Kia's latest crossover is due to arrive in the UK next year in electric-only form, promising a greater emphasis on technology
21 November 2018

Kia has released a number of preview images of the new Soul crossover ahead of the car's full LA motor show unveiling next week.

The images of the new Soul show a number of styling details, such as the car's rear end shape and overall side-on profile. One image also shows part of the car's dashboard, demonstrating a larger infotainment screen with additional features. 

UPDATE: The third-gen Kia Soul has been revealed at the 2018 LA motor show. Read the full details

Kia claims the Soul will bring "something for everyone, offering more technology, a range of advanced driver assistance systems, and increased cargo room". There will also be a more rugged X-Line variant alongside existing trim levels, although it's not clear yet if the UK will benefit from this option. 

The third-generation Soul is due to arrive in the UK in EV-only form in the second half of 2019, with a US market launch earlier in the year. While the American market will receive a couple of four-cylinder petrol engine options, only an electric model is deemed necessary for the UK, because the similarly sized Stonic will be the conventional volume seller.

Our Verdict

Kia Soul

Kia adds refinement and maturity to its funky crossover without leaching out the charm. Still flawed dynamically

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

The new Soul EV's powertrain will be borrowed from the recently launched Kia e-Niro. However, a Kia source tells us the Soul will be offered with the smaller 39kWh battery, rather than the 64kWh version sold in the UK-spec e-Niro. 

That will mean a range of around 200 miles, as opposed to the 300 miles of its larger sibling, but this should give it a price significantly lower than the expected £30,000 of the e-Niro. It should make the same 134bhp as that car, however.

The third-generation Soul’s evolutionary styling is shown in the latest spy images, revealing the characteristically boxy profile remains largely untouched. Sources at Kia claim the interior will take a major leap forward, however, with new technology helping it appeal to its younger customer base. 

More details of the new Soul will be revealed at the car’s official unveiling in Los Angeles during the last week of November.

Read more:

Kia e-Niro 2019 review

Kia to add plug-in hybrid Ceed and Sportage for 2019

Join the debate

Comments
8

14 November 2018

It's usual customer base is in for a shock when they put their foot down

FMS

14 November 2018
xxxx wrote:

It's usual customer base is in for a shock when they put their foot down

 

It is as well for you that you live in a democratic society, else stupidity would have seen you off, many moons ago. TwIT, the w is silent, as you should be.

14 November 2018
FMS wrote:

xxxx wrote:

It's usual customer base is in for a shock when they put their foot down

 

It is as well for you that you live in a democratic society, else stupidity would have seen you off, many moons ago. TwIT, the w is silent, as you should be.

 

Jesus christ you're a bore.

21 November 2018
jason_recliner wrote:

FMS wrote:

xxxx wrote:

It's usual customer base is in for a shock when they put their foot down

 

It is as well for you that you live in a democratic society, else stupidity would have seen you off, many moons ago. TwIT, the w is silent, as you should be.

 

Jesus christ you're a bore.

Jesus has nothing to do with it. He's a TWAT. The W isn't silent.

21 November 2018
No, no.

The TwIT joke is far too funny to be put to rest just yet.

But I don't think we need to worry about that happening.

22 November 2018

I don't know why SO many people are focused on posting a comment about another person's comment.  As I state below, just say your bit then move on.  Don't come back (as I never do) to read whatever people have sadly put about your comment rather than the actual issue of the article!  This 'problem' infects so many otherwise-good forums.  What is it about people that they ignore the point of the article they have just read and want to make a comment about a comment?  FFS!  It's ok to do it now and again when you want to impart what knowledge you may have on a subject, or even to thank someone, but I know there are people here who just want to argue.  I have far too many people to educate by stating what I know to read pathetic replies to what I've written (in other words: I don't care what you say...).

21 November 2018

This will be the third generation Soul in only 9 years. Kia (and indeed Huyndai) certainly give many of their models short lifecycles. 

22 November 2018

Hope it doesn't look as squat as the current one.  They should lift it a bit, to give it a more 4x4 look.  The original concept design was the best.

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week