New 2015 model year Escalade promises the next generation of luxury from Cadillac; large SUV will take on the new Range Rover in Europe
Darren Moss
11 October 2013

The Cadillac Escalade SUV has been revealed, with sales in Europe set to start before the end of the year.

It's powered by a new 6.2-litre V8 engine, and while Cadillac hasn't revealed official power or torque figures it promises that the new engine is "more powerful and more efficient than previous models".

Cadillac has also revised the Escalade's suspension, which now incorporates Magnetic Ride Control to deliver more precise handling and a more controlled ride.

Inside, the Escalade provides space for eight passengers, with new leather and wood trim combinations. Cadillac says the new interior is quieter than the old model, thanks to a more rigid body structure as well as new noise-cancelling technology.

Features include a 12.3-inch digital dashboard cluster and a heads-up display for drivers, while options include a nine-inch roof-mounted entertainment system for rear passengers.

Cadillac has big ambitions for the new Escalade, with senior vice president Bob Ferguson saying it will "once again assume the leadership position among luxury SUVs". If it were to come to the UK, its closest competitor would likely to be the new Range Rover.

The car will be built in Texas, at the same plant which already produces the current Escalade as well as the extended ELV edition.

Our Verdict

Cadillac Escalade

The Cadillac Escalade is one hybrid that doesn't wear its eco credentials on its sleeve

Join the debate

Comments
22

11 October 2013

They are going to have to add a lot more bling to the front of that if they want Range Rover buyers to swap brands to Cadillac

11 October 2013

Proof that certain Americans do not possess the gene which in ordinary humans causes embarrassment.

No doubt it has ten giant "beverage" holders, door alarms (to remind you the door is open) and a legal disclaimer on the mirrors (to remind you that what you are seeing is in fact a reflection.)

Yee haw!

11 October 2013

I assume you would rather drive a car with no cup holders? I also assume you've never driven an American car, as the door alarms aren't "to remind you the door is open", they notify you if the key is still in the ignition when the door is open - so you don't lock the keys in the car.

America leads the world in basically every technology field. Possibly you've heard they put men on the moon, built the Space Station (two of them), Space Shuttles, Hubble Telescope, Voyager spacecraft that have left our Solar System, have numerous rovers on Mars, maybe you speak on an iPhone, have an iPad, use Windows, Google, YouTube, Amazon... You should try driving one of their cars. They're very good, regardless what the Eurocentrics say.

Some people need a large SUV. I think it looks very good.

11 October 2013
shomann wrote:

America leads the world in basically every technology field. Possibly you've heard they put men on the moon, built the Space Station (two of them), Space Shuttles, Hubble Telescope, Voyager spacecraft that have left our Solar System, have numerous rovers on Mars, maybe you speak on an iPhone, have an iPad, use Windows, Google, YouTube, Amazon...

You could have also included: powered aircraft, light bulbs, the internet (hardware), transistors, photocopiers, MRI scanners, GPS satnav, air conditioning and the moving assembly line. Not a bad list of inventions.

The Escalade isn't my cup of tea and doesn't really work outside the USA, but that's fine. Besides, if they stopped building it then what would the President drive around in, a Chevy Spark? I don't think so. Its built to carry eight people so it has to be that big. It's either that or a converted van (Caravelle, Viano, i800 etc). Automotive birth control at work.

11 October 2013
shomann wrote:

I assume you would rather drive a car with no cup holders? I also assume you've never driven an American car, as the door alarms aren't "to remind you the door is open", they notify you if the key is still in the ignition when the door is open - so you don't lock the keys in the car.

America leads the world in basically every technology field. Possibly you've heard they put men on the moon, built the Space Station (two of them), Space Shuttles, Hubble Telescope, Voyager spacecraft that have left our Solar System, have numerous rovers on Mars, maybe you speak on an iPhone, have an iPad, use Windows, Google, YouTube, Amazon... You should try driving one of their cars. They're very good, regardless what the Eurocentrics say.

Some people need a large SUV. I think it looks very good.

How could you lock the keys in the car? You'd need the keys to lock the car. Agree with a lot of that stuff, but on the whole american cars are junk, ancient poorly built junk, built to a incredibly low cost so they can be fitted with outdated, huge capacity engines, because that's what the market thinks it needs. It amazes me that a nation that embraces and invents some fantastic new technologies still thinks it's 1960 when it comes to building cars.

