BMW has revealed its new three-cylinder petrol engine, destined for the 1-series, 3-series and next year's new Mini
13 September 2012

This is the all-new, BMW 1.5-litre, three-cylinder turbocharged engine. It will find its way under the bonnet of next year’s new Mini, the new front-drive BMW family and, it’s rumoured, today’s rear-drive 1-series and 3-series models. 

Codenamed B38 (petrol) and B37 (diesel), it will come in petrol and diesel forms and is expected to be between five and 15 per cent more economical than BMW’s current N20 four-cylinder engines. 

Built on an alloy block, the engine gets Valvetronic variable valve timing, a single turbo, 11.0:1 compression ratio and a longer stroke than the N20. It has been engineered as part of BMW future modular engine strategy, which sees all engines based on the same individual 500cc cylinder. 

BMW says the petrol engine will develop between 40bhp and 66bhp per cylinder, giving the various versions power outputs of between 120bhp and 200bhp. The torque outputs are expected to be between 44lbft and 66lb ft giving a range of 132lb ft and 198lb ft. 

The B37 diesel engine shares up to 60 per cent of its architecture with the petrol engine and can be made on the same production line. The diesel engine output will range between 100bhp and 181bhp and 166lb ft and 221lb ft of torque. 

The engine is likely to first appear in the rear of the BMW i8 hybrid supercar, where it will be equipped with a generator to help recharge the battery pack. BMW's Hams Hall plant is expected to produce the new engine.

BMW is also preparing the B48, the four-cylinder sister engine of the B38. It is expected to power models including the next-generation Mini Cooper S, to be shown in late 2013. The engine is expected to produce in excess of 220bhp.

Greg Kable/Hilton Holloway

Our Verdict

BMW 1 Series

A final facelift for the rear-wheel drive BMW 1 Series, as it aims to take class honours from the formidable Audi A3 and the Mercedes-Benz A-Class

Join the debate

Comments
12

13 September 2012

I wonder how long it will take some bright spark at BMW to think of joining 2 togther and make an interesting engine?

13 September 2012

artill wrote:

I wonder how long it will take some bright spark at BMW to think of joining 2 togther and make an interesting engine?

What - BMW make a V shaped petrol engine? surely that's heresy!

13 September 2012

Orangewheels wrote:

artill wrote:

I wonder how long it will take some bright spark at BMW to think of joining 2 togther and make an interesting engine?

What - BMW make a V shaped petrol engine? surely that's heresy!

There is more than one way to join blocks, they could do it lengthways!

Anyway, as for a V shaped petrol engine, i dont recall BMW making many straight eights, let alone straight twelves. 

14 September 2012

artill wrote:

Orangewheels wrote:

artill wrote:

I wonder how long it will take some bright spark at BMW to think of joining 2 togther and make an interesting engine?

What - BMW make a V shaped petrol engine? surely that's heresy!

There is more than one way to join blocks, they could do it lengthways!

Anyway, as for a V shaped petrol engine, i dont recall BMW making many straight eights, let alone straight twelves. 

They could reinvent the wheel and make a V3.  Put the additional cylinder on top of the two opposing cylinders and think of some new technology with a baffling name (balanceous maybe) to balance the whole engine out. 

 

14 September 2012

Orangewheels wrote:

What - BMW make a V shaped petrol engine? surely that's heresy!

V12 used in McLaren F1

V12 used in various 7 Series and the 850

V10 - M5

V8 - Various 5 and 7 series and current M3

 

13 September 2012

The last time BMW built a 1.5litre turbo engine it had 1400BHP. 200BHP? pah Wink

13 September 2012

If this tops at 200 hp, what will power the next gen JCW cars?

 

 

13 September 2012

tuga wrote:

If this tops at 200 hp, what will power the next gen JCW cars?

Well, considering the article ends with saying that the 4 cylinder version (B38) of this engine will be in the Cooper S, I guess that will Smile

13 September 2012

superstevie wrote:

tuga wrote:

If this tops at 200 hp, what will power the next gen JCW cars?

Well, considering the article ends with saying that the 4 cylinder version (B38) of this engine will be in the Cooper S, I guess that will Smile

Prety sure that paragraph wasn't there when i posted, but whatever. I'd expect it to have much more than 220hp, seeing as their current 2.0L is already available with 245.

Thanks anyway superstevie.

 

 

13 September 2012

Ahh you know what Autocar are like for updating! I;ve just read what I wrote, sorry for sounding ar$y

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

  • Jaguar F-Type Convertible 2.0 i4 on the road
    First Drive
    16 August 2017
    Having been previously impressed by the agile four-cylinder F-Type, now is our chance to try it in the UK and in open-top form. But can this entry-level Jaguar sports car hold off the impressive Porsche Boxster?
  • Aston Martin V8 Vantage AMR
    The Aston Martin V8 Vantage AMR is a swansong for the Vantage - but the first model to sport the AMR title
    First Drive
    16 August 2017
    Aston Martin's swansong for its venerable Vantage sports car allows it to bow out with its head held high, yet the performance AMR sub-brand's first outing leaves you feeling short-changed
  • Range Rover Velar 2.0D
    First Drive
    15 August 2017
    Can the newest Range Rover deliver the goods when it's being powered by a four-cylinder, 2.0L diesel engine? We tried it on UK roads to find out
  • Audi RS3 Sportback
    First Drive
    15 August 2017
    Audi Sport's firebrand hatchback gets an even more brilliant engine, but still falls short of the dynamic finesse and driver involvement necessary to make it a true performance great
  • Sin R1 550
    First Drive
    15 August 2017
    Bulgaria’s first supercar is aggressive and unapologetic. It can be tricky at the limit, but it’s as engaging as they come