What will the election outcome mean for British roads? We outline some of the different parties' major car-related pledges
James Attwood, digital editor
12 December 2019

The UK will stage its third general election in four years today (Thursday, 12 December) – and the results could have a major impact on motorists and the car industry.

Brexit is a key issue in the election and Britain’s ongoing relationship with the European Union could greatly affect the motor industry in this country. And the leading parties have all unveiled other policies that are significant to car owners, including pledges to phase out the sales of combustion-engined cars and to cut carbon emissions.

These are the main car-related policies in the manifestos of the three main parties that have candidates standing across the UK.

Conservative Party

 Leave the EU by 31 January and keep the UK out of the EU single market and customs union. Negotiate a new EU trade deal but the implementation period won’t extend beyond December 2020.

 £38.8 billion investment in ‘strategic and local roads’.

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

 £1bn investment in a fast-charging network, with the aim for everyone to be within 30 miles of a rapid charging station.

 Reach net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.

 Consult to determine the earliest date for phasing out the sale of new petrol and diesel cars.

 Launch the biggest pothole filling programme yet.

Labour Party

 Secure a new Brexit agreement within six months, including ‘close alignment with the EU single market and UK-wide customs union’. It will then be voted on in a referendum.

 Invest in three automotive gigafactories and four metal reprocessing plants. Promote the development and manufacture of ultra-low-emission vehicles.

 Invest in electric vehicle charging infrastructure and in electric community car clubs.

 Target to cut deaths and serious injuries on UK roads to zero. Investment to make local roads ‘safer for everyday journeys’ and review all tolled crossings.

 Put the UK ‘on track’ for a net zero carbon energy system ‘within the 2030s’.

 Aim by 2030 to end sales of new combustion-engine vehicles.

 Establish a £400bn ‘national transformation fund’, with £250bn focused on renewable and low-carbon energy and transport.

 New Clean Air Act to include vehicle scrappage scheme.

Liberal Democrats

 Revoke article 50 and remain in the EU.

 Develop a national skills strategy and innovation centres to develop zero-carbon technologies, including batteries and hydrogen fuel cells.

 Cut VAT on EVs to 5%. Increase the rate of installation of on-street and ultra-fast EV charging points.

 Establish ultra-low-emission zones in 10 more towns and cities in England.

 Reduce the number of single-occupancy cars used for commuting. Push the development of car-sharing schemes and autonomous vehicles.

 Set a legally binding target to reach net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2045.

 Ensure all new cars are electric by 2030.

 Green Investment Bank to increase funding in zero-carbon and environmental objectives.

READ MORE

How car firms will alter their prices post-Brexit

UK car production falls 4% in October as Brexit doubt takes toll

Nissan 'to review future' of Sunderland plant in case of no-deal Brexit

Join the debate

Comments
27

5 December 2019

Conservatives AAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL day.

scrap labour and lib dems

5 December 2019
HazwoldV8 wrote:

Conservatives AAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL day.

scrap labour and lib dems

No, no - Lib Dems ALL DAY

their budget is the ONLY properly costed one according to the Institute of Fiscal Studies.

Scrap the lying Tories and loony left Labour.

cdp

5 December 2019

The Brexit Party and Greens are hardly insignificant these days. Surely their policies ourght to be in here too?

 

While we're at it, what about the Monster Raving Looney Party? Space Hoppers all round perhaps?

5 December 2019

 They all say what they will try to do, but, as we all know, each party will object to each other policy,so as usual nothing gets done.

5 December 2019
Peter Cavellini wrote:

 They all say what they will try to do, but, as we all know, each party will object to each other policy,so as usual nothing gets done.

Whats your solution then, a dictator ?

6 December 2019
typos1 wrote:

Peter Cavellini wrote:

 They all say what they will try to do, but, as we all know, each party will object to each other policy,so as usual nothing gets done.

Whats your solution then, a dictator ?

There's no solution, and no party since I was old enough to vote that has had a period in government that has made living in this country stable, and how could they?, there are so many variables that affect how we live that there's bound to be times of stress for us all, you and I and others who post here know that, apathy is what pervades nowadays, twelve years ago savers could get eight percent interest, now?, you be lucky to get one!, there promises about future transport are all in there way laudable, but, will they, can they be done?, I don't know if they will be be because they main parties just can't agree, I'm at the far end of my life and I'm more concerned for my children, their future, instead of parties trying to besmurge party leaders and digging up the dirt on others they need to focus on getting this country off its knees.

