McLaren is to build a new £50m Yorkshire facility this year that will manufacture the company's next-generation carbonfibre chassis
Doug Revolta Autocar
9 February 2017

McLaren has announced it will build a £50m factory in Rotherham to manufacture its carbonfibre chassis.

The new facility will create 200 jobs and is set to begin construction early this year with full production slated for 2020.

McLaren boss: new South Yorkshire factory is nothing to do with Brexit

It is the first purpose-built facility outside of the current McLaren campus in Austria and has been formed through a partnership between McLaren Automotive, the University of Sheffield’s Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre (AMRC) in Rotherham and Sheffield City Council.

McLaren, which is gearing up to reveal the 650S successor at Geneva, says it hopes the new centre will save around £10m compared to current costs, while providing an extra £100m to the local economy by 2028. It also says there is opportunity for expansion, which would aim to double that figure to £200m.

The university and McLaren will collaborate on two years' research and development prior to the opening of the Composites Technology Centre, and McLaren Automotive will start training its apprentices immediately.

Our Verdict

McLaren 675 LT

McLaren unleashes the playful side of its Super Series line-up with this more powerful and focused version of the 650S

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

  • BMW M5 2018 long-term review hero front
    17 August 2018
    First Drive
    We rate the new F90 generation M5 as best in class. Will we think the same...
  • Volkswagen Touareg 2018 road test review hero front
    17 August 2018
    Car review
    The new version of the big 4x4 is now Volkswagen’s flagship model. Is the...
  • Honda Civic Type R
    16 August 2018
    First Drive
    It’s a warm welcome to this steaming hot hatch. But is it too fiery for...

McLaren’s CEO Mike Flewitt said the company's rich heritage in carbonfibre chassis - starting with the McLaren MP4/1 Formula 1 car of 1981 - as well as its use in current production models such as the McLaren 570S and 675LT Spider, made it an obvious decision to invest in this factory.

“Creating a facility where we can manufacture our own carbonfibre chassis structures is therefore a logical next step,” he said.

Flewitt added that the company evaluated “several” options but found this opportunity with AMRC and the University of Sheffield compelling.

“At the AMRC, we will have access to some of the world’s finest composites and materials research capabilities, and I look forward to building a world-class facility and talented team at the new McLaren Composites Technology Centre,” he said.

Join the debate

Comments
9

8 February 2017
I was going to say "well done McLaren", but assuming that no bungs were forthcoming from HMG, the assumption must be that the decision was based on a combination of hard economics and the availability of skilled workforce, so no back-patting is necessary or even appropriate. A good signal for any other high-tech companies thinking of investing here.

8 February 2017
Flametrench wrote:

I was going to say "well done McLaren", but assuming that no bungs were forthcoming from HMG, the assumption must be that the decision was based on a combination of hard economics and the availability of skilled workforce, so no back-patting is necessary or even appropriate. A good signal for any other high-tech companies thinking of investing here.

I bet there were some sweeteners somewhere along the line. Nothing sinister, necessarily, but I suspect the council will have made it worth McLaren's while.

8 February 2017
beechie wrote:
Flametrench wrote:

I was going to say "well done McLaren", but assuming that no bungs were forthcoming from HMG, the assumption must be that the decision was based on a combination of hard economics and the availability of skilled workforce, so no back-patting is necessary or even appropriate. A good signal for any other high-tech companies thinking of investing here.

I bet there were some sweeteners somewhere along the line. Nothing sinister, necessarily, but I suspect the council will have made it worth McLaren's while.

Likely a council owned site leased to Mclaren with some incentives. I've got a large former department store sitting empty in Leicestershire along with a cheque for £2m for anyone who willing to take a 25 year lease on it.

8 February 2017
Really? Be interested to know more. Drop an email address in here and I will get back to you.

8 February 2017
The Advanced Manufacturing part of Sheffield University has been having some fantastic success over the last few years with companies like Boeing and Rolls Royce. Excellent news.

8 February 2017
Really?

9 February 2017
I live around here and can tell you this is fantastic news for the local area. As well as 200 jobs hopefully McLaren will be paying a fair bit in business rates to Sheffield Council.

To answer Beechie's question from earlier, £14million has come from the Local Enterprise Partnership.

A little bit more information is on the Sheffield Star website

9 February 2017
SMMT are going to tie themselves in knots putting this down to BREXIT. lol

typos1 - Just can’t respect opinion

9 February 2017
xxxx wrote:

SMMT are going to tie themselves in knots putting this down to BREXIT. lol

More likely because Ron Dennis has been sacked.

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Our Verdict

McLaren 675 LT

McLaren unleashes the playful side of its Super Series line-up with this more powerful and focused version of the 650S

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

  • BMW M5 2018 long-term review hero front
    17 August 2018
    First Drive
    We rate the new F90 generation M5 as best in class. Will we think the same...
  • Volkswagen Touareg 2018 road test review hero front
    17 August 2018
    Car review
    The new version of the big 4x4 is now Volkswagen’s flagship model. Is the...
  • Honda Civic Type R
    16 August 2018
    First Drive
    It’s a warm welcome to this steaming hot hatch. But is it too fiery for...