Eating behind the wheel increases the risk of food poisoning, according to new research.
A survey discovered that germs associated with food poisoning, skin infection and vomiting were regularly found inside cars.
Areas of the car where the staphylococcus bacteria germ is most commonly found include the steering wheel, gear stick and door handles. The germ can lead to skin infections and food poisoning.
The Bacillus cereus bacteria forms spores that thrive in warm areas, and was particularly common near car heaters or where food crumbs collect, such as on seats. It can cause food poisoning, severe nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.
Dr Anthony Hilton, reader in microbiology at Aston University, said: "People would be horrified at the prospect of eating from a toilet seat however they ought to be aware that eating from a contaminated car dashboard may represent the same health hazards."