Formula One’s future is on the ropes once again after Max Mosley announced he will reconsider his future after “deliberate attempts” by the FOTA teams to mislead the media.
Mosley is angry about the way the terms of the deal done in Paris on Wednesday to secure the future of F1 has been reported. He claims in a letter sent to FOTA chairman Luca di Montezemolo that FOTA has made “false claims” about the terms of the agreement.
It is believed that as part of the deal, Mosley had agreed not to stand for re-election as FIA president in October. FOTA teams had claimed they had forced Mosley out and FIA Senate president Michel Boeri was now in change of F1.
In the letter, Mosley said: “I was astonished to learn that FOTA has been briefing the press that Mr Boeri has taken charge of Formula One, something which you know is completely untrue; that I had been forced out of office, also false; and, apparently, that I would have no role in the FIA after October, something which is plain nonsense, if only because of the FIA statutes.
“Given your and FOTA's deliberate attempt to mislead the media, I now consider my options open. At least until October, I am president of the FIA with the full authority of that office.
“After that it is the FIA member clubs, not you or FOTA, who will decide on the future leadership of the FIA.”
Mosley said unless FOTA retracted its comments, the deal agreed on Wednesday would collapse. If this is the case, the FOTA team’s breakaway series would be back on and the future of F1 would once again be thrown into turmoil.
“You yourself must issue a suitable correction and apology at your press conference this afternoon,” Mosley said
Mosley sent his letter to FOTA before yesterday’s arranged FOTA press conference in Italy. No apology was made at the event.