Currently reading: Bugatti sets land speed record
New Veyron 16.4 Super Sport model sets a new land speed record for a production car - 267.91mph
Autocar
News
3 mins read
9 July 2010

Bugatti is claiming a new production car top speed record with a combined two run average of 431.072km/h (267.91mph) with a new Veyron 16.4 Super Sport model – in the process smashing the 408.30km/h (253.76mph) set by a standard Veyron 16.4 in 2005 by 24km/h (14.9mph).

It also betters the existing world record mark of 412.28km/h (256.23mph) established by low volume US car maker, Shelby SuperCars, with its Ultimate Aero on a closed 19km (12 mile) stretch of road in Nevada in 2007.

See the official pics of the Bugatti Veyron setting its world land speed record

Confirming details of the attempt run under tight security at parent company Volkswagen’s 21km (13 mile) Ehra-Lessien test track in late June, Bugatti says the new Supersport set the record at the hands of its test driver, Pierre-Henri Raphanel and under the auspices of officials from the Guinness Book of Records.

In the first round of the attempt running in anti-clockwise direction against a prevailing wind the Super Sport hit 427.933km/h (265.96mph). It then went on to reach a wind assisted 434.211km/h (269.86mph) in a clockwise direction, giving the powered up Veyron 16.4 a combined average of 431.072km/h (267.91mph).

The new Super Sport, which Bugatti plans to produce in a limited run of no more than 30 units, is set to be the last hurrah for the Veyron 16.4, taking overall production of the flamboyant quad-turbocharged 8.0-litre 16-cylinder powered supercar up to 300 since its introduction in 2005.

Boasting lightweight carbon fibre body created using a new fibre construction and clear finish, the four-wheel drive Super Sport is claimed to weigh 50kg less than the standard Veyron 16.4 at 1840kg. Bugatti has also tweaked the Veyron 16.4’s engine, taking its peak power from 987bhp to 1183bhp. Torque also increases from 921lb ft to 1106lb ft.

Details provided by Bugatti claim the 0-100km/h (0-62mph) time remains at 2.5sec. However, the Super Sport’s 0-200km/h (0-124mph) and 0-300km/h (0-186mph) times are said to have been lowered to just 7.3sec and 15.0sec respectively.

The styling changes made to the Veyron 16.4 to bring it up to Sport Sport specification revolve around its need for added cooling and to control turbulence within the wheelarches at high speed. At the front, Bugatti has reworked the lower air ducts, bring them out closer to the sides where they continue up along the leading edge of the front wheel arches. They are complimented by new ducts behind the front wheelarches designed to relieve pressure build up.

The roof also sports two new NACA style ducts. They replace the Veyron 16.4’s traditional engine ducts set further back above the engine. Further aerodynamic modifications include a double diffusor at the rear incorporating a newly reworked double tailpipe.

Suspension upgrades, including firmer springs, larger diameter roll bars and uprated dampers, are also claimed to raise the Super Sport’s maximum lateral acceleration to 1.4g.

Bugatti has produced 260 from a planned 300 examples of the Veyron 16.4 at its boutique assembly plant at Molsheim in France, some 249 of which have been delivered to customers.

Greg Kable

See all the latest Bugatti Veyron reviews, news and video

Advertisement
Advertisement

Find an Autocar review

Read our review

Car review
Bugatti Veyron
The world doesn't need a car like the Bugatti Veyron, but the fact it exists at all is reason for celebration

The Bugatti Veyron redefines what's possible in a road car, but does it justify its eye-watering price?

Join the debate

Comments
51
Add a comment…
mantaray 17 August 2010

Re: Bugatti sets land speed record

graleman wrote:
Why do you think so many super cars are for sale with small mileage. Because they cost a fortune to maintain due to servicing and poor reliability!!
Lesia44 wrote:
Not so. The low milages are due to the nasty habit that the typical owner has of restricting their milage to protect resale value. Bonkers!
Not really! I spoke to a Murciealago owner a few years ago. He was telling me of the horrendous costs. £5000 to change the clutch!!! Faced with that sort of bill, I wouldn't keep one for long!
Oh, and the Veyron SS IS the fastest car around the Top Gear track
Lesia44 17 August 2010

Re: Bugatti sets land speed record

graleman wrote:
Why do you think so many super cars are for sale with small mileage. Because they cost a fortune to maintain due to servicing and poor reliability!!
Not so. The low milages are due to the nasty habit that the typical owner has of restricting their milage to protect resale value. Bonkers!

graleman 17 August 2010

Re: Bugatti sets land speed record

Straight Six Man.

Buggati Royale had a V12. Do try looking up the 1932 Royale details on google. Its all there!!

The Buggati has 10 radiators to keep everything cool. Reason for the shape and highish drag figures. It needs as much air into the radiators as possible. How many radiators have the other cars got?

Hahahahahaaa. on rollers!!! Never in a day will a car run that for 24 hours on rollers at those speeds!!! It was done on track.

It lapped the Top Gear track pretty quick for a ' just an ultra fast car'!

A pair of Veyrons entered your Pub car park? Hahahahahahaahaaa

As for reliability, i am talking about high miles and durability. Why do you think so many super cars are for sale with small mileage. Because they cost a fortune to maintain due to servicing and poor reliability!!

Straight Six Man wrote:

graleman wrote:
The engineering nightmares Bugatti had to contend with, like heat dissipation, frontal drag, intake air, just to name a few at top speed, was fully beaten comprehensively. Bugatti ran the car at over 240mph for over 24 hours to justify its reliability.

When you say that, I presume you mean that they ran it on rollers in a wind tunnel to simulate wind resistance? Or are you talking going round in circles at Nardo?

Also, the drag coefficient of a Veyron is a frankly terrible 0.41. Now, I know, it needs downforce, but, even when it retracts its spoilers and hunkers down, it's still 0.36 - it really ought to be rather sleeker.

graleman wrote:
Now I doubt any other Supercar could acheive the reliabilty the Bugatti has built in.

Why shouldn't they?

graleman wrote:
And talking of beauty. try standing next to the Bugatti, and look at the shape and details, and you see the car in a new light.

Done. A pair of them came into a Surrey pub I was at last year. They're even worse in the metal. Truly horrible.

graleman wrote:
Also, Supercars are used for weekends, with sqaushy bags. They are not there to carry loads of luggage!

The Bugatti has no luggage space whatsoever, but its handling is far too heavy for it to be a supercar - it's just an ultra-fast car that's no use either as a sports car or as a GT.

graleman wrote:
Last, Bugatti were known for the Royale V12. One of the most beautiful cars ever made.

I think you'll find that its engine was a 12,367cc straight-eight. Very handsome car, but a right pig to drive (even by the standards of its time) and none too reliable. Also a bit bling. Gimme a 1920s Hispano-Suiza any day. Much nicer to drive and much more reliable.

Find an Autocar car review