Kia's Nissan Juke rival will go on sale in the UK later this year; it's expected to make its debut at the Frankfurt motor show

Kia will reveal its Nissan Juke rival before the end of this year, with the Frankfurt motor show the most likely venue.

The first pictures of the Kia Stonic - as it is expected to be called - have surfaced. Click here for more.

Kia has confirmed the project exists, and that it has the internal codename SE, although the ‘Stonic’ has been trademarked.

Kia spokesman confirmed that the Stonic will sit slightly below the Soul in Kia's line-up. We've spotted Hyundai, Kia's parent company, testing its SUV of the same size, with which the Kia is likely to share components. 

Despite the model's small size it will be a more fully-fledged SUV, where the Soul blurs the lines between MPV and SUV.

1.4-litre petrol and diesel engines and the car's platform will be shared with the Rio, while more powerful versions will share engines with lower-end Sportages, such as the 1.6 GDI. Four-wheel drive will be reserved for high-spec cars.

When it's launched, the as-yet-unnamed Kia small SUV will rival the Renault Captur and Nissan Juke, as well as the upcoming Polo-based SUV from VW and the Seat Arona. Prices will match rivals'; expect around £17,000. 

Our Verdict

Kia Soul

Kia adds refinement and maturity to its funky crossover without leaching out the charm. Still flawed dynamically

Join the debate

Comments
6

18 January 2017
It is annoying that both Hyundai and Kia do not manufacture anything in the Uk mainly Slovakia and korea i am informed. trump has the right idea and will give them a shock in The USA aS THEY ONLY MAKE HALF IN THE usa with the balance imported.

19 January 2017
Ski Kid wrote:

It is annoying that both Hyundai and Kia do not manufacture anything in the Uk mainly Slovakia and korea i am informed. trump has the right idea and will give them a shock in The USA aS THEY ONLY MAKE HALF IN THE usa with the balance imported.

...and the reciprocal 30% duty on JLR, Mini, Toyota, Nissan, Honda exports from UK should really help their sales

19 January 2017
sierra wrote:
Ski Kid wrote:

It is annoying that both Hyundai and Kia do not manufacture anything in the Uk mainly Slovakia and korea i am informed. trump has the right idea and will give them a shock in The USA aS THEY ONLY MAKE HALF IN THE usa with the balance imported.

...and the reciprocal 30% duty on JLR, Mini, Toyota, Nissan, Honda exports from UK should really help their sales

Be surprized if hardly any Toyota's etc sold in Korea are made in the UK

 

Hydrogen cars just went POP

19 January 2017
iN A RIGHT CHICKEN RUN THE uK IMPORTS WAY more THAN EXPORTS to the EU,IF THE EU GET STUPID AND WANT TO PENALIsE THE WE COULD WARN WHAT WILL OCCUR IE 30% COUSD BE MORE IMPORT TARIFF.THE eU WOULD REVERT TO SET TARIFFS OF APPROX 10% THEY WOULD BE IN A RIGHT STEW,fORD WOULD HAve to build in the UK again,Astra factory would be very busy.from the extra duty collected which goes to the UK do not forget on imports,never mentioned anywhere,we will subsidize the exporters so they are not out of pocket simple, certtainly I admire Trump for his powerfull no messing about although you can go too far.But hopefully all this shit willpass as in the end it should stay as it isn many respects.

18 January 2017
Still building cars in the wrong order. The Niro is in the right direction but they need to make a bigger one not smaller, preferably with a big enough battery to be plug-in, have they not seen how well PHEV SUV's are selling in Europe?

19 January 2017
The Apprentice wrote:

Still building cars in the wrong order. The Niro is in the right direction but they need to make a bigger one not smaller, preferably with a big enough battery to be plug-in, have they not seen how well PHEV SUV's are selling in Europe?

August 2017

Kia Niro PHEV

Regular hybrid’s launch will be followed by a more frugal plug-in version.

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

  • Jaguar XF Sportbrake TDV6
    First Drive
    19 October 2017
    The handsome Jaguar XF Sportbrake exhibits all the hallmarks that makes the saloon great, and with the silky smooth diesel V6 makes it a compelling choice
  • Volkswagen T-Roc TDI
    First Drive
    19 October 2017
    Volkswagen's new compact crossover has the looks, the engineering and the build quality to be a resounding success, but not with this diesel engine
  • BMW M550i
    First Drive
    19 October 2017
    The all-paw M550i is a fast, effortless mile-muncher, but there's a reason why it won't be sold in the UK
  • Volvo V90
    First Drive
    19 October 2017
    The Volvo V90 is a big estate ploughing its own furrow. We’re about to see if it is refreshing or misguided
  • Kia Stonic
    First Drive
    18 October 2017
    Handsome entrant into the bulging small crossover market has a strong engine and agile handling, but isn’t as comfortable or complete as rivals