Currently reading: Volkswagen boss: 180-mile range is tipping point for EV boom
VW predicts that electric models will soon make up the largest portion of its sales figures, but diesel to remain the choice for long-distance drivers

The "tipping point" for sales of Volkswagen’s new range of electric vehicles (EVs) to become popular family cars will be a range of 180 to 280 miles, according to VW global sales and marketing boss Jürgen Stackmann.

Volkswagen ID concept revealed ahead of Paris motor show 

Speaking at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, Stackmann told Autocar that electric car range anxiety is going to 'go away', while affordability will improve, putting EVs in a position to challenge petrols and diesels as everyday family cars. 

He also revealed that a battery capacity of 60kWh would be needed to achieve VW's range target.

“We will have to make this change, because all regulations are aiming at zero emissions eventually," he said.

VW plans radical new electric vehicle for 2019

Pricing of the VW's electric cars will have to fit within its brand position of targeting the ‘ambitious middle-class’, a global group whose spending power varies globally. Typically in the US, this market is centred around cars costing $35,000, while in the EU it's $28,000 and Brazil $12,000.

To deliver this dramatic strategic switch, VW Group is developing an all-new electric car platform, named MEB. This will underpin up to 30 models from all Volkswagen Group brands by 2025–2030. The group's brand portfolio includes VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda, Porsche, Bentley, Lamborghini and Bugatti.

The dramatic predicted growth for electrified VW models is such that Stackmann predicts they might contribute a similar proportion of sales to today’s 45% mix of diesels. Petrols make up the other 55%.

2017 Volkswagen e-Golf to get 186-mile range

“The electric mix could basically become the same as diesel today,” he told Autocar.

"There will still be a role for diesels, but for vehicles favoured by drivers on long-distance journeys. 

"Diesel will remain a strong part of the offering, particularly for long-distance driving. But there could be the case of a market segment where we only have petrol and electric and no diesel,” he said.

Join the debate

Add a comment…
TegTypeR 30 June 2016

As Campervan alluded to, it's

As Campervan alluded to, it's bugger all to do with range, it's to do with pricing.

Personally though, as a fit's all solution, the EV is still not the way to go and in 20 years we will be having the same discussions about them as we are now about diesels (more related to the pollution caused by the battery manufacturer / waste, rather than the output).

Still no one has addressed the issue that we still need to produce electricity to charge these bloody things and at the moment (certainly in this country) we don't have the capacity!

Campervan 30 June 2016

Electric car acceptance

Norway banning ice powered cars just shows their selfishness. At the same time they will continue to sell huge amounts of oil and gas to other countries to pay for their "greenness" policy.

If electric cars can be made with a real world range of 180 to 280 for a price similar to today's ice cars then they will indeed be on to a winner. If the range is smaller or the price higher though they will struggle just as today.

Walking 29 June 2016


The question is does autonomous and augmented reality become a market disrupter by this time frame. Is the car ownership model still valid? Will long distance business car journeys be in decline (AR)? If we have full autonomous travel there is the potential for car switching for longer journeys. What part does autonomous car pools have on EV range requirements. Norway plan to ban the sale of new ICE by 2025.