Petrochemicals giant invites customers for early view of its ‘evolved Land Rover’
Matt Saunders Autocar
19 September 2017

A British-designed unofficial successor of the original Land Rover off-roader is a step closer with the launch of a digital campaign to build interest and invite would-be owners to engage with it.

The car, created and backed by industrial chemical conglomerate Ineos, goes by the codename Ineos Grenadier’ and gets its own website (www.projektgrenadier.com) and social media presence as of today (19 September).

Insight: Ineos Grenadier - why a chemical firm is creating a 'serious' off-roader

Ineos founded its automotive business in 2015, shortly after Ineos chairman and principal shareholder Jim Ratcliffe identified the need for a car to pick up where the now-discontinued Land Rover Defender left off: in the company’s words, “a world-class, uncompromising 4x4”. Over the past two years, Ineos has been assembling a small team of designers, engineers and business experts to run the embryonic outfit. It plans to announce the location of the car’s UK production base early in 2018 before revealing its first designs to the public later that year, with preliminary production starting in 2019 and deliveries in 2020.

In the meantime – and in a departure from the ‘behind closed doors’ development philosophy of most automotive products – interested parties are being encouraged to participate at an early stage. The projektgrenadier.com website will publish regular updates on the car’s development and insights on the team behind the car and the processes they’re engaged with, while social media channels will encourage the public to share their views. “We are extremely keen to hear the opinions and recommendations of the off-roading public about how we can make this the best 4x4 possible,” said Ineos Automotive CEO Dirk Heilmann.

The website will also be used for recruitment as the project gathers pace and the Ineos Automotive team expands. It will also host a competition for the public to determine the car's name.

Related stories: 

Land Rover Defender review 

Land Rover Discovery SVX revealed 

Land Rover Discovery review 

Join the debate

Comments
27

19 September 2017

Intellectual Property Rights?

Might JLR have something to say on this topic? Unless Ineos are going to redesign every part?

 

Robbo

Aussie Rob - a view from down under

19 September 2017

If there were any intellectual property rights, then JLR owe Jeep some money!  Land Rover simply lifted the idea straight from Jeep after the second world war.  Interestingly, the Land Rover version originally had its steering wheel in the middle.

If Ineos are smart, and they are, they will use off-the-shelf parts wherever possible.  No point in making seats, lights, etc. from scratch.  I hope it will be 'deep-in-Africa' repairable, without going for electronics, have a chassis that can be replaced, and can be hosed out.  But far more important is to make it economic to purchase.  The last Defenders (at £30k +) was just bizarre.

19 September 2017
Of course it will need electronics so it can meet global emissions and safety equipment regs. As for deep Africa repairable, not sure about you but last time I was in remote Africa there was a smartphone repair shop in every tiny town....

 

 

 

19 September 2017
Bazzer wrote:

If there were any intellectual property rights, then JLR owe Jeep some money!  Land Rover simply lifted the idea straight from Jeep after the second world war.  Interestingly, the Land Rover version originally had its steering wheel in the middle.

If Ineos are smart, and they are, they will use off-the-shelf parts wherever possible.  No point in making seats, lights, etc. from scratch.  I hope it will be 'deep-in-Africa' repairable, without going for electronics, have a chassis that can be replaced, and can be hosed out.  But far more important is to make it economic to purchase.  The last Defenders (at £30k +) was just bizarre.

Do what Toyota and Nissan do...design in 'deep in africa' reliability.....love the fact that as it will be a ehem...landrover it's bound to break down!

MrJ

19 September 2017

Reliability is one of his core principles for the vehicle. I'll be in the queue if it looks good, too.

19 September 2017

of a man describing himself as a visionary, let alone the visionary, on his own website.

19 September 2017
Are just two failed attempts to make a Defender, by folks who used to make the Defender under license and on behalf of LR, and who went under.
The world has moved on, and it will be difficult to find a niche not served by Jimny, Wrangler, LandCruiser, Shogun, L200 or any similarly tough offroader.

19 September 2017
giulivo wrote:

Are just two failed attempts to make a Defender, by folks who used to make the Defender under license and on behalf of LR, and who went under. The world has moved on, and it will be difficult to find a niche not served by Jimny, Wrangler, LandCruiser, Shogun, L200 or any similarly tough offroader.

The problem is that the Wrangler, LandCruiser, Shogun and L200 have all moved upmarket - damage one of their heavily styled bumpers and it's a huge repair. They aren't exactly basic off roaders anymore. And the Jimny is being replaced by a styled fashion item that looks like a little baby Hummer, not something for towing cattle trailers.

19 September 2017
WallMeerkat wrote:

giulivo wrote:

Are just two failed attempts to make a Defender, by folks who used to make the Defender under license and on behalf of LR, and who went under. The world has moved on, and it will be difficult to find a niche not served by Jimny, Wrangler, LandCruiser, Shogun, L200 or any similarly tough offroader.

The problem is that the Wrangler, LandCruiser, Shogun and L200 have all moved upmarket - damage one of their heavily styled bumpers and it's a huge repair. They aren't exactly basic off roaders anymore. And the Jimny is being replaced by a styled fashion item that looks like a little baby Hummer, not something for towing cattle trailers.

Try searching Nissan patrol y61 or landcruiser 79 series. Both vehicles not sold in the uk as they are designed for the developing remote regions of the world. Not the private school run like current landrover products. They have not moved upmarket at all if you do your research. 1 ton Japanese pickups are huge now too.

20 September 2017
Sorry to rupture your price bubble, but the Jeep Wrangler is priced from $28,000-55,000 depending on the trim level.

This new gen Defenders base price will be will be under $65,000 For the entry model, hardly a bargain when compared to the Wrangler, Land Cruiser 70, and Shogun.

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

  • Lexus LC500
    Car review
    20 October 2017
    Futuristic Lexus LC coupé mixes the latest technology with an old-school atmospheric V8
  • Maserati Levante S GranSport
    First Drive
    20 October 2017
    Get ready to trade in your diesels: Maserati’s luxury SUV finally gets the engine it’s always needed
  • Jaguar XF Sportbrake TDV6
    First Drive
    19 October 2017
    The handsome Jaguar XF Sportbrake exhibits all the hallmarks that makes the saloon great, and with the silky smooth diesel V6 makes it a compelling choice
  • Volkswagen T-Roc TDI
    First Drive
    19 October 2017
    Volkswagen's new compact crossover has the looks, the engineering and the build quality to be a resounding success, but not with this diesel engine
  • BMW M550i
    First Drive
    19 October 2017
    The all-paw M550i is a fast, effortless mile-muncher, but there's a reason why it won't be sold in the UK