Currently reading: New Bugatti to be unveiled next week, could be electric
Hypercar firm has confirmed 28 October debut for new model, possibly an EV using technology from Rimac
News
2 mins read
23 October 2020

Bugatti is building up to launch a new model and has confirmed the date of its unveiling as 28 October. 

The French hypercar brand is being especially cryptic in the lead-up to the covers coming off the new car. The only official image of it is a rear view of some X-shaped LED rear light strips, a light signature markedly different from that of the Chiron or its related variants (such as the Divo).

A second preview image was sent out to the media today and this gives away even less: it simply states the phrase “What if…?” followed by the numbers “0,67”. There is no firm indication of what this could mean. Certainly a 0-60mph time of 0.67sec doesn’t seem technically possible.

However, it’s plausible that the figure could be the new car’s power-to-weight ratio represented in kW/kg. By way of illustration, to get a figure of 0.67 kW/kg, a 2000kg car would need to put out 1340kW (just under 1800bhp). The use of the kilowatt unit would also suggest that we’re talking about a fully electric model. 

Interestingly, those figures are not a million miles away from the kW/kg power-to-weight ratio of a Rimac C_Two, the 1888bhp electric hypercar successor to the Croatian firm’s Concept One. Although that car was unveiled in 2018, the first customer deliveries aren’t due until next year. 

The Rimac link is important because only last month reports from Germany suggested the Volkswagen Group was considering selling the Bugatti brand to Rimac and boosting Porsche’s shareholding in Rimac from 15.5% to as much as 49%. 

It could be speculated, then, that the new Bugatti could be the brand’s first EV, with a Rimac powertrain as its base. Another theory is that it could be a track-only special with design inspiration taken from the firm’s Vision Le Mans design study shown earlier this year and utilising the well-proven 8.0-litre W16.

READ MORE

Bugatti Divo 2020 review

Rimac C_Two: 1888bhp electric hypercar on track fo 2021 deliveries

Bugatti plots "everyday" second model

Advertisement
Advertisement

Find an Autocar review

Read our review

Car review
Bugatti Chiron

Bugatti originally brought us the Veyron and now has masterminded a 1487bhp, £2.5m masterpiece that's set to become the world's fastest production car

Join the debate

Comments
9
Add a comment…
Clarkey 23 October 2020

Second, not first.

It would be the second electric Bugatti.

Ncrow 23 October 2020

I believe 0.67 would be the

I believe 0.67 would be the theoretical power to weight of a car entering the new lemans hypercar class (740bhp/1100kg)

scrap 23 October 2020

For a company that's

For a company that's delivered less than 10 cars to date, Rimac have an enviable reputation. Perhaps this IS the new Rimac... just with a badge and sales operation that can prise millions of dollars out of idiots.

Peter Cavellini 23 October 2020

scrap wrote:

scrap wrote:

For a company that's delivered less than 10 cars to date, Rimac have an enviable reputation. Perhaps this IS the new Rimac... just with a badge and sales operation that can prise millions of dollars out of idiots.

Erm, idiot millionaires...?, don't think you can be both a the same time, and not all wealthy people had money just handed to them as and when, some millionaires probably do teach there progeny the value of a Dollar, Pound or whatever, sweeping statements strangely don't cover it.

scrap 24 October 2020

Peter Cavellini wrote:

Peter Cavellini wrote:

Erm, idiot millionaires...?, don't think you can be both a the same time, and not all wealthy people had money just handed to them as and when, some millionaires probably do teach there progeny the value of a Dollar, Pound or whatever, sweeping statements strangely don't cover it.

 

Oh there are loads of them. The luxury car market panders to them. Loads of unearned inherited wealth across the world, from China to the Middle East to Knightsbridge and the White House. 

Peter Cavellini 24 October 2020

The public.

scrap wrote:

Peter Cavellini wrote:

Erm, idiot millionaires...?, don't think you can be both a the same time, and not all wealthy people had money just handed to them as and when, some millionaires probably do teach there progeny the value of a Dollar, Pound or whatever, sweeping statements strangely don't cover it.

In my experience of serving the public, I'd say the under privileged, which is really what your talking about here, are, about the same.

 

Oh there are loads of them. The luxury car market panders to them. Loads of unearned inherited wealth across the world, from China to the Middle East to Knightsbridge and the White House. 

BenzinBob 26 October 2020

whos the idiot?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm not sure

Find an Autocar car review