Euro factory will close, Chinese factory will be built, say reports
7 July 2009

Beijing Automotive Industry Corp (BAIC) will close a European factory and build an Opel factory in China andif its bid for Vauxhall/Opel succeeds, according to reports.

BAIC has put in a bid for 660 million Euros (£568 million) for Vauxhall/Opel.

Twitter - follow autocar.co.uk

Initial reports in the Financial Times newspaper suggest it would shutdown Opel's Antwerp plant in Belgium and cut Opel's workforce across Europe.

The Chinese carmaker would then open Opel's first factory in China in 2012, building models targetted at the Chinese market.

BAIC wants a 51 percent stake in Opel and its British sister brand Vauxhall, leaving GM with 49 percent.

It says its plan for the European unit of General Motors will need less state aid than a rival bid from Magna International.

BAIC says it would need 2.64 billion Euros (£2.3 billion) in financial aid from Berlin and the German states where Opel has factories. Magna is seeking 4.5 billion Euros (£3.8 billion) in state aid for Opel.

BAIC's chances hinge on a failure of GM's negotiations with Magna. The parts supplier has the backing of large parts of the German government and regional politicians.

GM and Magna have set a target of 15 July for agreeing on the sale of a majority stake in Opel.

See all the latest Vauxhall reviews, news and video

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

  • Volkswagen Golf MHEV
    First Drive
    23 November 2017
    VW's 48V mild hybrid technology is still a few years away from production, but we’ve sampled a prototype Golf fitted with it and are suitably impressed
  • Jeep Compass
    First Drive
    23 November 2017
    Jeep enters the competitive compact SUV market with its new Compass, blending ruggedness with contemporary styling and tech
  • BMW 1 Series Saloon
    We had a short drive in a China-only front-wheel-drive BMW 1 Series
    First Drive
    23 November 2017
    A brief drive in a China-only front-wheel-drive model shows the future is bright for the 1 Series when it makes the switch from RWD next year
  • BMW 5 Series
    First Drive
    23 November 2017
    The BMW 5 Series is top of the mid-exec pack, but is there still room for a diesel saloon in everyday family life?
  • Toyota Prius PHEV
    First Drive
    23 November 2017
    Does running a plug-in hybrid really make sense as a 500-mile-a-week driver? Six months with a Toyota Prius Plug-in should give a conclusive answer