What have the Liberal Democrats done in the past?
The Liberal Democrats have never formed a government, but their attitude towards drivers is well reflected by Lib Dem local councils.
- Most famously, the Lib Dem council in Richmond, south-west London, has introduced parking and resident permit charges based on CO2 emissions.
- The policy was to “change behaviour” and force families out of large-engined vehicles, even though parked vehicles emit no pollutants.
- Zealous control of parking has been a Lib Dem favourite since the mid-2000s, when Islington council went on a de-parking rampage. It removed road-side parking spaces and hiked-up charges. Draconian enforcement ratcheted up the number of fines.
- Local businesses began a vociferous protest, claiming that trade was being hit because shoppers could no longer visit by car.
- The council was later voted out of office, with many commentators suggesting that handing out expensive fines to local drivers proved a vote loser.