1) A BMW R100 RS, lightly fettled, at around £3000.
2) A Datsun 240Z, in tidy condition at £12,000. I’d use this a lot.
3) A tidy two-stroke kart for messing around on, at £1200. I’ve already got a trailer.
4) A Volvo XC90 to tow said trailer. Around £4500 will do it and I suspect it would get used all the time.
5) A Honda CG125 plus some parts, and a lot of time to make it look like a classic pared-down scrambler. Call it a £1200 project.
6) A mid-80s Mercedes-Benz SL for when the sun is out or there’s a posh do; £10,000.
7) I’d quite like an ex-army Land Rover Defender, plus I’d spend a few quid on some interior mats and yellowy-sandy-coloured paint. Call it £2935.
8) I know I like the idea of a big American coupe with a vast V8 for the occasional cruise. I also know that I know nothing about the Dodge Polara. But given it has a 5.7-litre V8, two doors, extreme proportions and could arrive here – according to the adverts – for around £8000, I’m game for finding out.
9) I know rather more about Caterham Sevens, because I owned one. I’d like another, and an ex-Academy car for road use, hillclimbs or racing. Around £9500 would do it.
10) I regret selling the Caterham almost as much as I regret selling my Ducati 748. It was a lot better than I was at riding it, and better looking to my eyes than any other modern motorbike. Some £2900 would get me another to look at and be in awe of.
That’s me done, then, at £55,235 precisely. That leaves me a little left over for some further fettling and maybe even some insurance.
So, how would you spend your money?
See what the other Autocar staffers picked here.