5 December 2019

The conservatives have about the only initiative in there of actually starting to address transport CO2 - money to improve small roads!

All vehicle emissions are at their worst in low speed stopping and starting conditions (hence why all manufacturers first introduced stop-start as a feature...)

Reducing congestion by improving inner city road networks is absolutely the most important initiative for reducing out CO2 footprint.

Building BEVs in the near term is actually increasing out CO2 footprint, as the things are so energy intensive in their production (massively more so than ICE vehicles).

2030 for carbon neutral is simply pie-in-the-sky thinking. As demonstrated by the step UP in CO2 in the last year, despite record low levels of coal use - the current strategies being used to reduce CO2 simply aren't having the effect they need to.

We need to use solutions that WORK right now, not ones that work in a while once we've invested enough - which is the case with driving everyone to buy Battery Electric Vehicles.

5 December 2019

You did not mention that labour have pledged to take £1.5 billion per year out of roads just to make rail fairs 33% cheaper, hardly democratic when most people do not have the option of using the rail network.

Surely when road transport is being transformed into an emission free transport  system through BEV and hydrogen (yes people we need both!) more money should be being spent on the road network and not less!

5 December 2019

As someone who drives a lot for work, and no, I can't use technology like video conferencing as a computer monitor can't hold a multimeter at the other end.. I have the most to fear from Labour.

As it is, people like me who have to do what I do, are treated no differently to those that get a car as a perk and could easily run their own car, its just another benefit. 

But if you add in the lefts politics of envy, they will see a company car only as a symbol of the 'wealthy' as they still push the mill master versus the poor working urchin narative (ha! have you seen how much train drivers earn?). Its already happened even under the tories, rapidly increasing tax burdens under the smokescreen of 'environmental policy' but Labour will take it to a new level to fund some small part of its trillions of expendidture.Fine if the car is a perk, hand it back and buy your own, but I can't, I really need it!I strongly suspect the rises in various taxes on company cars would considerably reverse any wage growth I may be lucky enough to get. I would get poorer year on year to fund council houses gallore for the feckless career breeders. I would rather give it up and join them!

I have gone as clean as the current car market can provide to minimise the tax on just doing my job but still it rises yearly and I have nowhere left to go to counteract it, not until 400 mile range EV's are available for under £40K, that is not going to be any time soon. Public transport? how many calls would I fit in a day transversing across the country with 30kg of gear in tow! lucky to achieve even 1 and at what cost!, my job would become uneconomic.The problem for all parties but especially Labour is its entirely career politicians, they have zero experience of how the real world works or what normal people do.

5 December 2019
The Apprentice wrote:

As someone who drives a lot for work, and no, I can't use technology like video conferencing as a computer monitor can't hold a multimeter at the other end.. I have the most to fear from Labour.

As it is, people like me who have to do what I do, are treated no differently to those that get a car as a perk and could easily run their own car, its just another benefit. 

But if you add in the lefts politics of envy, they will see a company car only as a symbol of the 'wealthy' as they still push the mill master versus the poor working urchin narative (ha! have you seen how much train drivers earn?). Its already happened even under the tories, rapidly increasing tax burdens under the smokescreen of 'environmental policy' but Labour will take it to a new level to fund some small part of its trillions of expendidture.Fine if the car is a perk, hand it back and buy your own, but I can't, I really need it!I strongly suspect the rises in various taxes on company cars would considerably reverse any wage growth I may be lucky enough to get. I would get poorer year on year to fund council houses gallore for the feckless career breeders. I would rather give it up and join them!

I have gone as clean as the current car market can provide to minimise the tax on just doing my job but still it rises yearly and I have nowhere left to go to counteract it, not until 400 mile range EV's are available for under £40K, that is not going to be any time soon. Public transport? how many calls would I fit in a day transversing across the country with 30kg of gear in tow! lucky to achieve even 1 and at what cost!, my job would become uneconomic.The problem for all parties but especially Labour is its entirely career politicians, they have zero experience of how the real world works or what normal people do.

Excellent points! - But have you seen how much Union leaders earn? ... the true "mill masters".

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week