Struggling brand sold to Tengzhong for an undisclosed fee
12 October 2009

General Motors has agreed to selling its ailing Hummer brand to Chinese firm Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery for an undisclosed fee.

GM had been in talks with Tengzhong for a number of months and the deal will be subject to regulatory approval.

GM boss Fritz Henderson said: "Hummer is a strong global niche brand and this agreement signifies another important milestone in writing the next chapter of both GM and Hummer."

Under the terms of the deal, Hummer's current management team will remain in place. Tengzhong will take an 80 per cent stake in the company, with the remaining 20 per cent going to Hong Kong entrepreneur Suolong Duoji.

Tengzhong will be focusing on improving efficiency, including the introduction of diesel engines.

Yang Yi, chief executive of Tengzhong, said: "We are excited about some of the initiatives already underway at Hummer that we believe our investment will be able to accelerate, particularly related to the creation of the next generation of more fuel efficient vehicles to meet not only future regulations but also customer expectations."

GM has already announced that it is discontinuing the Saturn and Pontiac brands, and is close to finalising the sale of its European brands Saab, Opel and Vauxhall.

Twitter - follow autocar.co.ukSee all the latest Hummer reviews, news and video

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

  • Maserati Levante S GranLusso 2019 road test review - hero front
    24 May 2019
    Car review
    Is this Ferrari-engined Levante the performance SUV it always should have...
  • Bentley Continental GT Convertible 2019 UK first drive review - hero front
    24 May 2019
    First Drive
    New Conti Convertible has all the many advantages of a new platform, seen...
  • Audi SQ5 2019 first drive review - hero front
    22 May 2019
    First Drive
    High-performance soft-roader adopts new sporty V6 diesel mild-hybrid power,...

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

  • Maserati Levante S GranLusso 2019 road test review - hero front
    24 May 2019
    Car review
    Is this Ferrari-engined Levante the performance SUV it always should have...
  • Bentley Continental GT Convertible 2019 UK first drive review - hero front
    24 May 2019
    First Drive
    New Conti Convertible has all the many advantages of a new platform, seen...
  • Audi SQ5 2019 first drive review - hero front
    22 May 2019
    First Drive
    High-performance soft-roader adopts new sporty V6 diesel mild-hybrid power,...