Brand won't invest into diesel for now, instead waiting to see how the market changes and focusing on plug-in hybrids
3 October 2018

Peugeot is the latest brand to confirm it is halting development of diesel engines until the market stabilises, and it may remove them altogether if demand continues to fall.

The PSA Group’s product director, Laurent Blanchet, told Autocar at the Paris motor show that the future of diesel is “uncertain” and that “we will have to see if the market is going to delete or give up on diesel”.

The company has recently launched a new 1.5-litre diesel engine that meets the most stringent emissions regulations for the next few years but may not be adapted beyond that.

“We have decided not to develop more evolutions of diesel technology, because we want to see what's going to happen,” Blanchet confirmed.

Speaking separately, Peugeot CEO Jean-Phillipe Imparato admitted that the company had "made a mistake with pushing diesels," as its aggressive development and substantial investment may not pay off in terms of the fuel's future market share.

The market share of diesel engines in European car sales has fallen from around 50% at the start of 2017 to roughly 36%. Fallout from the Volkswagen Dieselgate emissions cheating scandal is cited as one reason buyers are staying away, alongside threats of increased taxation and concerns over particulate pollution.

Other manufacturers, such as Kia, have also halted further diesel development.

Blanchet continued: “We have decided that, if in 2022 or 2023 the market is, say, 5% made of up diesel, we will give up on it.

"If the market is 30%, the question will be very different. I think nobody can say yet where the market will be. But what is clear is that the diesel trend is going down.

Our Verdict

Peugeot 508 2018 road test review - hero front

Is Peugeot’s rakish new Mondeo rival as good to drive as it is to look at - and has it done enough to best competitor saloons?

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

  • Kia Ceed 2018 long-term review - hero front
    16 November 2018
    First Drive
    The latest Ceed is the best yet. But is it now good enough to be a real...
  • Honda CR-V 2018 road test review - hero front
    16 November 2018
    Car review
    For its fourth-generation, Honda moves its long-established CR-V into full-...
  • Maserati Levante GranSport V6 2018 first drive - hero front
    15 November 2018
    First Drive
    Stylish Levante is now available with an entry-level V6 petrol engine. We put...

“As you know, we have launched a new 1.5-litre diesel engine, which will keep things going for now. The question is not our products, because we know we have very good diesel engines and we know that diesel is very competitive in terms of CO2 emissions.”

Peugeot’s focus now is on electrification, Blanchet said. The PSA Group plans to offer a plug-in hybrid or electric version of every Citroën, DS, Peugeot and Opel/Vauxhall model launched from next year onwards.

Peugeot has already presented plug-in hybrid versions of its 3008, 508 and 508 SW, with more to come. The focus for smaller models, such as A and B-segment superminis, will be on offering battery electric powertrains in addition to petrol engines.

PSA is predicting a tenfold growth in plug-in sales to around 10 million units by 2025, driven by markets such as China.

READ MORE

New Peugeot 208 spied with production body for 2019

Peugeot 508 SW First Edition makes its debut at Paris

Peugeot e-Legend concept unveiled

Join the debate

Comments
18

3 October 2018

 Diesel was going to go along with Petrol anyway long before manure hit the fan with VW gate, transport has to move on, progress to hopefully better ways of transport, old forms have to move over, imagine what it must have been like when slowly the Horse and Cart fell out of favour when those new Horseless Cars appeared, well, now it’s the fossil fuels turn, EV will be the motive power, so Peugeot is just being prudent and waiting to see how the Car market goes.

Peter Cavellini.

3 October 2018

Wonder if in 20 years time we'll think of Diesel in the same light as leaded petrol especially as we knew of the dangers, WHO reports on the number of lives lost etc.

They would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for sheer number of inappropriate cars being sold to the gullible (mainly Europeans), oh and those pesky kids (doctors etc in this case)

 

typos1 - Just can’t respect opinion

FMS

4 October 2018
xxxx wrote:

Wonder if in 20 years time we'll think of Diesel in the same light as leaded petrol especially as we knew of the dangers, WHO reports on the number of lives lost etc.

