Breakaway teams accused of breaches of contract
19 June 2009

Motorsport's ruling body, the FIA, has announced it will be launching legal action against the Formula One teams trying to set up a breakaway championship.

The Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) announced on Thursday night that, after failing to reach an agreement with the FIA, will start its own series next year.

Download Autocar's F1 circuit guides

Click here to read Alan Henry's blogs from the Formula One season

But the governing body has responded to FOTA with a legal threat, saying the teams, and Ferrari in particular, have binding commitments that they cannot break.

The FIA also said that it will delay the publication of the 2010 entry list, which had been expected tomorrow.

"The FIA's lawyers have now examined the FOTA threat to begin a breakaway series," said the FIA in a statement.

"The actions of FOTA as a whole, and Ferrari in particular, amount to serious violations of law including wilful interference with contractual relations, direct breaches of Ferrari's legal obligations and a grave violation of competition law.

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week

"The FIA will be issuing legal proceedings without delay.

"Preparations for the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship continue but publication of the final 2010 entry list will be put on hold while the FIA asserts its legal rights."

Add your comment

Log in or register to post comments

Find an Autocar car review

Driven this week