11 October 2013
Marc wrote:

...on the whole american cars are junk, ancient poorly built junk, built to a incredibly low cost so they can be fitted with outdated, huge capacity engines, because that's what the market thinks it needs. It amazes me that a nation that embraces and invents some fantastic new technologies still thinks it's 1960 when it comes to building cars.

Come on, the Cadillac Escalade may be a great vehicle or may be hopelessly outclassed by the opposition, but if you're going to make a point, don't make it with stupid, inaccurate and outmoded clichés. To do so only weakens your argument (no to mention belittling your intellect).

The reality is American cars and the American auto industry has come a long, long way in the past 20 years. Have you driven a US Ford Focus lately? How about a Chevrolet Cruze? You are aware the latest Corvette eats 911s for breakfast, right? Let me quote Edmunds.com:

edmonds.com wrote:

.Making the Corvette as quick and rewarding as a 911 is a big task, and it's been fully accomplished. The Corvette, when driven hard, is as good as the 911, maybe better. There, we said it.

11 October 2013
evanstim wrote:
Marc wrote:

...on the whole american cars are junk, ancient poorly built junk, built to a incredibly low cost so they can be fitted with outdated, huge capacity engines, because that's what the market thinks it needs. It amazes me that a nation that embraces and invents some fantastic new technologies still thinks it's 1960 when it comes to building cars.

Come on, the Cadillac Escalade may be a great vehicle or may be hopelessly outclassed by the opposition, but if you're going to make a point, don't make it with stupid, inaccurate and outmoded clichés. To do so only weakens your argument (no to mention belittling your intellect).

The reality is American cars and the American auto industry has come a long, long way in the past 20 years. Have you driven a US Ford Focus lately? How about a Chevrolet Cruze? You are aware the latest Corvette eats 911s for breakfast, right? Let me quote Edmunds.com:

edmonds.com wrote:

.Making the Corvette as quick and rewarding as a 911 is a big task, and it's been fully accomplished. The Corvette, when driven hard, is as good as the 911, maybe better. There, we said it.

There may be handful, just a handful of reasonably good cars, but I think you may find that most of them are built on European designed platforms, which have then been re-engineered for the us market, usually by taking out most of the sophisticated components to allow them to be profitable in the US market, although I may be wrong. As for the Dart, it is actually quite a good car, my Sister has one, but isn't it based on a Fiat platform (Giulietta?)

As for the Corvette it may be quicker than the 911 but that's it.

And before anyone asks, yes I have driven plenty of American cars, most of my family live in Vermont and Canada (Montreal)

11 October 2013

Escalades are grim. Recent trip to NYC showed how popular they are there where they make zero sense.

Disregarding any other vehilce, in solation they are very very clearly a "cheaply" made vehicle with excesses of chintzy chrome to attempt to make it look premium.

The American auto industry seems incapable of making a proper premium vehicle. Paradoxically a current Ford Explorer would show one of these how an SUV can look smart and apparently well put together.

Navigators, Escalades etc are just completely without taste.

RR competitor? Someone needs to open their eyes. Even without the usual comments about LR reliability, from a purely style and fit/finish in and out point of view anything US homegrown just looks a joke in comparison

11 October 2013

[quote=evanstim] Have you driven a US Ford Focus lately? ]/quote]

What on earth is "US" about a Ford Focus????? its a European car!!!

11 October 2013
Paul73][quote=evanstim wrote:

Have you driven a US Ford Focus lately? ]/quote]

What on earth is "US" about a Ford Focus????? its a European car!!!

You haven't heard of "One Ford" yet then?

Pages

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

  • Lexus LC500
    Car review
    20 October 2017
    Futuristic Lexus LC coupé mixes the latest technology with an old-school atmospheric V8
  • Maserati Levante S GranSport
    First Drive
    20 October 2017
    Get ready to trade in your diesels: Maserati’s luxury SUV finally gets the engine it’s always needed
  • Jaguar XF Sportbrake TDV6
    First Drive
    19 October 2017
    The handsome Jaguar XF Sportbrake exhibits all the hallmarks that makes the saloon great, and with the silky smooth diesel V6 makes it a compelling choice
  • Volkswagen T-Roc TDI
    First Drive
    19 October 2017
    Volkswagen's new compact crossover has the looks, the engineering and the build quality to be a resounding success, but not with this diesel engine
  • BMW M550i
    First Drive
    19 October 2017
    The all-paw M550i is a fast, effortless mile-muncher, but there's a reason why it won't be sold in the UK