Latest What Car?/JD Power survey reveals that Jaguar and Lexus are the best manufacturers; Volkswagen's Up voted as most popular model

The What Car?/JD Power satisfaction survey has revealed that Jaguar and Lexus were the most popular manufacturers of 2014.

Jaguar previously secured itself the top position in both 2012 and 2013, after displacing Lexus following its 11-year stint at the top.

Volkswagen's compact city car, the Up, earned itself the title of most popular car, with owners highly rating its reliability, ease of use and efficiency. The Up was followed by the Volkswagen Golf Plus in second place and the Skoda Yeti in third.

Results for the survey, data for which was collected from 15,000 motorists between January and March 2014, were generated by looking at four key areas of satisfaction.

The areas considered in the survey were vehicle appeal (comprising performance, design, comfort and features), vehicle quality and reliability, ownership costs and dealer service satisfaction.

Only cars that sold in excess of 4000 units were included in the survey, totalling 109 models.

2014 manufacturer top 10

1. Jaguar

1=. Lexus

3. Mercedes-Benz

4. Skoda

5. Volkswagen

6. Honda

7. Volvo

8. Toyota

9. Kia

9=. Mazda

2014 top 10 cars

1. Volkswagen Up

2. Volkswagen Golf Plus

3. Skoda Yeti

4. Mercedes-Benz C-class

5. Volkswagen Scirocco

6. Volkswagen Tiguan

7. Lexus CT200h

7=. Skoda Octavia

7=. Volvo V70/XC70

10. Jaguar XF

2014 bottom 10 cars

100. Citroën C1

101. Ford Fusion

102. Smart ForTwo

103. Citroën C4

104. Fiat Grande Punto/Punto Evo

105. Ford Ka

106. BMW X1

106=. Citroën C3

108. Alfa Romeo Mito

109. Chevrolet Spark

Visit What Car? for more on the 2014 What Car?/JD Power survey.

Get the latest car news, reviews and galleries from Autocar direct to your inbox every week. Enter your email address below:

Our Verdict

Jaguar XF 2008-2015
The Jaguar XF is a sublime British executive saloon. It has a tremendous interior and even greater dynamics

The Jaguar XF is a sublime British executive saloon. It has a tremendous interior and even greater dynamics

Join the debate

Comments
24

29 May 2014

There was a time perhaps when Audis were reliable and Alfa Romeos were not - and in those days the JD power survey served as a useful consumer guide. But nowdays when all cars share similar quality and reliability, I think it no longer serves a purpose. For example why is the VW up singled out for praise with no mention of the identical Skoda and SEAT models - and are these models really any better, or more satisfying than the Citroen C1 which will include much older cars in the survey? As ever, this is a subjective measure of how cars perform relative to expectations, rather than an absolute comparison.

rxl

29 May 2014
LP in Brighton wrote:

There was a time perhaps when Audis were reliable and Alfa Romeos were not - and in those days the JD power survey served as a useful consumer guide. But nowdays when all cars share similar quality and reliability, I think it no longer serves a purpose. For example why is the VW up singled out for praise with no mention of the identical Skoda and SEAT models - and are these models really any better, or more satisfying than the Citroen C1 which will include much older cars in the survey? As ever, this is a subjective measure of how cars perform relative to expectations, rather than an absolute comparison.

indeed, for example why would VW buyers be happy with Golf SV , and not happy with Golf itself? they are almost the same! i bet this rankings maybe depends on the personality of the buyer... the typical customer of a Golf SV are different of a normal Golf so it have different opinion about how it feels about the car...

maybe JD powers should ask more direct statistic questions about the car and then make the report, for example, how much cost each service, how many breakdowns, how it feels driving, how the owner classify the quality of materials, how many scratches does the interior have (good to know how the materials are though).. etc...

