The newest version of Toyota's small car will be available with a 2.0-litre hybrid but no diesel engine

The new Toyota Auris has been revealed at the Geneva motor show – and will be available with a choice of petrol hybrid engines, but no diesel options.

Speaking at the reveal of the latest version of the small car, Toyota’s European boss, Johan Van Zyl, said that the decision to axe a diesel version was due to customer demand, noting that 41% of Toyota’s European sales in 2017 were hybrid models.

New Toyota Supra previewed with racing concept

As expected, the new Auris will be offered with three powertrain choices. The only conventional option is a 1.2-litre turbocharged petrol motor with 114 bhp. Two hybrid systems will be offered: the 1.8-litre, 121bhp motor currently used in the C-HR and Prius, and a new 2.0-litre version with 178bhp. 

Opinion: Does Toyota's Auris decision put it ahead of the diesel curve?

Van Zyl said: “In Europe, Auris is the model which moved [hybrid] technology from niche to mainstream. It’s been a breakthrough car for Toyota, because most have been bought by people new to the model or the technology.”

Geneva motor show - live news and updates

Speaking about the decision to remove diesel engines from its passenger cars in Europe, Van Zyl added: “Customer demand is a clear sign that our petrol-electric hybrids are a strong and popular alternative.”

The new Auris is built on the Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) platform. Van Zyl said: “TNGA gives the car rigidity and a low centre of gravity. These are the qualities you need for outstanding comfort, handling and driving pleasure.” Styling, particularly at the rear, takes clear direction from the 2009 Lexus LF-Ch concept, which previewed the CT hatchback.

The Auris is 4370mm long, 1790mm wide and 1435mm high, with a wheelbase of 2640mm. That makes it 40mm longer and 30mm wider than the old model, although it is 25mm lower.

The redesigned front end features a grille that Toyota says is shaped like a catamaran hull, and also sports new LED headlights and daytime running lights. At the back, the rear windscreen is increased in rake, and a roof spoiler is standard on all trim levels.

The Auris will be built at Toyota’s Burnaston factory in Derbyshire. Last year, the firm invested £240 million to prepare the plant for the transition to the TNGA platform. 

Read more

Opinion: Does Toyota's Auris decision put it ahead of the diesel curve?

New Toyota Auris to get extra hybrid engine choice

Geneva motor show - live news and updates

New Toyota Supra previewed with racing concept

Our Verdict

Toyota Auris

The new Toyota Auris is super-rational and a good ownership proposition, but it lacks character and dynamics of the best in class

Join the debate

Comments
17

6 March 2018

So it IS still going to be called the Auris. I wonder where the rumour about changing its name back to Corolloa in Europe came from?

6 March 2018

I think the rumour was that there might be a saloon version that might take the Corolla name, though compact saloons based on hatches are terrible sellers over here generally. The current Auris is already sold in the US as the Corolla iM, so it'll probably be branded Corolla over there.

7 March 2018
Orangewheels wrote:

I think the rumour was that there might be a saloon version that might take the Corolla name, though compact saloons based on hatches are terrible sellers over here generally. The current Auris is already sold in the US as the Corolla iM, so it'll probably be branded Corolla over there.

In Ireland it already does.

6 March 2018

Externally and engine wise. If you don't want an expensive Hybrid you've a choice of either the 1.2 or, or nothing. Looks like Toyota haven't learned 

typos1 - Just can’t respect opinion

6 March 2018

I don't think it looks dull. I don't think it is the last word is style, but certainly not dull. I think it the most interesting looking Auris there has been. I think they are right to not be selling a diesel version, as it really is a USP for them

6 March 2018

It wouldn’t be an Autocar story without an opinion stated as fact from XXXX would it?

Toyota haven’t learned what? The Auris ended 2017 in 3rd place for Retail sales in its class, ahead of Astra and Leon. Most of those sales were Hybrid.

My guess is the new version will continue that trend. Toyota are a very clever company, far cleverer than any of us here in the comments section.

 

 

6 March 2018
Ape Fight wrote:

It wouldn’t be an Autocar story without an opinion stated as fact from XXXX would it?

Toyota haven’t learned what? The Auris ended 2017 in 3rd place for Retail sales in its class, ahead of Astra and Leon. Most of those sales were Hybrid.

My guess is the new version will continue that trend. Toyota are a very clever company, far cleverer than any of us here in the comments section.

Emm ahead of the Leon, what does that actually mean, The Auris was Dull and sales in Europe were a failure no matter how you wish to dress it and insult others.  "Toyota are a very clever company" their sales have faultered and they're make hydrogen cars rather the Electric ones, none to clever IMHO.

typos1 - Just can’t respect opinion

6 March 2018

Nissan recently stopped production of the Pulsar {remember that ?} after a relatively short run. This segment has moved on a lot and the Auris has not been a great contender in the UK. I am sure it will sell but not in huge volumes

7 March 2018
Bolida wrote:

Nissan recently stopped production of the Pulsar {remember that ?} after a relatively short run. This segment has moved on a lot and the Auris has not been a great contender in the UK. I am sure it will sell but not in huge volumes

Have you a source for this? The Pulsar is still on price lists and spec-able on their website.

8 March 2018
WallMeerkat wrote:

Bolida wrote:

Nissan recently stopped production of the Pulsar {remember that ?} after a relatively short run. This segment has moved on a lot and the Auris has not been a great contender in the UK. I am sure it will sell but not in huge volumes

Have you a source for this? The Pulsar is still on price lists and spec-able on their website.

Production will cease in the next few months. Biggest mistake Nissan made recently was not upping capacity and producing the Pulsar at Sunderland. A completely illogical decision to build it at a truck factory some 2000kms from it's supply base. Hired one a few times, not that bad a car really.

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week