The announcement follows what Honda describes as "sustained conditions of low demand in European markets".
Jim Holder
11 January 2013

Honda has announced it will cut 800 jobs from its UK operations by this spring.

The announcement follows what Honda describes as "sustained conditions of low demand in European markets". It describes the moves as necessary in order to ensure the long-term stability of its future business.

"Honda remains fully committed for the long-term to its UK and European manufacturing operations,” said Ken Keir, Executive Vice President, Honda Motor Europe. "However, these conditions of sustained low industry demand require us to take difficult decisions. We are setting the business constitution at the right level to ensure long term stability and security.”

Honda's plant in Swindon has capacity to build 250,000 cars a year, but last year built just 166,000.

Honda's UK sales rose 7.18 per cent last year, but its market share fell slightly to 2.61 per cent, despite the full launch of its all-new Honda Civic. UK sales struggles have been reflected throughout Europe.

Our Verdict

Honda Civic

The Honda Civic is an impressive achievement and a worthy rival to the Volkswagen Golf and Ford Focus, but it isn't quite up to class-leading standards

Join the debate

Comments
24

11 January 2013

A little more information would be good.

How many people do Honda employ in the UK in the first place?

On the face of it 800 jobs is a big figure but what does that work out as a percentage of their workforce?

Personally I hope their new 1.6 diesel engine will help boost sales in Europe as well as the proposed "tourer" version.

 

 

It's all about the twisties........

11 January 2013

TegTypeR wrote:

A little more information would be good.

How many people do Honda employ in the UK in the first place?

On the face of it 800 jobs is a big figure but what does that work out as a percentage of their workforce?

Personally I hope their new 1.6 diesel engine will help boost sales in Europe as well as the proposed "tourer" version.

Honda employs 3500 workers. The 800 jobs to go is 22% of the total workers.

11 January 2013

...nearly !00,000 under capacity

11 January 2013

According to BBC, Honda employ 3,500 at Swindon, 500 of which were added last year, so this is a bit of a sharp turnaround.

Not terribly surprised, Honda's products haven't been so well recieved of late and they're slashing their ranges. Nothing seems to be bothering the top of the class and the ghastly new Civic, I think, was a missed opportunity to build on the promise of the previous generation. I just can't look beyond the grey trim!

Honda perhaps need to take a leaf (no pun intended) out of Nissan's book and start breaking a few boundaries. Or just do a new version of the old Accord advert!

11 January 2013

At the end of the day the their cars just aren't desireable or good value. The civic is ugly and doesn't compare well to the Golf, Focus astra etc.  Hardly ever see an Accord but then who'd have one compared to an Audi, BMW, mondeo etc

This year BMW, Ford, VW will be launching electric cars, what new electric cars will Honda have this year, they won't be big sellers but at least those companies are forward thinking.

Could Honda go the same way as the PSA group?

 

Hydrogen cars just went POP

11 January 2013

xxxx wrote:

This year BMW, Ford, VW will be launching electric cars, what new electric cars will Honda have this year, they won't be big sellers but at least those companies are forward thinking.

I've got to laugh (sorry) at the suggestion that Honda could save the 800 jobs by building electric cars!   If they can't sell relatively inexpensive IC cars just now then what chance do they have with toy cars?   It will be many years until electric cars are the norm.

When other manufacturers are similarly suffering from a sales decline, such as Ford, and others having to come up with ten year survival plance, Vauxhall & Opel, then it's hard to say that Honda have done anything particularly wrong.   They've been successful in UK motorsport with Gordon Sheddon and have updated their Civic too.

11 January 2013

Symanski wrote:

xxxx wrote:

This year BMW, Ford, VW will be launching electric cars, what new electric cars will Honda have this year, they won't be big sellers but at least those companies are forward thinking.

I've got to laugh (sorry) at the suggestion that Honda could save the 800 jobs by building electric cars!   If they can't sell relatively inexpensive IC cars just now then what chance do they have with toy cars?   It will be many years until electric cars are the norm.

When other manufacturers are similarly suffering from a sales decline, such as Ford, and others having to come up with ten year survival plance, Vauxhall & Opel, then it's hard to say that Honda have done anything particularly wrong.   They've been successful in UK motorsport with Gordon Sheddon and have updated their Civic too.

Never said the jobs would be safe if they build electric cars now I just said it's forward thinking.   I did say their cars at present aren't selling because they're not desirable, which they not. So please put your glasses on and re-read.

"Other manufacturers suffering sales decline like Ford", they just announced they taking on extra staff in America to fill demand, they're fill the top 2 places in the yearly smmt sales chart for th UK, I don't remember seeing any Honda's in that list. GM have a 10 year plan, so what all companies have 10 year plans.

So the Civic is doing well in the UK touring car series, didn't a Chevrolet Cruze (proves a point) win in 2010, it means next to nothing to car sales.

It's not so much they're doing nothing wrong it's the fact they're doing nothing right

 

Hydrogen cars just went POP

11 January 2013

I thought they did this 2 years ago?

(Another) Very sad day Sad

11 January 2013

Olilowe wrote:

I thought they did this 2 years ago?

(Another) Very sad day Sad

I think they did but like MINI it was just short term whilst they sold unsold stock. But as you say it is bad news for the workers involved

 

Hydrogen cars just went POP

11 January 2013

Like others have said Honda is not desirable, it appeals more to the grey pound than it used to. Jazz is frumpy, and although the new Civic is nice, it has some strong good points after a recent test drive of a 1.8 ES. Although I was left feeling slightly disappointed, the engine is still revy and smooth, but felt slightly weak compared to the newer blown engines from VAG and BMW.

The ride was only OK and found the dash a bit fussy. Boot space was excellent however, the Civic is not that desirable in the showroom and looks slightly awkward. In the end we went for a BMW 116i, on their current 4.9Apr deal and a 2K discount. The 1er was a suprise as boot the is bigger and interior space the same as our current MKII Leon FR.

The only other thing the Civic has going for it is some really keen lease deals and good finance offers, although residuals seemed more akin to Vauxhall and Ford than VW.

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

  • Lexus LC500
    Car review
    20 October 2017
    Futuristic Lexus LC coupé mixes the latest technology with an old-school atmospheric V8
  • Maserati Levante S GranSport
    First Drive
    20 October 2017
    Get ready to trade in your diesels: Maserati’s luxury SUV finally gets the engine it’s always needed
  • Jaguar XF Sportbrake TDV6
    First Drive
    19 October 2017
    The handsome Jaguar XF Sportbrake exhibits all the hallmarks that makes the saloon great, and with the silky smooth diesel V6 makes it a compelling choice
  • Volkswagen T-Roc TDI
    First Drive
    19 October 2017
    Volkswagen's new compact crossover has the looks, the engineering and the build quality to be a resounding success, but not with this diesel engine
  • BMW M550i
    First Drive
    19 October 2017
    The all-paw M550i is a fast, effortless mile-muncher, but there's a reason why it won't be sold in the UK