29 May 2014

My C1 was an amazingly cheap car to run. 100% reliable and cost pennies [£1.67 exactly] in replacement parts during my ownership. It's not exactly loaded with standard equipment, but there's nothing to go wrong. It's also only a few places higher than my Ford Ka. Its low score I can understand, prompting me to never make that mistake again! My dealer phoned me saying that as an existing Ford customer, I qualified for a deal on a new Ford Ka at a preferential rate. I politely refused!

rxl

29 May 2014
n50pap wrote:

My C1 was an amazingly cheap car to run. 100% reliable and cost pennies [£1.67 exactly] in replacement parts during my ownership. It's not exactly loaded with standard equipment, but there's nothing to go wrong. It's also only a few places higher than my Ford Ka. Its low score I can understand, prompting me to never make that mistake again! My dealer phoned me saying that as an existing Ford customer, I qualified for a deal on a new Ford Ka at a preferential rate. I politely refused!

was your C1 a 1.0 petrol? if yes,then Toyota is the reason of your satisfaction...

29 May 2014

It was a 1.4 HDI actually. Expensive to buy, but the trade-in I got meant it was economical long-term.

29 May 2014

Wonder if BMW wished they'd never bothered with the X1, it sort of drags the name into the mud being 106th out of 109 cars. A position well deserved in my opinion.

 

Hydrogen cars just went POP

29 May 2014

Agree with LPinBrighton, these stats no longer makes sense. A V70 makes the top 10? I'd be surprised if Volvo sold 10 V70's in 2014 because I certainly haven't seen any - the once popular estate (I owned one) has now gone awol, yet the survey says Volvo sold at least 4000 of them. Is that worldwide or just in the UK? A Golf plus makes 2nd place yet no mention of the Golf which is exactly the same car bar a few body panels. As much as I love my VW's, I've been around long enough to know they are not the most reliable of cars and their dealerships / service dept are very inconsistent, yet we have FOUR VW's in the top 10? IMO this survey isn't worth the paper it's written on.

29 May 2014

Jaguar at the top. Again. This just illustrates how excellent Jaguar's cars are, as well as the ownership experience and their reliability which has again been proven to be world class. And they're again ahead of the supposedly superior German marques. Stunning looks, brilliant to drive, superb interiors with class-leading materials, world class engines and performance, it's clear that Jaguar ticks all the boxes and leaves so many of its rivals trailing. Unless you're after a specific type or specification of car that Jaguar doesn't offer, there is actually very little reason why you should not go for a Jaguar. Jaguar has clearly proven itself to be 'the' manufacturer and producer of the finest range of cars currently on sale.

29 May 2014
Saucerer wrote:

Jaguar at the top. Again. This just illustrates how excellent Jaguar's cars are, as well as the ownership experience and their reliability which has again been proven to be world class. And they're again ahead of the supposedly superior German marques. Stunning looks, brilliant to drive, superb interiors with class-leading materials, world class engines and performance, it's clear that Jaguar ticks all the boxes and leaves so many of its rivals trailing. Unless you're after a specific type or specification of car that Jaguar doesn't offer, there is actually very little reason why you should not go for a Jaguar. Jaguar has clearly proven itself to be 'the' manufacturer and producer of the finest range of cars currently on sale.

I would say it is more down to the ownership experience and that the owners tend to be 45 plus, so treat them with a little more respect.

29 May 2014
Saucerer wrote:

Jaguar at the top. Again. This just illustrates how excellent Jaguar's cars are, as well as the ownership experience and their reliability which has again been proven to be world class. And they're again ahead of the supposedly superior German marques. Stunning looks, brilliant to drive, superb interiors with class-leading materials, world class engines and performance, it's clear that Jaguar ticks all the boxes and leaves so many of its rivals trailing. Unless you're after a specific type or specification of car that Jaguar doesn't offer, there is actually very little reason why you should not go for a Jaguar. Jaguar has clearly proven itself to be 'the' manufacturer and producer of the finest range of cars currently on sale.

roadster?

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

  • Car review
    27 July 2016
    Sweden guns for Germany’s big-hitters with a new full-sized exec
  • Car review
    27 July 2016
    Facelifted roadster ushers in a new generation of turbo V6 AMGs
  • First Drive
    27 July 2016
    Special-edition Twingo is packed with kit for a reasonable price, but a practicality deficit and a gutless engine leave us feeling cold
  • First Drive
    26 July 2016
    An expensive but entertaining, intriguing and very usable road-going track car whose rarity may eventually underwrite its high price
  • First Drive
    26 July 2016
    French fashion brand Givenchy has come together with DS for a special edition DS 3. Is it now any closer to the class leaders?