Dual-motor, all-wheel-drive Model 3 variant is claimed to 'beat anything in its class on track'

Tesla boss Elon Musk has revealed more specifications for a 155mph all-wheel-drive Performance version of the Model 3 designed to rival the BMW M3.

Musk has backed claims that the new car will “beat anything in its class on the track” by stating that it will feature sports suspension that lowers it by 10mm and larger brakes.

First drive: Autocar's verdict on the Tesla Model 3

The South African-born Tesla boss had already confirmed that the Performance variant will use a powertrain layout similar to the dual-motor Model 3, suggesting it will have a motor to drive each axle.

Opting for the Model 3 dual-motor car would add $5000 [£3800] to the $35,000 [£26,650] starting price of the entry-level Model 3 in the US, Musk said, and would allow the car to reach 0-60mph in 4.5sec, with a 140mph top speed and 310-mile driving range.

Our Verdict

Tesla Model 3 2018 road test review hero front

Lowest-priced, largest-volume Tesla yet has wooed and wowed the buying public in the US. Should UK buyers join the queue for a Model 3?

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

Insight: Tesla — will the fairytale end this year?

Musk added that the Performance version will surpass these statistics because it will be capable of doing 0-60mph in 3.5sec, with a top speed of 155mph, yet still offer the same range from a fully charged battery. He did not disclose battery capacity or the power output of the motors, but said the Performance variant would cost $78,000 [£59,400] and could include all options aside from the Autopilot system.

Tesla records record losses - but boss Musk insists it is close to profitability

The driving feel of the two dual-motor models was described by Musk as “amazing". He noted the cost of the Performance version was similar to the M3, but claimed it was “15% quicker and with better handling. Will beat anything in its class on the track”.

The standard Model 3, which Autocar tested recently, has a 140mph top speed and a 0-62mph time of 5.1sec from a rear-mounted single motor, which produces around 271bhp. The entry-level Model 3 has a 220-mile US combined driving cycle range, which increases to 310 miles with an optional 75kWh long-range battery.

Musk has yet to state when the new versions would be available.

Read more

First drive: Autocar's verdict on the Tesla Model 3

Autocar's review of the BMW M3

Tesla records record losses - but boss Musk insists it is close to profitability

Insight: Tesla - will the fairytale end this year?

Join the debate

Comments
28

20 May 2018

Sadly, an M3-rivalling performance version may have been confirmed, but can Musk be trusted to actually deliver the goods? Time is running out for Tesla. To most, this just looks like more news to boost the comapny's share prices. Will the recent investment by George Soros be enough to turn the company around?

20 May 2018

What are you talking about?

How is time running out and what bollocks are you repeating?

Musk doesnt give a toss about the share price. His multi billion dollar fortune he has already he couldnt spend if he lived a hundred lifetimes -hes only concerned about getting his EV's into the market place and deliver 450ks worth of model 3 car reservations hes promised.

He has a vision which is why so many people believe in him

He may be a little late on his promise but he has never failed to deliver on that promise.

Naysayers like you who have never achieved anything like to sound of like you have a brain cell but are just parrots following what every other cretin has said...

21 May 2018
lambo1 wrote:

Musk doesnt give a toss about the share price.

Musk doesn't give a toss about share price? That there says so much about your naiviety and explains your stupid attack on the previous posters position. Has too much money to spend in his lifetime? You don't understand much do you - everything he has is tied up in a volitile share price - do you think he has bags of cash sitting in warehouse somewhere, like a Batman villian? And lets not think in terms of your lifetime spend, people like Elon who want to conquer space can blow a lifetime of cash before lunch.

21 May 2018

Me naive and stupid?

Have you read musks history?

Everything he has achieved has been through hard work, genius and sheer tenacity 

Everyhing he has is tied up in his volatile share price?

What planet are you on? He could make fortunes just by after dinner speeches let alone the fortunes he made previously from PayPal. 

Then there' space x ...

He doesn' think like people like you, he has a far longer vision and just with Tesla he has a vision for it to succeed in spite of the odds against him from the other majors

As for losing money he makes roughly 20-30% on every car he makes, his losses stem from his massive model 3 ramp up and his incredible supercharger network which none of the other majors have even a shadow of.

He will succeed because of the faith many people have in him unlike the idiots of the world who just like to chop off the legs of anyone with superior ambition.

 

21 May 2018
lambo1 wrote:

Me naive and stupid?

Have you read musks history?

Everything he has achieved has been through hard work, genius and sheer tenacity 

Everyhing he has is tied up in his volatile share price?

What planet are you on? He could make fortunes just by after dinner speeches let alone the fortunes he made previously from PayPal. 

Then there' space x ...

He doesn' think like people like you, he has a far longer vision and just with Tesla he has a vision for it to succeed in spite of the odds against him from the other majors

As for losing money he makes roughly 20-30% on every car he makes, his losses stem from his massive model 3 ramp up and his incredible supercharger network which none of the other majors have even a shadow of.

He will succeed because of the faith many people have in him unlike the idiots of the world who just like to chop off the legs of anyone with superior ambition.

 

Someone's smitten. :)

21 May 2018

Has there ever been a car company which relies so heavily on people believing whatever the boss tells them? 

21 May 2018
Folsom wrote:

people like Elon who want to conquer space can blow a lifetime of cash before lunch.

lambo1 is correct on this one. Also, I'm curious to know exactly how Elon 'blew' a lifetime of cash before the Model 3 launch? Do you understand the amount of investment required to build a megafactory and an entire charging infrastructure to support a new market?

21 May 2018
lambo1 wrote:

Musk doesnt give a toss about the share price. His multi billion dollar fortune he has already he couldnt spend if he lived a hundred lifetimes -hes only concerned about getting his EV's into the market place and deliver 450ks worth of model 3 car reservations hes promised.

You seem to be more deluded than Musk. None of these billionaires make their money by ignoring the market. As for spending their money...  they tend not to do that either! They make their billions by spending other people's money.

21 May 2018
Musk doesnt give a toss about the share price.[/quote]

Why has the company issued shares, then?

A bit of fun?

13 July 2018
lambo1 wrote:

What are you talking about?

How is time running out and what bollocks are you repeating?

Musk doesnt give a toss about the share price. 

Time is running out, flocks of potential model 3 buyers are cancelling their orders, Musk might not give a toss about share prices, but share holders do, and if he isnt careful he might find they decide they dont want him not giving a toss.. 

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Our Verdict

Tesla Model 3 2018 road test review hero front

Lowest-priced, largest-volume Tesla yet has wooed and wowed the buying public in the US. Should UK buyers join the queue for a Model 3?

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week