Jenson Button is still confident about his future with the Honda F1 team, despite last week’s news that the Japanese car maker is putting its Formula One operation up for sale. “We’re still working our arses off to produce a great car for 2009 and I can’t see why anyone wouldn’t buy the team. It’s in great shape,” he told the audience at last night’s Autosport awards.
“Honda selling was a massive bombshell, but we’ve got a great team and we can come through this.”
Button also said that he had visited Honda F1’s Brackley HQ on Friday and was encouraged by the team’s positive attitude. Honda has left the door open for Button to try to secure another seat for the 2009 season. The British driver has been offered an early exit from his Honda Racing contract and rumours suggest that he could test for Toro Rosso later this month.