Although an outright ban was not announced, Scotland has bold ambitions to lower carbon emissions
Jimi Beckwith
6 September 2017

The Scottish Government has announced that it plans to phase out non-electrified petrol and diesel cars by 2032; eight years ahead of the UK Government’s outright ban

Although no ban for Scotland was announced, the Scottish Government highlighted its “bold new ambition on ultra-low emission vehicles, including electric cars and vans, with a target to phase out the need for petrol and diesel vehicles by 2032”. 

The Scottish Government’s ambitious plan involves expansion of its charging network, investment in innovation and parallel schemes to implement low emission zones to improve air quality, and encouragement of walking and cycling. 

These low emission zones will be in Scotland’s four biggest cities - Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee - and will cover all areas of road traffic, including freight and public transport vehicles. 

Scotland’s environmnet secretary, Roseanna Cunningham, said: “As well as pushing ahead with the decarbonisation of road transport, we have also announced plans to introduce low emission zones into Scotland’s four biggest cities between 2018 and 2020 – improving air quality and making our city centres a more desirable place to live, work and visit.”

Critics of the announcement, which was initially made on Twitter, pointed out the softer wording than the UK Government’s outright ban and highlighted the scale of infrastructure improvement required to realistically achieve the goal.

Experts have predicted that, within the timeframe of the UK Government's 2040 ban on sale of petrol and diesel cars, there will be very few of these cars on the market anyway, given the expansion of the hybrid and electric vehicle segment in recent years. 

Our Verdict

Seat Leon 5dr hatch

Seat's third-generation Leon is attractive and capable, but it can't quite reach the benchmark set by the imperious Volkswagen Golf

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

Join the debate

Comments
20

6 September 2017

Scotland relies on its tourism industry, now that the oil price has slumped - are they going to stop other Brits at the border if they have a petrol/diesel?

6 September 2017

So I will. Hahaha & lol.

6 September 2017
I think this is actually a test by whiteHall. Remember they brought in the smoking ban before the rest of the country life.
I'm sure I've read the government's green subsidy for electric cars is due to be pulled circa March 2018. So then a leaf goes up full price of well over £30+know. You'd have to really want one to pay that.
After then, all this talk of everybody going electric will be quietly dropped. Not to mention the extra strain on the power stations.
Don't envy people who live in a terrace house. Cable across the street, trip hazard & wake up in the morning for your commute to find some scooter has unplugged your car & you now don't have enough juice to get to work.
It'll be fine. Work perfectly, not!

6 September 2017
smokescreen38 wrote:

I think this is actually a test by whiteHall. Remember they brought in the smoking ban before the rest of the country life. I'm sure I've read the government's green subsidy for electric cars is due to be pulled circa March 2018. So then a leaf goes up full price of well over £30+know. You'd have to really want one to pay that. After then, all this talk of everybody going electric will be quietly dropped.

A £30k+ Leaf will not worry most Scots. St Nichola will merely put their benefits up even higher, and we will end up having to pay for it all! 

 

Next time, let the Englosh have a referendum on whether we want to continue to support the lazy Scots, or shall we get rid of them!

FMS

28 August 2018
unionjack wrote:

smokescreen38 wrote:

I think this is actually a test by whiteHall. Remember they brought in the smoking ban before the rest of the country life. I'm sure I've read the government's green subsidy for electric cars is due to be pulled circa March 2018. So then a leaf goes up full price of well over £30+know. You'd have to really want one to pay that. After then, all this talk of everybody going electric will be quietly dropped.

A £30k+ Leaf will not worry most Scots. St Nichola will merely put their benefits up even higher, and we will end up having to pay for it all! 

 

Next time, let the Englosh have a referendum on whether we want to continue to support the lazy Scots, or shall we get rid of them!

 

Englosh?. Would be easy to respond in kind, suffice to say that I and many others born in Scotland, had no choice as to the country of our birth (did you?). I am a unionist and voted against the independence referendum and will do so again, if it is called. Your pejorative, ill advised, illogical insults say more about you than the people you seek to denigrate. Oh and until I took early retirement, I worked continuously from the point I finished my finals.

 

Similarly to many UK citizens, I have relatives and friends across the four home countries...perhaps you do not and secure in your blinkered, ignorance, you spew insults towards people you do not know. Peel yourself off your disgusting sofa, meet new people and try to broaden your limited horizons.

 

Oh and ask any friends you (might) have, if they agree with you...if they do, see my recs above.

 

 

6 September 2017

As an EV owner down south, I am very envious of the posts on EV forums from owners north of the border where it does appear there is (in built up areas at least) a decent charging infrastructure.  Rather than laughing at the Scottish we should perhaps follow their example.

6 September 2017

They should have a referendum on this, oh no SDP and Nicola have a great record on referendums, not!

typos1 - Just can’t respect opinion

FMS

28 August 2018
xxxx wrote:

They should have a referendum on this, oh no SDP and Nicola have a great record on referendums, not!

 

SDP? No typo there, keys not adjacent...just stupidity and lack of hand/eye co-ordination. TWIT

6 September 2017

Having visitted this year I can't imagine there will be enough charging points on Skye for all the tourists to plug their hire car EV's into....

And Edinburgh should ban all vehicles - it's currently a terrible place to try and drive or walk around.

6 September 2017

They wear out tyres quicker, brakes quicker and handle like a skip lorry. I cannot, for the life of me, understand why they are regarded as the silver bullet to our air quality issues.

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week