'm all for choice which is why have no problems with SUV's, I understand their advantages.  As for Alfa, it's not like this couldn't be foreseen and soon there'll be 2 models in their range and one of those is struggling.   Maybe people were to concerned with slating JLR!

If youre "all for choice" you should have a problem with SUVs because nowadays the choice is SUV or nothing, so as usual your post makes no sense.

Yes I am for choice. So you think all that's sold these days are SUV's or nothing, really, open your eyes muppet head there's plenty of choice still. 

Right, I ve opened my eyes all I can see is a LACK OF CHOICE and more SUVs and FAKE SUVs than I can be bothered to count - example 1) you want a mid size Alfa that ISNT an SUV or a fake SUV, as this article says from next year YOU CANT HAVE ONE. Example 2) You want a mid sized Nissan that isnt an SUV or a fake SUV, YOU CANT HAVE ONE. Example 3) You want a Renault MPV that isnt an SUV or a fake SUV, YOU CANT HAVE ONE. Everyone knows its all about SUVs nowadays, apart from you dick.

2 April 2020
SUVs are over.

You couldn't come up with a product less appropriate for these times.

2 April 2020
eseaton wrote:

SUVs are over. You couldn't come up with a product less appropriate for these times.

what makes you think that?

 

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review