Currently reading: Bosch says it could launch an autonomous car tomorrow
Technology and hardware is here, says tech giant, citing non-technical factors such as inconsistent regulations as the major obstacles
News
2 mins read
6 February 2020

Bosch blames the delayed roll-out of autonomous vehicles on a jungle of red tape and a wave of consumer scepticism rather than the limitations of the systems.

The German supplier’s senior vice-president of automated driving, Kay Stepper, told Autocar that its engineers have already cleared the technological hurdles.

“We need to differentiate between technical and non-technical problems,” he explained at CES. “At the moment we can honestly say from the technological, hardware and software sides that we have what we need to roll out [autonomous technology] tomorrow. It’s here. Yes, we have much more testing and validation to do and more refinement to do, but we’re there.”

Despite this, no self-driving cars are available commercially in 2020.

“The major obstacles are the non-technical ones, like the regulatory framework in different regions,” said Stepper. “It’s very different in Europe than in China or the US, and that will very much impact the timing of the roll-out.” Stepper added that American lawmakers cast the technology in a more favourable light than others.

Consumer acceptance is another hurdle that Bosch, its partners and its rivals need to collectively clear.

“I’m excited about autonomous driving, and many of our customers are, but not everyone is,” Stepper pointed out. “There’s a good level of animosity in parts of the population. Some have a hard time accepting this as an everyday reality.”

Stepper believes self-driving vehicles will hit the road by 2025 but they won’t be ubiquitous. He identified ride-hailing services and commercial haulage as the likeliest areas of application.

It will take more time for a firm to sell the public a car without a steering wheel or pedals. The industry will get there, Stepper believes, but he stressed that Bosch’s goal isn’t to make driving illegal.

READ MORE

New Bosch Virtual Visor makes the sun visor safer and cooler 

Bosch unveils first production-ready long-range lidar 

Bosch reveals self-driving shuttle concept ahead of CES debut

Advertisement
Advertisement

Find an Autocar review

Join the debate

Comments
12

6 February 2020

This is the same company that said that Elon Musk automonous driving was nonsense just over a year ago and that there was no way Musk had the technology to solve all the problems involved.

Tesla now has over 2 billion miles of collected real road data: the most by a significant margin  as well as the latest chip archietecture whereas Bosch only has a fraction of that Data. So I find it a little difficult to believe  that apart from regulation holding them back they would now have what they claim.

Anyway, I guess we will see within the next year or so who is right

6 February 2020
lambo58 wrote:

This is the same company that said that Elon Musk automonous driving was nonsense just over a year ago and that there was no way Musk had the technology to solve all the problems involved.

Tesla now has over 2 billion miles of collected real road data: the most by a significant margin  as well as the latest chip archietecture whereas Bosch only has a fraction of that Data. So I find it a little difficult to believe  that apart from regulation holding them back they would now have what they claim.

Anyway, I guess we will see within the next year or so who is right

This from the same company that created the illegal diesel emissions cheating software for VW...

Why would anyone trust a word they say?

No doubt they have the tech, it's been more or less there for a couple of decades. Flawless AVs however? - They haven't proven it, and therefore to state they are "there" is a misnomer.

6 February 2020

..only for it to crash on Saturday

6 February 2020
Lol!

6 February 2020

So, we could should be autonomous right now, yes we could, but only all the non autonomous cars were of  the roads the next day, how could we cope with both modes of transport?, aren't there going to be teething troubles like crashes, pedestrians getting run down,ok, if you treat an autonomous car as just another car, you EV still got to predict what it'll do, yes we will have to accept that this is how we will travel in the future,but saying it's ready to go now it may be, but it's going to be a hard sell to us, the people who will have to buy not want buy an expensive car,and as EV becomes the norm the Government is going to to find ways of recovering all the Tax we paid for our ICE Cars.

6 February 2020

Autonomous vehicles could bring fully-fledged mobility to countless people who, for a variety of reasons, cannot drive and who can't rely on public transport or taxi services.

Particularly but certainly not limited to rural areas, AVs would do a lot to improve the quality of life for very many people. 

IAnd given the appalling driving we see all the time, and the numbers of accidents that happen every day, I expect the roads would actually become safer, as well as almost certainly more energy-efficient.

So despite the negatives and the potential problems that are easy enough to predict (and everything is a trade-off of one sort or another) I hope people start to think more about the benefits than the disadvantages, and find solutions that can satisfy the majority of people who are nervous about such a big change to the way we move around.

7 February 2020
Pierre wrote:

Autonomous vehicles could bring fully-fledged mobility to countless people who, for a variety of reasons, cannot drive and who can't rely on public transport or taxi services.

Particularly but certainly not limited to rural areas, AVs would do a lot to improve the quality of life for very many people. 

IAnd given the appalling driving we see all the time, and the numbers of accidents that happen every day, I expect the roads would actually become safer, as well as almost certainly more energy-efficient.

So despite the negatives and the potential problems that are easy enough to predict (and everything is a trade-off of one sort or another) I hope people start to think more about the benefits than the disadvantages, and find solutions that can satisfy the majority of people who are nervous about such a big change to the way we move around.

So the mobility service will provide a robot that walks to your door?

6 February 2020
That would be a complete waste of time.

6 February 2020

Bosch pays 90-million-euro fine over diesel scandal.The penalty may be significantly less than the ones handed out to Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche, but auto parts supplier Bosch has become the latest big-name casualty of the Dieselgate scandal. 

6 February 2020
405line wrote:

Bosch pays 90-million-euro fine over diesel scandal.The penalty may be significantly less than the ones handed out to Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche, but auto parts supplier Bosch has become the latest big-name casualty of the Dieselgate scandal. 

Brussels have got to find some post Brexit revenue from somewhere.

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review