They would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for sheer number of inappropriate cars being sold to the gullible (mainly Europeans), oh and those pesky kids (doctors etc in this case)

 

 

You are indeed the Churchill of modern times...do you know what that means?...warning well in advance of the gathering storm, while you clarion calls fell on deaf ears...either that or you use your 20/20 hindsight. TwIT

3 October 2018
Still waiting for Volkswagen to make such an announcement. Find it hard to believe that they are still offering small cars like Polo with diesel engines at a time when they should be considering offering diesel only in SUVs and other larger cars. I keep coming back to VW because the group churns out millions of these emissions nightmares.

3 October 2018
fadyady wrote:

Still waiting for Volkswagen to make such an announcement. Find it hard to believe that they are still offering small cars like Polo with diesel engines at a time when they should be considering offering diesel only in SUVs and other larger cars. I keep coming back to VW because the group churns out millions of these emissions nightmares.

The issue with the diesel in the Polo is that it is neither powerful enough nor does it have enough gears for motorway driving. Limiting diesel to SUVs is daft because they aren’t even at their optimum in these things. Plenty of motorway drivers doing high mileages still need a diesel until there’s A) more choice from electric, B) a better charging network and C) more lower-priced options.

It’s all well and good to sit and say “they should be doing this and that” but we are not in a position where diesel should be dumped. A friend of mine has just bought a petrol 1-Series for a daily commute of about 90 miles - he’s going to be feeling that when he’s visiting the pumps every couple of days. 


"Work hard and be nice to people"

3 October 2018
Mini2 wrote:

fadyady wrote:

Still waiting for Volkswagen to make such an announcement. Find it hard to believe that they are still offering small cars like Polo with diesel engines at a time when they should be considering offering diesel only in SUVs and other larger cars. I keep coming back to VW because the group churns out millions of these emissions nightmares.

The issue with the diesel in the Polo is that it is neither powerful enough nor does it have enough gears for motorway driving. Limiting diesel to SUVs is daft because they aren’t even at their optimum in these things. Plenty of motorway drivers doing high mileages still need a diesel until there’s A) more choice from electric, B) a better charging network and C) more lower-priced options.

It’s all well and good to sit and say “they should be doing this and that” but we are not in a position where diesel should be dumped. A friend of mine has just bought a petrol 1-Series for a daily commute of about 90 miles - he’s going to be feeling that when he’s visiting the pumps every couple of days. 

90 mile commute refuelling every 2 days, I'd get the hole in the tank fixed. Still with the money saved on buying a petrol 1 series rather than a diesel he can afford to 

typos1 - Just can’t respect opinion

3 October 2018
xxxx wrote:

Mini2 wrote:

fadyady wrote:

Still waiting for Volkswagen to make such an announcement. Find it hard to believe that they are still offering small cars like Polo with diesel engines at a time when they should be considering offering diesel only in SUVs and other larger cars. I keep coming back to VW because the group churns out millions of these emissions nightmares.

The issue with the diesel in the Polo is that it is neither powerful enough nor does it have enough gears for motorway driving. Limiting diesel to SUVs is daft because they aren’t even at their optimum in these things. Plenty of motorway drivers doing high mileages still need a diesel until there’s A) more choice from electric, B) a better charging network and C) more lower-priced options.

It’s all well and good to sit and say “they should be doing this and that” but we are not in a position where diesel should be dumped. A friend of mine has just bought a petrol 1-Series for a daily commute of about 90 miles - he’s going to be feeling that when he’s visiting the pumps every couple of days. 

90 mile commute refuelling every 2 days, I'd get the hole in the tank fixed. Still with the money saved on buying a petrol 1 series rather than a diesel he can afford to 

. My three Day commute is 390miles, mpg is about 42,so that’s roughly three gallons a Day or £19.00 in my 3series, I’d rather do this than have to charge up an EV, but, as and when they can get a battery charge to go 500 maybe 700 miles, I might reconsider....

Peter Cavellini.

3 October 2018
Peter Cavellini wrote:

xxxx wrote:

Mini2 wrote:

fadyady wrote:

Still waiting for Volkswagen to make such an announcement. Find it hard to believe that they are still offering small cars like Polo with diesel engines at a time when they should be considering offering diesel only in SUVs and other larger cars. I keep coming back to VW because the group churns out millions of these emissions nightmares.

The issue with the diesel in the Polo is that it is neither powerful enough nor does it have enough gears for motorway driving. Limiting diesel to SUVs is daft because they aren’t even at their optimum in these things. Plenty of motorway drivers doing high mileages still need a diesel until there’s A) more choice from electric, B) a better charging network and C) more lower-priced options.

