Electric city car will now offer 161 miles of range from batteries, with prices starting around £23,000
James Attwood, digital editor
5 September 2019

Volkswagen has launched a new version of its e-Up electric city car, with an increased range of 161 miles and a reduced base price, at the Frankfurt motor show.

The new model switches the 18.7kWh lithium ion batteries from the current model, with a range of around 118 miles, for 32.3kWh batteries. VW says they will be capable of charging at 40kW, taking 60 minutes to charge the battery to 80 per cent.

Power will come from a 82bhp electric motor, which allows the e-Up to achieve a 0-62mph time of 11.9 secs and a top speed of 81mph. 

The firm says that the e-Up will feature an air conditioning system, a ‘composition phone’ radio with a Bluetooth connection interface, and lane-keeping assistance. The firm also says it will offer a range of personalisation options.

Volkswagen says that the new e-Up will be cheaper than its predecessor, with a price of 21,975 euros in Germany. UK pricing is not confirmed, but is expected to be around £23,000 before government grants. The e-Up is due to go on sale in the UK in early 2020. The outgoing model is priced at £24,625.

The revamped e-Up is part of a major electric car push for Volkswagen at Frankfurt, with the firm also unveiling its new ID 3. The company will also unveil a major brand revamp.

Read more

Volkswagen e-Up 2019 review

Volkswagen to reveal new logo at Frankfurt show

Volkswagen ID 3 2019 review

 

Our Verdict

Volkswagen e-Up

The Volkswagen e-Up is a typically polished (if slightly uninspiring) effort, and kick-starts competition in the small electric car category

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

Join the debate

Comments
11

5 September 2019

The Honda BEV maybe better looking with more display screens and a camera instead of mirrors but after grants this UP may be a massive £6,500k less, and it goes further per charge!

typos1 - Just can’t respect opinion

5 September 2019
xxxx wrote:

The Honda BEV maybe better looking with more display screens and a camera instead of mirrors but after grants this UP may be a massive £6,500k less, and it goes further per charge!

Good point. However I think the Honda will sell due to the emotion side rather than the specs, it will be more like a toy / luxury gift to the owner.

You can't really say that about the UP!    And as I say, if you just want to go for a value proposition then the ICE equivalents tend still to be cheaper.

I know they have to put batteries in the UP! BEV and electric motors, but they also save on no engine or gearbox, clutch etc, so I am not sure why the ICE is £11.5k and the BEV £21k or so, even AFTER the gov subsidy.   

 

5 September 2019

The UP! is a great little car IMO - hired one once and warmed to it immediately.  It was basic (no air con or electric windows) but it felt well made (no rattles) and rode like a car two classes up.  The old cliche "all the car you really need" came to mind.  I like the idea of an all electric version with a decent range.  Is VW going to stop making the petrol engined version as Skoda and Seat are threatening to do with their versions?

5 September 2019

It's about £8k more at least and that buys a lot of road duty and petrol.....  about 80 000 miles of petrol at current prices and it's mpg. That ignores electricty charging costs.

 

 

 

 

5 September 2019
Cenuijmu wrote:

It's about £8k more at least and that buys a lot of road duty and petrol.....  about 80 000 miles of petrol at current prices and it's mpg. That ignores electricty charging costs.

Also ignores congestion charge (£12 a day?) which is where this car could just make economic sense and it's a fair bit quicker accelerating with no gears (I don't think you can get an Auto Up).

Oh and some city car drivers  don't wish to pump out fumes next to pavements.  

typos1 - Just can’t respect opinion

5 September 2019
xxxx wrote:

Cenuijmu wrote:

It's about £8k more at least and that buys a lot of road duty and petrol.....  about 80 000 miles of petrol at current prices and it's mpg. That ignores electricty charging costs.

Also ignores congestion charge (£12 a day?) which is where this car could just make economic sense and it's a fair bit quicker accelerating with no gears (I don't think you can get an Auto Up).

Oh and some city car drivers  don't wish to pump out fumes next to pavements.  

With London traffic I'd take the tube anyhow !   Which is really cheap EV  :)

cdp

5 September 2019

London has an excellent public transport system but soon other cities who don't will start "making polluters pay" in which case it makes an awful lot of sense. 

 

I've always liked the UP. I prefer the styling to the production version of that new little Honda - which is OK but lacks the wow of the concept.

5 September 2019

a car named in honour of Nora Batty.

5 September 2019

An "E-Up", huh?

Sounds like something from Yorkshire.  Or Lancashire for that matter...

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week