Bernie Ecclestone has delivered a fresh twist to the ongoing dispute between the FIA and the Formula One. He says both sides are agreed that, while a budget cap to limit excessive expenditure is acceptable, the proposed ‘two tier’ technical regulations for 2010 should not be implemented.
Ecclestone, the F1 commercial rights holder, made his comments to the BBC after Friday’s lengthy meeting between the teams and the governing body had broken up without agreement and Ferrari announced that it would be suing the FIA in the French courts for illegally changing the rules.
Ecclestone displayed his customary cool in predicting that the whole confrontation will be resolved in due course, quite simply because all involved have far more at stake than simply scoring points off each other. They are arguing about their very existence.
It was easy to accept Piero Ferrari’s assertion last week that Ferrari’s DNA is firmly rooted in sports cars, GT racing and the Le Mans 24-hour classic, which the team won nine times between 1949 and 1965. But those are the sepia-tinted pages of the history books now and anybody who thinks that the Prancing Horse might seriously consider trading F1 for a head-to-head battle with Audi, Peugeot and Aston Martin at Le Mans is dreaming. They really are. All this recent posturing is no more than muscle flexing by both sides.
“I think the most important thing that upset everybody, (that) they did not like, was this two-tier technical system, so I think it has been agreed that we should not have that,” said Ecclestone.
“I think everybody is more or less happy with the budget cap, although just how much? They will go with it higher, maybe it will be lower. It’s just a case of sorting it out.”He added: “I am confident all the teams will still be racing next year.”
Further meetings to formally resolve the apparent impasse between the teams and the FIA are scheduled to take place later this week in Monte Carlo ahead of next Sunday’s Monaco Grand Prix.