It’s all well and good to sit and say “they should be doing this and that” but we are not in a position where diesel should be dumped. A friend of mine has just bought a petrol 1-Series for a daily commute of about 90 miles - he’s going to be feeling that when he’s visiting the pumps every couple of days. 

90 mile commute refuelling every 2 days, I'd get the hole in the tank fixed. Still with the money saved on buying a petrol 1 series rather than a diesel he can afford to 

. My three Day commute is 390miles, mpg is about 42,so that’s roughly three gallons a Day or £19.00 in my 3series, I’d rather do this than have to charge up an EV, but, as and when they can get a battery charge to go 500 maybe 700 miles, I might reconsider....

£19.00 a day?


"Work hard and be nice to people"

4 October 2018
Mini2 wrote:

Peter Cavellini wrote:

xxxx wrote:

Mini2 wrote:

fadyady wrote:

Still waiting for Volkswagen to make such an announcement. Find it hard to believe that they are still offering small cars like Polo with diesel engines at a time when they should be considering offering diesel only in SUVs and other larger cars. I keep coming back to VW because the group churns out millions of these emissions nightmares.

The issue with the diesel in the Polo is that it is neither powerful enough nor does it have enough gears for motorway driving. Limiting diesel to SUVs is daft because they aren’t even at their optimum in these things. Plenty of motorway drivers doing high mileages still need a diesel until there’s A) more choice from electric, B) a better charging network and C) more lower-priced options.

It’s all well and good to sit and say “they should be doing this and that” but we are not in a position where diesel should be dumped. A friend of mine has just bought a petrol 1-Series for a daily commute of about 90 miles - he’s going to be feeling that when he’s visiting the pumps every couple of days. 

90 mile commute refuelling every 2 days, I'd get the hole in the tank fixed. Still with the money saved on buying a petrol 1 series rather than a diesel he can afford to 

. My three Day commute is 390miles, mpg is about 42,so that’s roughly three gallons a Day or £19.00 in my 3series, I’d rather do this than have to charge up an EV, but, as and when they can get a battery charge to go 500 maybe 700 miles, I might reconsider....

£19.00 a day?

Peter Cavellini.

4 October 2018
Peter Cavellini wrote:

Mini2 wrote:

Peter Cavellini wrote:

xxxx wrote:

Mini2 wrote:

fadyady wrote:

Still waiting for Volkswagen to make such an announcement. Find it hard to believe that they are still offering small cars like Polo with diesel engines at a time when they should be considering offering diesel only in SUVs and other larger cars. I keep coming back to VW because the group churns out millions of these emissions nightmares.

The issue with the diesel in the Polo is that it is neither powerful enough nor does it have enough gears for motorway driving. Limiting diesel to SUVs is daft because they aren’t even at their optimum in these things. Plenty of motorway drivers doing high mileages still need a diesel until there’s A) more choice from electric, B) a better charging network and C) more lower-priced options.

It’s all well and good to sit and say “they should be doing this and that” but we are not in a position where diesel should be dumped. A friend of mine has just bought a petrol 1-Series for a daily commute of about 90 miles - he’s going to be feeling that when he’s visiting the pumps every couple of days. 

90 mile commute refuelling every 2 days, I'd get the hole in the tank fixed. Still with the money saved on buying a petrol 1 series rather than a diesel he can afford to 

. My three Day commute is 390miles, mpg is about 42,so that’s roughly three gallons a Day or £19.00 in my 3series, I’d rather do this than have to charge up an EV, but, as and when they can get a battery charge to go 500 maybe 700 miles, I might reconsider....

£19.00 a day?

 Daily commute is about 130miles, which equates to about three and a bit Gallons, fuel price is a £1.27p give you a figure just under £19.00.

Peter Cavellini.

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

  • Kia Ceed 2018 long-term review - hero front
    16 November 2018
    First Drive
    The latest Ceed is the best yet. But is it now good enough to be a real...
  • Honda CR-V 2018 road test review - hero front
    16 November 2018
    Car review
    For its fourth-generation, Honda moves its long-established CR-V into full-...
  • Maserati Levante GranSport V6 2018 first drive - hero front
    15 November 2018
    First Drive
    Stylish Levante is now available with an entry-level V6 petrol engine. We put...