EU approves crucial £350m loan plan
8 February 2010

Plans for the Swedish government to guarantee a £350 million loan to Saab from the European Investment Bank have been approved.

The European Commission ruled that 83 per cent of the loan was in line with temporary EU rules on state aid measures, drawn up to help companies through the economic and financial crisis. The remaining 17 per cent will be provided on market conditions.

"The state guarantee will contribute to the implementation of Saab's business plan without giving rise to any undue distortions of competition," said EU Competition Commissioner Neelie Kroes.

He added that Saab will pay "an adequate remuneration" for the guarantee and provide sufficient securities in case the guarantee would be drawn.

The Swedish loan has only been offered on condition that Saab produces less polluting and more eco-friendly cars.

Twitter - follow autocar.co.ukSee all the latest Saab reviews, news and video

Join the debate

Comments
1

8 February 2010

Great news and not soon enough.

Ecological responsibility is where SAAB are pushing their products. SAAB's have always been more about fuel efficiency than performance and this loan will help SAAB get back in the game.

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

  • Kia Stonic
    First Drive
    18 October 2017
    Handsome entrant into the bulging small crossover market has a strong engine and agile handling, but isn’t as comfortable or complete as rivals
  • Hyundai Kona
    First Drive
    18 October 2017
    Hyundai's funky-looking Kona crossover with a peppy three-cylinder engine makes all the right noises for the car to be a success in a crowded segment
  • Citroën C3 Aircross
    First Drive
    17 October 2017
    The Citroen C3 Aircross has got funky looks and a charming interior, but it's another small SUV, and another dynamic miss. Numb steering is just one thing keeping it from class best
  • Skoda-Karoq 2.0 TDI 4x4
    First Drive
    16 October 2017
    Diesel version of Skoda’s junior SUV is unobtrusive and undemanding, but we’d still go for the silkier petrol version of the Karoq
  • Audi Q7 e-tron
    First Drive
    16 October 2017
    Expensive and flawed but this understated diesel-electric Audi Q7 has a lot to offer