Two new models and growing popularity of self-charging hybrid powertrains expected to increase volume
Steve Cropley Autocar
8 October 2018

Lexus aims to maintain or “gently build” its UK sales, despite the difficulties posed by the recent, pre-Brexit devaluation of the pound, by launching first a new ES saloon and then the compact UX crossover.

The new front-drive ES, the seventh generation of one of Lexus’s earliest models, has never previously been sold in Western Europe, but is likely to take the place of the long-in-tooth GS

The UX, described by Lexus’s European boss Pascal Ruch as the most important car in Lexus’s European history, is an all-new rival for the BMW i3.

Despite claims that they will “never push volume”, in Europe, Lexus volume has expanded by 70% in the past four years, and is on course to top 100,000 units by 2020. UK volume currently runs at about 15,000 units.

Ruch believes the future for Lexus’s current range of “self charging hybrids” is bright for the next five to 10 years, especially since around 97% of its cars have this kind of Powertrain. “We think this is the best way of delivering very low CO2 and high efficiency, rather than having a lot of conventional cars and a few electric cars, like others.”

The arrival of the ES and UX will begin a cycle during which 70% of the UK line-up will be renewed by the end of 2019.

Read more

Lexus UX crossover priced from £29,900 in the UK

Lexus chases 100,000 annual sales after design evolution

Lexus ES revealed as driver-focused £35,150 GS replacement

Our Verdict

Lexus ES 2019 road test review hero front

The ES could do more at the rational end of the executive segment than the GS managed at the sportier end – assuming Lexus makes the pricing sweet enough

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

Join the debate

Comments
7

8 October 2018

Not with that snout they’re not!

8 October 2018

97% are Hybirds, must be time to dump pure ICE Lexus's then they'd have the bragging rights.

typos1 - Just can’t respect opinion

8 October 2018
xxxx wrote:

97% are Hybirds, must be time to dump pure ICE Lexus's then they'd have the bragging rights.

Yes, they are V8s!

8 October 2018
The UX is in no way a rival to the i3. The i3 is an EV, with the option of a petrol range extending engine to charge the batteries. The UX is a petrol car with a electric motor to maximise the efficiency of the petrol engine. Fundamentally different concepts. A motoring journalist should understand this despite what the press release and misleading 'self charging hybrid' marketing suggests.

8 October 2018
Bob Cat Brian wrote:

The UX is in no way a rival to the i3. The i3 is an EV, with the option of a petrol range extending engine to charge the batteries. The UX is a petrol car with a electric motor to maximise the efficiency of the petrol engine. Fundamentally different concepts. A motoring journalist should understand this despite what the press release and misleading 'self charging hybrid' marketing suggests.

BMW will soon drop the i3 range extender: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/bmw-cease-production-i3-range-extender

Citroëniste.

8 October 2018

I'm not sure why Lexus chose to replace the rear-drive GS with the front-drive ES, as they claim the ES offers greater driving pleasure....From my understanding the ES is just a spruced up Camry and probably costs less to build too.

"Why is http://www.nanoflowcell.com not getting more media attention? It could be the future... Now!"

FMS

11 October 2018
Marv wrote:

I'm not sure why Lexus chose to replace the rear-drive GS with the front-drive ES, as they claim the ES offers greater driving pleasure....From my understanding the ES is just a spruced up Camry and probably costs less to build too.

 

...in the similar way that an A4 is a "spruced up" Passat?. Why shouldn't car buyers have as big a choice as can be made available to them, to spend their hard earned money/car allowance?.

 

If you're "not sure why...", look it up and ease your troubled mind.

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week