A Chinese court has found the Landwind X7 to be too similar to the Range Rover Evoque

Jaguar Land Rover has won a long-standing court case in China against the firm that produces a copycat version of the Range Rover Evoque.

The Landwind X7, which is only sold in China, has become notorious worldwide for being a near-replica of the popular British SUV.

China is well-known for creating copycat vehicles of Western-designed vehicles, but local law has traditionally made it hard for the makers of the original models to stop the practice.

Jaguar Land Rover described its win in the unfair competition case as a “first in the global car industry”.

The case has been underway for more than three years, having begun after the Landwind X7 was unveiled at the 2015 Guangzhou motor show.

In China, the doppelgänger is priced at the equivalent of around £14,000 – significantly less than the £40,000-plus of the locally produced Evoque.

The decision issued by the Beijing Chaoyang District Court ruled that the Evoque has five unique features that were copied directly in the X7 built by Landwind, which is owned by Jiangling Motor Holding (JMH), and that the similarity of the two vehicles has led to widespread consumer confusion. 

The court determined that all sales, manufacturing and marketing of the X7 must stop immediately. The court also demanded that Jaguar Land Rover be paid compensation.

Keith Benjamin, Jaguar Land Rover's global head of legal, said: “We welcome this decision of the Beijing Court, which further strengthens our confidence in investing in China and in the fairness of intellectual property adjudication in the Chinese courts.

Our Verdict

Land Rover Range Rover Evique 2019 first drive review - hero front

Gaydon’s baby Range Rover has matured fast for its second model generation. Remarkably refined, genuinely luxurious – although mid-range petrol power might not suit it best

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

"This ruling is a clear sign of the law being implemented appropriately to protect consumers and uphold their rights so that they are not confused or misled, whilst protecting business investment in design and innovation.”

The second-generation Evoque, already unveiled in the UK, will make its Chinese debut at the Shanghai motor show in April.

Landwind is owned by Jiangling Motor Holding (JMH), which is a joint venture between Jiangling Motors Corporation Group (JMCG) and Changan Automobile. JMH is also the largest shareholder in the separate Jiangling Motors Corporation (JMC) firm. 

Read more

Range Rover Evoque review

Gallery: history of the Chinese copycat

Join the debate

Comments
12

22 March 2019
Autocar wrote:

Keith Benjamin, Jaguar Land Rover's global head of legal, said: "We welcome this decision of the Beijing Court, which further strengthens our confidence in investing in China..."

China: "JLR if you want us to stop copycats, you've got to pour more money into China."

JLR: "Righto."

22 March 2019

This is a welcome bit of good news for JLR. I wonder what sort of compensation pay out they might expect?

22 March 2019
This is an interesting verdict and potentially shows how the political and economic landscape is further changing in China. Not too many years ago this case wouldn't have been entertained, it's likely this decision has been created to keep foreign investors happy and keep money flowing in.

22 March 2019
Kbummerby wrote:

This is an interesting verdict and potentially shows how the political and economic landscape is further changing in China. Not too many years ago this case wouldn't have been entertained, it's likely this decision has been created to keep foreign investors happy and keep money flowing in.

In my opinion this is not only the battle for money but also the competition that is growing between the two car monsters

Ponteggi-Bergamo-Brescia Davi Read

22 March 2019

Couldn't agree more... 

 

 

22 March 2019

Payout... nil. If I were JMC I would now lodge an appeal, which will take another 3 years or so, during which they continue to market, sell and recompense JLR nothing. Will the Chinese courts enforce this action prejudicial to JLR and against a Chinese manufacturer whilst all gat goes on? I’m not convinced. 

23 March 2019

If I were a lawyer, I'd have argued the cheap Chinese product couldnt be concidered a copycat as it's much more reliable.

23 March 2019

Go away - The X7 if far more dangerours that  then Evoque with substandard underpinnings, less than reliable engines, and as for Electrics, for get it, if you think you will get a quality car for £14k then i suggest you take your family out in it and see how many survive in a crash, and this cobblers about reliability, it mainly comes from idiots that have never owned, driven or even sat on any of their products, we have owned JLR cars for decades and never had any issues, the same as the rest of our family - Jingle bells will not appeal, as they are now TOLD to stop, if they go against the courts (government) then they might as well shut up shop, there WILL be a significant payout, the legal action will be in excess of $50m, the damage to reputation, the infringement of IP, could end up costing Jingle Bells well inexcess of $100 million, and NO, there was no back hand deal for more production for the removal of the copycat, JLR had already agreed to palnt 2 and 3 in China, and a battery plant, they will be investing over a Billion in Chin and the Asia Pacific over the next few years.Especially as the i-Pace is outselling virtually everything else, and the new all electric car will carry that on, before the 3rd car comes on stream, both within the next few years.

 

24 March 2019
jonboy4969 wrote:

Go away - The X7 if far more dangerours that  then Evoque with substandard underpinnings, less than reliable engines, and as for Electrics, for get it, if you think you will get a quality car for £14k then i suggest you take your family out in it and see how many survive in a crash, and this cobblers about reliability, it mainly comes from idiots that have never owned, driven or even sat on any of their products, we have owned JLR cars for decades and never had any issues, the same as the rest of our family - Jingle bells will not appeal, as they are now TOLD to stop, if they go against the courts (government) then they might as well shut up shop, there WILL be a significant payout, the legal action will be in excess of $50m, the damage to reputation, the infringement of IP, could end up costing Jingle Bells well inexcess of $100 million, and NO, there was no back hand deal for more production for the removal of the copycat, JLR had already agreed to palnt 2 and 3 in China, and a battery plant, they will be investing over a Billion in Chin and the Asia Pacific over the next few years.Especially as the i-Pace is outselling virtually everything else, and the new all electric car will carry that on, before the 3rd car comes on stream, both within the next few years.

14k can buy you a car of considerably better quality than anything JLR can currently build, it depends on how you measure quality.

24 March 2019
jonboy4969 wrote:

...and this cobblers about reliability, it mainly comes from idiots that have never owned, driven or even sat on any of their products.

Don't argue with us, argue with those indi surveys that consistantly place JLR near bottom or rock bottom of reliability surveys, surveys that are compliled by JLR owners.

The magazine you are currently reading - Haymarket, produced it's latest reliability survey 30th Nov, 2018.

Out of the 25 SUV's in the 'Large and Luxury' section, the highest placed JLR product came 16th (Discovery), F-Pace was 17th, Range Rover Sport 21st, Discovery sport 22nd, the Evoque came 3rd from bottom in 23rd place and Range Rover came rock bottom.

Facts hurt eh?

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week