Renault’s commitment to Formula One is stronger than ever after its podium in yesterday’s Singapore grand prix, according to its stand-in managing director.
Jean-Francois Caubet said Fernando Alonso’s third place finish was a big boost in convincing company executives that the company should continue its involvement in the sport.
“For Renault it's important to keep going because everybody asked the question, is Renault stopping or not?, he said.
“It's not the question for the headquarters it is a question of the team. I think in F1 if you have good results you have no problem, if you start to have bad results then it is a full stop. And we were at the limit.”
Caubet praised the team for its performance on Sunday after a turbulent week of negative publicity after it was found guilty of race-fixing last year’s Singapore grand prix. He also defended Alonso for dedicating his third place to Falvio Briatore, who left the team following the allegations.
“We won two world championships with Flavio and we will keep a very good relationship with Flavio,” he said.